American Exceptionalism?

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
American exceptionalism?, What the heck is that? American Exceptionalism is the samething as American arrogance, which we seem to have in abundance. Is the US exceptional? being an American I would say absolutely. If I were another nation I might have another opinion. American exceptionalism is the same thing as having a positive self image, which we encourage everyone to have. A positive self image is very important for proper mental health. I would hope that every other nation in the world has the same "exceptional" idea about themselves, as a positive self image will keep them mentally stable, and moving in a positive direction, which is good for everyone.

Do people really want the US to go around telling everyone in the world how much better we are than everyone else? It seems to me that that would be the best way to alienate the rest of the world. Weather we want to believe it or not we must get along with our neighbors and work with them.

To see how this "exceptionalism" works, just ask yourself, "how long would I stay involved with someone if all they had to say is how much better they are than you." From the American point of view we are better, but isn't it really something we should keep to ourselves?

American exceptionalism?, What the heck is that? American Exceptionalism is the samething as American arrogance, which we seem to have in abundance. Is the US exceptional? being an American I would say absolutely. If I were another nation I might have another opinion. American exceptionalism is the same thing as having a positive self image.....
Maybe, in your eyes.

Having a positive self-image should (merely) be developed thru the normal maturation-process. (Some people prefer to take-on a John Wayne persona, in lieu of the efforts required to attain maturity; See: "conservatives")

No....it should be obvious (to most) that when "conservatives" are referring-to exceptionalism, it's another o' their coded-references....that exceptional people are a result o' Divine Intervention....that (somehow) Americans are closer to God than anyone (else) on the Planet. In-other-words....if you weren't an exceptional-person....you'd have been born (somewhere) outside the U.S. borders.

It doesn't have to make sense. Eric Blair would have referred-to-it as "conservative"-think.
260.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
American exceptionalism?, What the heck is that? American Exceptionalism is the samething as American arrogance, which we seem to have in abundance. Is the US exceptional? being an American I would say absolutely. If I were another nation I might have another opinion. American exceptionalism is the same thing as having a positive self image, which we encourage everyone to have. A positive self image is very important for proper mental health. I would hope that every other nation in the world has the same "exceptional" idea about themselves, as a positive self image will keep them mentally stable, and moving in a positive direction, which is good for everyone.

Do people really want the US to go around telling everyone in the world how much better we are than everyone else? It seems to me that that would be the best way to alienate the rest of the world. Weather we want to believe it or not we must get along with our neighbors and work with them.

To see how this "exceptionalism" works, just ask yourself, "how long would I stay involved with someone if all they had to say is how much better they are than you." From the American point of view we are better, but isn't it really something we should keep to ourselves?

It is useful in ignoring our shortcomings. For instance: We are so great we could not have such a shitty health care system.

But we do.

It sounds alot like that "Master Race" crap Hitler was selling back in the '30s.

I understand the politicos cheapen everything nowadays so they can speak in trite, meaningless one-liners and pretend they're witty, but there's actually more substance to the concept of "American Exceptionalism" than what's been spouted here.

1. Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan: "We are the oldest continuing democracy in the world. . . . We don't make refugees, we admit them. When the rich of the world get sick, they come here to be treated, and when their children come of age, they send them here to our universities. We have a supple political system open to reform, and a wildly diverse culture that has moments of stress but plenty of give. . . . The point is that while terrible challenges face us -- improving a sick public education system, ending the easy-money culture, rebuilding the economy -- we are building from an extraordinary, brilliant, and enduring base."

2. Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune, often referred to as Turgot (10 May 1727 – 18 March 1781), was a French economist and statesman. Today he is best remembered as an early advocate for economic liberalism. In a 1778 letter, he described America as “the hope of mankind” because it “must show the world by example, that men can be free and tranquil, and can do without the chains that tyrants and cheats of all garb have tried to lay on them…It must give the example of political, religious, commercial and industrial liberty. The shelter which it is going to offer to the oppressed of all nations will console the earth.”
Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. “In most countries in the world your fate and your identity are handed to you; in America, you determine them for yourself. America is a country where you get to writh the script of your own life. Your life is like a blank sheet of paper, and you are the artist. This notion of being the architect of your own destiny is the incredibly powerful idea that is behind the worldwide appeal of America.” Dinesh D’Souza, born in India.

4. Maddox makes the case for American indispensability. “American values are Western values,” she titles her third chapter. She stresses to her non-American readers that whatever differences they might have with America, they would do well to understand that the United States ultimately stands for individual rights, political freedom, and the free exchange of goods—all distinctly Western ideas.
CJ Mobile

5. In the speech that JFK had prepared for delivery on the day that he was assassinated:
“ We in this country, in this generation, are--by destiny rather than choice--the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore, that we may be worthy of our power and responsibility, that we may exercise our strength with wisdom and restraint, and that we may achieve in our time and for all time the ancient vision of "peace on earth, good will toward men." That must always be our goal, and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: "except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain."
Selected Speeches of John F. Kennedy - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

6. In “Escaping Submission,” Egyptian-born Nonie Darwish writes:
“I now belong to the greatest and most moral country that ever existed on the earth. The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights [practiced in] this graceful country allowed me to practice any religion or no religion and gave me human rights I could only [have] dreamed of under Islam. I am lucky and more than lucky, I am saved. I was never discriminated against even after 9/11.”

Don't hesitate to let me know if you require more of a remedial education.

The fact that our free enterprise system has allowed us to be responsible for every major advancement in technology in the last 50yrs might make the world think we are exceptional. Where would the world be without the internet. computers, windows operating system, microwaves, and all the other advancements that came form allowing people to profit from their developments. Capitalism makes us exceptional.

To the thread starter: American exceptionalism might start with proper spelling and grammar.

1. Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan: "We are the oldest continuing democracy in the world. . . . We don't make refugees, we admit them. When the rich of the world get sick, they come here to be treated, and when their children come of age, they send them here to our universities. We have a supple political system open to reform, and a wildly diverse culture that has moments of stress but plenty of give. . . . The point is that while terrible challenges face us -- improving a sick public education system, ending the easy-money culture, rebuilding the economy -- we are building from an extraordinary, brilliant, and enduring base."

2. Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune, often referred to as Turgot (10 May 1727 – 18 March 1781), was a French economist and statesman. Today he is best remembered as an early advocate for economic liberalism. In a 1778 letter, he described America as “the hope of mankind” because it “must show the world by example, that men can be free and tranquil, and can do without the chains that tyrants and cheats of all garb have tried to lay on them…It must give the example of political, religious, commercial and industrial liberty. The shelter which it is going to offer to the oppressed of all nations will console the earth.”

3. “In most countries in the world your fate and your identity are handed to you; in America, you determine them for yourself. America is a country where you get to writh the script of your own life. Your life is like a blank sheet of paper, and you are the artist. This notion of being the architect of your own destiny is the incredibly powerful idea that is behind the worldwide appeal of America.” Dinesh D’Souza, born in India.

4. Maddox makes the case for American indispensability. “American values are Western values,” she titles her third chapter. She stresses to her non-American readers that whatever differences they might have with America, they would do well to understand that the United States ultimately stands for individual rights, political freedom, and the free exchange of goods—all distinctly Western ideas.
CJ Mobile

5. In the speech that JFK had prepared for delivery on the day that he was assassinated:
“ We in this country, in this generation, are--by destiny rather than choice--the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore, that we may be worthy of our power and responsibility, that we may exercise our strength with wisdom and restraint, and that we may achieve in our time and for all time the ancient vision of "peace on earth, good will toward men." That must always be our goal, and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: "except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain."
Selected Speeches of John F. Kennedy - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

“I now belong to the greatest and most moral country that ever existed on the earth. The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights [practiced in] this graceful country allowed me to practice any religion or no religion and gave me human rights I could only [have] dreamed of under Islam. I am lucky and more than lucky, I am saved. I was never discriminated against even after 9/11.”

1. We are not a true democracy, we are a representative democracy. The worlds oldest democracy began in ancient greece in their city states. The "rich of the world" come here for medical treatment. Have you heard the saying, "what ever you do for the least of my brothers you do for me", or "you are only as strong as your weakest link". As for education have you heard of the "Road scholar" who travels abroad for their education? Oxford england may have something to say about the prestige of their university.

2. Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune, often referred to as Turgot (10 May 1727 – 18 March 1781), was a French economist and statesman. Iwonder what she would say now over two hundred years later about American exceptionalism?

3. Dinesh D’Souza, born in India. India utilizes the caste system and has for thousands of years. to counter her statement I would refer you to the hoards of people coming to the US for our educational system as you pointed out in your second point.

4. If the free exchange of goods is so great why is there such a backlash over outsourcing, and NAFTA, and CAFTA? Political freedom? Do you know what must be done by a third party to get on the ballot? its almost herculean. Where as the two other parties recieve it automatically. Individual rights you say... how about the "eminent domain" battles that took place in the New England area.

5. / 6. A speech by JFK. and a testimonial by an Egyptian immigrant (hopefully legal). The US is exceptional but it has flaws and we are not "all that and a bag of chips" and to go around touting it makes us blind to the flaws we do have, and prevents us from going forward.

As for remedial education... I hope I was able to teach you something.

American exceptionalism is not just a healthy self-image. It's a belief that America can be the strongest nation on earth objectively.

Let me give you some examples. I live in Wisconsin. My favorite football team is the Green Bay Packers. I also think the Green Bay Packers are the best and most storied franchise in NFL history, narrowly edging out the Dallas Cowboys. I live in Wisconsin. My favorite baseball team is the Milwaukee Brewers. But the Milwaukee Brewers are absolutely nowhere near being the "best" or most storied franchise in the MLB. I live in the USA. Until recently, I would have told you that the USA is one of the very best nations in the world, easily within the top five. Other contenders would be places like Japan and France. But IMO the USA is a falling star now.

People who don't believe in American exceptionalism and who secretly idolize Europe don't, and never have, understood what's so great about America.

CJ Mobile

1. We are not a true democracy, we are a representative democracy. The worlds oldest democracy began in ancient greece in their city states. The "rich of the world" come here for medical treatment. Have you heard the saying, "what ever you do for the least of my brothers you do for me", or "you are only as strong as your weakest link". As for education have you heard of the "Road scholar" who travels abroad for their education? Oxford england may have something to say about the prestige of their university.

2. Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune, often referred to as Turgot (10 May 1727 – 18 March 1781), was a French economist and statesman. Iwonder what she would say now over two hundred years later about American exceptionalism?

3. Dinesh D’Souza, born in India. India utilizes the caste system and has for thousands of years. to counter her statement I would refer you to the hoards of people coming to the US for our educational system as you pointed out in your second point.

4. If the free exchange of goods is so great why is there such a backlash over outsourcing, and NAFTA, and CAFTA? Political freedom? Do you know what must be done by a third party to get on the ballot? its almost herculean. Where as the two other parties recieve it automatically. Individual rights you say... how about the "eminent domain" battles that took place in the New England area.

5. / 6. A speech by JFK. and a testimonial by an Egyptian immigrant (hopefully legal). The US is exceptional but it has flaws and we are not "all that and a bag of chips" and to go around touting it makes us blind to the flaws we do have, and prevents us from going forward.

It seems that your fall back position is the contra to 'let not the good be the enemy of the perfect.'
If we are not perfect, we are not exceptional?
Bizarre.

Since you are too dense or too steeped in the propaganda of the left to appreciate what you have, I'm going to suggest the simplest of definitions of the exceptionalism as observed by the entire world...

it's called the gates test.

As follows.

When a nations' gates are lifted, do folks rush in, or rush out?

CJ Mobile

It seems that your fall back position is the contra to 'let not the good be the enemy of the perfect.'
If we are not perfect, we are not exceptional?
Bizarre.

Since you are too dense or too steeped in the propaganda of the left to appreciate what you have, I'm going to suggest the simplest of definitions of the exceptionalism as observed by the entire world...

it's called the gates test.

As follows.

When a nations' gates are lifted, do folks rush in, or rush out?

Lets look at the gates test shall we. Why do businesses locate their main offices off shore? why do the rich keep their money in Swiss bank accounts? Why is it only the poor that want to immigrate to the US, and when was the last time rich foreigners wanted to relocate to the US? Spain and France have a huge problem with their illegal immigration, does this mean they are exceptional and pass the gates test?

How many countries have people risking death by either exposure in a desert or exposer in the sea, just to get here?

Make it easier. How many have people risking death of any kind to get in?

I can tell you haven't traveled much outside the country, at least that's how it seems. Most countries have great pride in who they are and most look up to America for what it is. It's only recient that the constant barrage from our own media have people turned on us for our good works.

How many countries have people risking death by either exposure in a desert or exposer in the sea, just to get here?

I can tell you haven't traveled much outside the country, at least that's how it seems. Most countries have great pride in who they are and most look up to America for what it is. It's only recient that the constant barrage from our own media have people turned on us for our good works.

Spain, and France have a huge illegal immigration problem comming from Africa. The Straights of Gibraltar is a large pathway for illegal immigrants because of its short distance to Europe from Africa. The immigration ghettos in these countries is huge. Just because we live here and only hear about our illegal immigrants doesn't mean other countries are struggling with the same issues.

My only traveling outside the US was to fight in Desert Storm, as a member of the US Army. I don't include Canada as traveling abroad.

I understand the politicos cheapen everything nowadays so they can speak in trite, meaningless one-liners and pretend they're witty, but there's actually more substance to the concept of "American Exceptionalism" than what's been spouted here.
....But, you forgot what it was.

Noted.

Wankin.gif

Spain, and France have a huge illegal immigration problem comming from Africa. The Straights of Gibraltar is a large pathway for illegal immigrants because of its short distance to Europe from Africa. The immigration ghettos in these countries is huge. Just because we live here and only hear about our illegal immigrants doesn't mean other countries are struggling with the same issues.

That's not what I asked.

I know full well that the EU has illegals.

I asked how many have people risking death to enter.

Until I start reading the Spanish times, or the France hearld I may never have an actual number for you, but I am "assuming" that, like Cuba being as close to the US, Spain sees the same type of people risking their lives to get in. This also begs the question are they trying to get into the US because it is so great here, or they trying to get in because it just happens to be the closest?

Seams to me that going anywhere other than Mexico would be an improvement. I wonder if the illegals in Spain are telling the officials, "I'm only here temporarily until I can get into the US"?

1. Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan: "We are the oldest continuing democracy in the world. . . . We don't make refugees, we admit them.
....Unless, of course, they're Brown....or, live South of us.

What else would one expect of ReRon Reagan's Drama Queen speechwriter?

18402.jpg

Wankin.gif

Hell......even the Freepers think.....

Forum List

Back