American Eco-Yarn (Democracy - %)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is an eco-conscious parable (my final one) inspired by FernGully: The Last Rainforest and Erin Brockovich.

It references Michigan Wolverines football culture and the American celebrity Tom Hanks as well as the eco-activism group the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation.

Cheers,

eagle.jpg

====

American movie star Tom Hanks and an Ivy League student named Ali were at an eco-conference sponsored by the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation in Los Angeles (California, USA). Hanks spoke to Ali about the need for social celebrities and diplomats to get involved in global warming related issues in this modern age of massive industrialization. Ali agreed and decided to draw a portrait of Hanks and post on the Internet about popular actors getting involved in social issues. Hanks read the post and decided to visit the campus of the University of Michigan during the 2018 NCAAF season and see how modern students were discussing eco-related matters!

At Michigan, Hanks spoke with the Wolverines football head coach to get a feel of how student academics mixed with politics and extra-curricular activities (especially since college-football was so darn popular at that school). Hanks attended a special prayer session of the Wolverines and realized that today's college students were involved in contemplations of ethics in various aspects of real life(!). Hanks decided to have is media-PR agent tell people about the social symbolism of his recent politically historic film Charlie Wilson's War (about an American diplomat's work in communism-challenged Afghanistan!).

As all this proceeded rather predictably and wonderfully, Ali wondered if all these social 'forces' of idealistic 'pedestrian politics' would draw out a deadly metaphysical spirit (or 'dragon') of terrorism or anti-capitalism sentiment. Ali was correct, for an ominous intellectual monster called the Bronze Dragon rose from the depths of hell to warn humanity about the reality of civilization waste (i.e., eco-pollution). Bronze Dragon smelled awful, and his message was clear --- "Doom is imagined by men, because man's civilization is stained by filth and sloth!" Ali was in church praying when he thought he 'felt' the evil presence of the Bronze Dragon.

ALI: Why are you torturing man's soul?
DRAGON: I'm a messenger of trouble...
ALI: You certainly are!
DRAGON: I came to you, since you care about politics.
ALI: I'm only a student...
DRAGON: Yes, but you seem curious about corruption.
ALI: I care about eco-activism!
DRAGON: I know, but what're you doing about it?
ALI: I plan to write to D.C. politicians and eco-diplomats.
DRAGON: Do you believe in the media?
ALI: I like the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation.
DRAGON: Perhaps social work can affect change...
ALI: I believe that.
DRAGON: Let's hope you do, because apathy abounds!
ALI: I liked what Tom Hanks (the celebrity) did.
DRAGON: Well, maybe he was just hyping his own film.
ALI: Well, good for good (hehe).
DRAGON: Are you a fan of Netflix?
ALI: Yes! I like that online movie-rental service very much.
DRAGON: Convenience is the sign that sloth is near...
ALI: Well, I like accessing Summer Olympics on television.
DRAGON: Will the Olympics be marred by terrorism?

badminton.jpg

Ali realized Bronze Dragon was a serious messenger of trouble. Ali decided to watch the new American sci-fi horror film Alien: Covenant on Netflix that evening. Ali noted how the film symbolized a modernism fear regarding conscious behaviors that lead to violence and trouble and why visions of monsters reflect a civilization angst regarding the mismanagement of intelligence and even imagination! Ali decided to write a comics-stylized 'fan-fic' inspired by Alien: Covenant in which he described the predatory alien creatures from the film (known as 'Xenomorphs') transforming into 'terrorism-focused bronze dragons.' Would human beings evolve into practical philosophers?

====

:dance:

9.jpg

Forum List

Back