American Dreams

Jun 12, 2007
East of the Pacific
I don't usually remember my dreams, and when I do, they almost never involve politics or government. In fact, the dream I had last night was probably only the second such dream in six years.

I was 22 again, and at my college commencement ceremony. After it ended, I walked with all the other students to a large administration building, to return our caps and gowns. When I got there, I saw a few individuals from each branch of the armed forces, apparently doing some kind of intake process. Each team worked one side of the building, with one taking down names, another barking out orders, and the new graduates walking into buses that were waiting nearby. There were long lines of students at every table.

Then I discovered a table with only civilians, and at about the same time an official came up to me and directed me there. These people were with the government, but I couldn't tell in what capacity. They asked me which branch I wanted to serve in, and when I told them 'none,' they demanded that I pay them - several thousand dollars! - not to have to enter the military. So I took out the cash (?!) and paid up while my friends and classmates got spirited away.

One of the most annoying dreams I've had in a long time.

I never remember anything but small snippets of my dreams.

I wish I could.

I don't usually remember my dreams, and when I do, they almost never involve politics or government. In fact, the dream I had last night was probably only the second such dream in six years.

I was 22 again, and at my college commencement ceremony. After it ended, I walked with all the other students to a large administration building, to return our caps and gowns. When I got there, I saw a few individuals from each branch of the armed forces, apparently doing some kind of intake process. Each team worked one side of the building, with one taking down names, another barking out orders, and the new graduates walking into buses that were waiting nearby. There were long lines of students at every table.

Then I discovered a table with only civilians, and at about the same time an official came up to me and directed me there. These people were with the government, but I couldn't tell in what capacity. They asked me which branch I wanted to serve in, and when I told them 'none,' they demanded that I pay them - several thousand dollars! - not to have to enter the military. So I took out the cash (?!) and paid up while my friends and classmates got spirited away.

One of the most annoying dreams I've had in a long time.

Sounds like the Civil War.

Forum List

Back