American democracy...is there such a thing...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dante, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    American democracy...is there such a thing, and if there is, what is it? I see people here speaking about the US not being a democracy, yet arguing for democratic rule.

What does it mean to be a republic and how does being a republic play into the populism of people's views? I'm thinking about people using terms likethe majority or the people , whenever they rant against what congress or the executive or the SCOTUS has done.

Myself, I have never been in favor of a pure, populist democracy. I am content the system we have---flaws and a I have very few arguments with how things work out.

I have misjudged KevinK. and a few others by not listening to what they are saying...or have I?

:question:

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Direct Democracy leads to the tyranny of the majority. That is why the FF rejected it. Unfortunately, we see the rise of a different breed of tyranny- that of the de facto oligarchy what buys political power without the slightest hint of real concern for either nation or its people. Most Americans, however, don't challenge it.

3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Were you before arguing about things and using a phrase like 'the people' to validate a point?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Oddly .. it died. The original system was designed with checks and balances, but those are being ignored by politicians of all walks now, they simply don't care. The SCOTUS was suppose to ensure that no laws were made that would discriminate against minorities, now they are instead making and pushing laws which discriminate against the majority. The sad reality is that the US Democracy has not been followed for a couple decades (probably longer). Politicians are ignoring everyone but the lobbyists and the SCOTUS is ignoring everyone but the minorities.

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Well I'm glad to hear that you may have misjudged me, though I'm not sure on what.

At any rate, we have a Republic which may be described as a representative democracy but I think that is a bit disingenuous considering that our founders specifically stated that they feared democracy as much as monarchy. I have before made the case about what the people want, though that was in regards to how they told their representatives how to vote on the bailouts and how their representatives failed them completely in that regard.

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    There are times when speaking of 'the people' is valid and times when it is not. For instance, when speaking of the rights or responsibilities of 'the people', or of the actions of the vast majority thereof, if can be valid, To speak as though all of 'the people' think a certain thing would generally be fallacious. Context is key, here.

7. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    It should also be pointed out that we've taken steps closer to a more direct democracy by essentially abolishing federalism and with the 17th Amendment.

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    The confusion oft arises from the use of 'democracy' to refer to both a type of government under which many forms (including our own) fall and a specific form, such as a direct democracy.

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    I misjudged you and I apologize, I thought you were an average blowhard. I was wrong.:eusa_whistle:

I thought you were espousing certain ideas and wasn't paying enough attention to what you were saying. It hit me last night.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    context is always key.

I was thinking along the lines of people arguing about say---the Federal Reserve Bank and complaining that the people somehow didn't vote for it's existence.