American Conservative in Japan

Welcome to USMB, RightThinking. Hope you enjoy the boards. I'm a rightie, too. I live next door to a family of liberal Democrats, and they're just as nice as pie. :)

We have a few rows over issues, but at the end of the day, we're all just patriots switching off the lights and settling down beneath starry skies. :)

Welcome to USMB, RightThinking. Hope you enjoy the boards. I'm a rightie, too. I live next door to a family of liberal Democrats, and they're just as nice as pie. :)

We have a few rows over issues, but at the end of the day, we're all just patriots switching off the lights and settling down beneath starry skies. :)
Thank you.

In social relations, I try to avoid discussion of politics if I am around Liberals.

In social relations, I try to avoid discussion of politics if I am around Liberals.

Welcome from another newbie. :)

I'm a conservative, but I enjoy talking to people who have different views - it's good to know how others think, and important to be able to test my own views and beliefs and see if they hold up under scrutiny.

Last edited:

Welcome from another newbie. :)

I'm a conservative, but I enjoy talking to people who have different views - it's good to know how others think, and important to be able to test my own views and beliefs and see if they hold up under scrutiny.
Yes, that is why I came here. I generally try to avoid political discussions with relatives and neighbors, because they can lead to hard feelings that endure.

Welcome!

You live in Japan? I'm going there in a little over 6 months. I'd be interested in your opinion as to what I should see over there :)
Can you tell me some more about your trip? Tourist? Military? Business?

And where will you go?

The usual place many recommend is Kyoto, but I think that Nara, just by it, is superior. The Japan Sea area is fascinating, too.

Please let me know more, and I can give you some more ideas and suggestions.

Yes, that is why I came here. I generally try to avoid political discussions with relatives and neighbors, because they can lead to hard feelings that endure.

True enough. Either that or you stay friendly but inside you're thinking they're kooks - or vice versa. :)

But really, no one is correct all the time, so it helps to see things from all sides. Enjoy. :)

Yes, sometimes it is hard to inhibit responding to Liberal nonsense. Generally, in real life, I try to ask a question or two - in a "naive" fashion - that I know they cannot answer: That usually gets the message across because they look foolish and do not want to be subjected to more questions.

In that way, I do not confront by directly contradicting.

I will not do that here, of course: We are here to discuss.

Welcome!

You live in Japan? I'm going there in a little over 6 months. I'd be interested in your opinion as to what I should see over there :)

And where will you go?

The usual place many recommend is Kyoto, but I think that Nara, just by it, is superior. The Japan Sea area is fascinating, too.

I'll be there just 3 full days. I'm going with a former professor of mine and a couple colleagues for a seminar at Osaka University. Never done anything like it before. If there's anything that's a "must see" that you know about please let me know :)

I lived in Osaka for 3 years. I still recommend Nara, even though many will tell you to go to Kyoto.

Kyoto has beautiful temples and such. The difference is that the temples are interspersed in a large city. They are well worth the visit. However, Nara's beautiful are is separate from the city. When you arrive at the main station - it is not very big - you can go left or right: Left leads you to the city (by short taxi), and right takes you to the beautiful parks and temples. There is the deer park where they roam around and are considered sacred. Sometimes they stop traffic. Then there are the old temples and the reclining Buddha. The grounds, going from one place to another, are enjoyable in themselves. No concern with traffic, no noise.

In the city of Osaka, go to Umeda at night. Just wander the streets there. No worry about any danger.

Try the two foods: Shabu-shabu and okonomiyaki. The latter is what the area brags about: What part of Japan has the best okonomiyaki. You cook both at your table. The pronunciation is really similar to Spanish, but just flat - don't accent or stress any syllable, and you will be understood.

Keep in touch as you approach the date.

What kind of seminar will it be?

Welcome!

And where will you go?

I'll be there just 3 full days. I'm going with a former professor of mine and a couple colleagues for a seminar at Osaka University. Never done anything like it before. If there's anything that's a "must see" that you know about please let me know :)

Well which is it? Six months or three days. Make up your fuckin' mind. :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back