American Atheists (Democrats) To Place Billboards In NY Jewish, NJ Muslim Hoods...

jesusq.jpg

Wrong.

I wish there weren't any billboards refering to any religion at all, promoting or refuting.

I wish there were more from all religious and non-religious views.

Defeating hypersensitivity in any arena is a good thing.

I don't see the reason to spend money on it. A billboard isn't going to make me change my religious views. But if people want to spend money espousing their religious beliefs they have every right to, whether it is promoting religion or refuting it, as long as it's on private property. What winds up happening is who can build the biggest, brightest, most eye-catching billboard..... each one clamoring for attention. In other words.... Advertising!

Yeah it's advertising true, but i do think it desensitizes a lot of ppl. A lot of hypersensitive types (from all religious/non-religious views) get offended at the very idea that ppl have different religious views than them, being constantly reminded that other views exist I think desensitizes them to that fact.

Just those two?

Well those groups are who the billboards are against no?

Not against, no. And please, you don't think orthodox / fundamentalist Christian groups would have a problem?
Maybe they're more afraid of them?
I doubt it, too, but there's only so much money to go around.

I'm not saying orthodox Christians wouldn't have a problem however I was under the impression these billboards were going up in Jewish and Muslim communities.

paulitician said:
Most Atheists are Democrats.
That's likely true and more accurate than what you first posted.

It's a shame that it's likely true, too.

if its true. and it probably is... it's because the GOP panders to the religious right. some people don't want the government to impose anyone's religious beliefs on them. as someone who is very appreciative of the first amendment's protection of minority religions' from practitioners of the majority religion, i know i couldn't cast a vote for a repub on the federal level.

state and local? different issue.
Yup. Although both parties do (eg. Obama saying before the election that he prays to do God's will), the GOP does it far more than the Dems. They are a huge block of voters.

The GOP apparently believes they are larger in numbers than the block of voters that find them terribly distasteful, thus they pander much more and the Dems do minimally.

I don't like the pandering at all.

I always think of what a great Republican once said:

On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

Barry Goldwater, Speech in the US Senate (16 September 1981)

That's likely true and more accurate than what you first posted.

It's a shame that it's likely true, too.

if its true. and it probably is... it's because the GOP panders to the religious right. some people don't want the government to impose anyone's religious beliefs on them. as someone who is very appreciative of the first amendment's protection of minority religions' from practitioners of the majority religion, i know i couldn't cast a vote for a repub on the federal level.

Yup. Although both parties do (eg. Obama saying before the election that he prays to do God's will), the GOP does it far more than the Dems. They are a huge block of voters.

The GOP apparently believes they are larger in numbers than the block of voters that find them terribly distasteful, thus they pander much more and the Dems do minimally.

On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

I'm out of rep for the day, but from one strumpet to another, I owe you.

:clap2:

WTG Dems! Brilliant move :cuckoo:

Atheist.jpg

Despite receiving multiple death threats, American Atheists will move forward with plans to erect billboards proclaiming, “You know it’s a myth… and you have a choice” — one in the heart of a predominantly Orthodox Jewish community in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, N.Y. on Tuesday, and another on Wednesday two blocks from a mosque in Paterson, N.J., which is home to a large Muslim population.

The Arabic word for Allah will appear on the billboard in Paterson while the Hebrew translation of God will be printed on the one in Williamsburg.

American Atheists, based in Cranford, N.J., is a civil liberties group that advocates for the “total, absolute separation of government and religion” and equality for atheists.

David Silverman, president of American Atheists, told The Daily Caller that he contacted the police on Monday after receiving threatening phone calls and faxes from disgruntled individuals angry with the decision to put up the signs.

Threats made against Silverman’s life, which he described as “anti-Marxist and anti-Semitic,” are currently being investigated by the Cranford Police Department.

“I am not overly concerned,” Silverman told TheDC. “Overall, the response has been civil.”

Silverman argues that the billboards are not meant to offend or convert anyone to Atheism and are intended only to reach “closet atheists” in highly-religious communities.

“A billboard can’t convert anyone,” he said. “No one is going to leave their religion because of something they saw on a billboard.”

Read more: American Atheists | Billboards | New Jersey | The Daily Caller

Who gives a fat f*ck!

Well those groups are who the billboards are against no?

Not against, no. And please, you don't think orthodox / fundamentalist Christian groups would have a problem?
Maybe they're more afraid of them?
I doubt it, too, but there's only so much money to go around.

I'm not saying orthodox Christians wouldn't have a problem however I was under the impression these billboards were going up in Jewish and Muslim communities.

they were, you were correct in that. I just applied it to everyone who would have been all butt hurt and uproarious about it.

It seemed only fair to be inclusive of all.

I'm out of rep for the day, but from one strumpet to another, I owe you.

:clap2:
Trollops unite!

I wish there were more from all religious and non-religious views.

Defeating hypersensitivity in any arena is a good thing.

I don't see the reason to spend money on it. A billboard isn't going to make me change my religious views. But if people want to spend money espousing their religious beliefs they have every right to, whether it is promoting religion or refuting it, as long as it's on private property. What winds up happening is who can build the biggest, brightest, most eye-catching billboard..... each one clamoring for attention. In other words.... Advertising!

Yeah it's advertising true, but i do think it desensitizes a lot of ppl. A lot of hypersensitive types (from all religious/non-religious views) get offended at the very idea that ppl have different religious views than them, being constantly reminded that other views exist I think desensitizes them to that fact.

Yes, I see your point. Exposure to different religions will educate people to the fact that their religion is not the only one that exists and maybe they will be more accepting of others. To be honest though, I think billboard-style exposure is regarded more as an in-your-face type of thing. The best exposure comes from getting to know the actual people and understanding them on a personal level. Unfortunately, exposure is difficult to do in rural areas where people of differing religions exist in fewer numbers.

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't know I had to be a democrat based on my religious views.

Glad I know now, but it sucks :(.

Most hostile Atheists are Democrats. But like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. I know where you're coming from.

There's billboards all over the US telling infidels they're going to hell unless they become christian.

These billboards aren't near as hostile as those are.

Where are those billboards? Could you show me one? I've never seen one and I'm Christian. Maybe I'm just missing them.

\

Most hostile Atheists are Democrats. But like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. I know where you're coming from.

There's billboards all over the US telling infidels they're going to hell unless they become christian.

Where are those billboards? Could you show me one? I've never seen one and I'm Christian. Maybe I'm just missing them.

\

I can't post images from work, but there's one right on this link.

The Church Billboard From Hell | Reverse Street Ads

Super crazy ones like this I just laugh at, the others that talk about hell in general or are implying non-believers are going there I just essentially ignore.

\

Super crazy ones like this I just laugh at, the others that talk about hell in general or are implying non-believers are going there I just essentially ignore.

Yeah, that one is super crazy. IMO, those are the worst kind of Christians, on second thought, they probably take 2nd place to the Westboro Baptist Church.

That was a stand in someone's parking lot, not a billboard. I've never personally seen one as you have described either. :shrug:

I'm an Atheist and so are many of my friends, and no, we are not Democrats. Every one of us is a registered independent. And I live in NYC, and not one neighborhood is exclusively muslim or jewish, but a mixture of everyone - even if there is a group that is a majority. My neighborhood in Brooklyn, especially.

\

Yeah, that one is super crazy. IMO, those are the worst kind of Christians, on second thought, they probably take 2nd place to the Westboro Baptist Church.

thid one was the best... two billboards by the lincoln tunnel...one from atheists, one from the catholic league.

and nothing wrong with either billboard....

Dueling Christmas billboards at Lincoln Tunnel by Atheists and Christians | 7online.com

\

Yeah, i have to admit i've never seen any of them either. In fact if they really were around, you would be hearing a whole lot of bitchin from the Left. You know they have that weird fixation on hating Christians. So i'm a bit skeptical on this assertion. I'll wait for some proof on it though.

That was a stand in someone's parking lot, not a billboard. I've never personally seen one as you have described either. :shrug:

I don't see what the difference is.

I'm not too worried about the terminology. They're both rectangle signs.

\

Yeah, i have to admit i've never seen any of them either. In fact if they really were around, you would be hearing a whole lot of bitchin from the Left. You know they have that weird fixation on hating Christians. So i'm a bit skeptical on this assertion. I'll wait for some proof on it though.

cool...more lies from libo... er... paulinutter...

\

cool...more lies from libo... er... paulinutter...

Show us all these Christian 'Infidels are going to Hell' billboards. I'll wait.

Forum List

Back