American and European dance bands and vocalists from the 1920s 1930s and 1940s.....

People don't know that she was a big Decca recording star before she ever went into the movies. And check it out. This is miles away from Over the Rainbow. Doesn't even sound like the same girl.

rdean....the video is not available for me.....but i found another one the same

love it!!!! :2up:

Some of the phrasing has a Billie Holiday like quality 20 years before Billie Holiday.

Doris and pet around 1940s...:biggrin:

Being in my 60's, singers like Doris and others were who I listened to. Then, their songs were new, not nostalgia. But Doris was a brave trooper. She began to gain fame as a dancer:

On October 13, 1937, the car Day was riding in became involved in an accident with a train in Hamilton, Ohio. The accident shattered her right leg and inflicted a double compound fracture. Her condition was further exacerbated during a lengthy 14 month recuperation when she fell causing additional damage to her leg. The second injury served as a catalyst for her to begin studying singing and abandoning any hopes of furthering her dancing career.

Doris Day Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Doris Day

When she began her movie career, they didn't even know she could dance.

Here she is with the amazingly talented and underrated Gene Nelson:

Seemed like there was always something going on in her life. It was her son Charles Manson was looking for when he found a pregnant Sharon Tate, who was renting the house of the son of Doris Day in one of the most infamous murders in American History.

Little Francis Gumm used to front some of the biggest bands in Hollywood with a Decca Record contract before she became a movies star. The little girl with the great big voice was how she was billed:

Little Francis Gumm used to front some of the biggest bands in Hollywood with a Decca Record contract before she became a movies star. The little girl with the great big voice was how she was billed:

and this one from the 1930s....you like it? I do ....such a classic...:)

'DEAR MR GABLE' - ( 'YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU' ) sung by JUDY GARLAND.

you like? rdean? ^^^
I like show tunes when I'm watching shows. But I really love big band.

And some artists actually got their start giving a new twist on old songs. The beginning is a little long, but once the song gets to the song, it's great:

Check out this Barry Manilow arrangement:

And you know the Candyman Song was totally inspired by big band music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doris Day with the Les Brown Orchestra - singing "Come To Baby Do".
With photo's of Doris from the 1940's.

I love Doris Day may she live to be 100~ :D

Yankee Doodle Dandy -
James Cagney -
Mickey Rooney - Judy Garland

Last edited:
Sentimental Journey Doris Day with Lyrics

Annette Hanshaw (October 18, 1901 – March 13, 1985) was an American Jazz Age singer. She was one of the most popular radio stars of the 1930s.

Annette Hanshaw - I've Got A Feeling I'm Falling (1929)

All background music is from one of the most populars vocalists in America's 1930s :biggrin:

"Louis Armstrong (August 4, 1901 – July 6, 1971), nicknamed Satchmo or Pops, was an American trumpeter, composer and singer who was one of the most influential figures in jazz. His career spanned five decades, from the 1920s to the 1960s, and different eras in jazz.

Coming to prominence in the 1920s as an "inventive" trumpet and cornet player, Armstrong was a foundational influence in jazz, shifting the focus of the music from collective improvisation to solo performance. With his instantly recognizable gravelly voice, Armstrong was also an influential singer, demonstrating great dexterity as an improviser, bending the lyrics and melody of a song for expressive purposes. He was also skilled at scat singing."
Louis Armstrong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back