American, 50% of our citizens are poor or low income. Shame!

My heart bleeds purple Kool-aid..
People who are POOR have the same opportunities as the rest in this country to MAKE themselves, NOT POOR.
but here ya go:eusa_boohoo:

You are obviously of the older generation and probably haven't been out there in the real world for quite sometime now. Let me tell you that there is no comparisson between the opportunities the wealthy children have as compared to the poor children. The wealthy children growing up have every opportunity and more. The poor children have maybe a quarter of the opportunity if that.

yeah, I'm the older generation, and I work TWO JOBS. one for the school district and another for the VFW.
maybe it's this generation that needs to get out in the REAL WORLD....
so again I say....:eusa_boohoo:

Well let me point out that I also work two jobs, the first manufacturing car parts and the second manufacturing windows. I also am a member of the VFW. Let me say that if your generation would have raised your kids right we wouldn't be wondering about todays generation.:eek:

In the OP I suggested no finger pointing or blame and all Americans should be ashamed that approximately 50% of our country's citizens are in economic difficulty. Yet immediately the victims are blamed and the facts noted in the article are denied. Some go so far as to suggest anyone with a TV and Cell phone can't be poor or struggling.

What motivates people to be so callous, so unwilling to even discuss a statistic and possible causes? Why do they place the blame on the poor and the poorly compensated? Is it because to actually think about the issue would create a cognitive dissonance or do they lack empathy?

People who are POOR have the same opportunities as the rest in this country to MAKE themselves, NOT POOR.

Sure they do (LOL). Stating all poor people are poor for the same reason suggests you rely on emotion and not reason in stating your case. In doing so anyone who actually thinks understands you're nothing more than an echo and there is nothing substantive in your words. For the poor it's not always about not being responsible; illness, accident, and the fortunes of birth are a few of the variables you overlook.

yeah right, you going to sit here and try to tell us 50% of the poor is because of those things you listed?
So you can take your shaming of the people in this country, and shove it. We do enough to help out the poor and even the lazy folks who don't deserve our help. but that is never enough with you bleeding hearts.

Sure they do (LOL). Stating all poor people are poor for the same reason suggests you rely on emotion and not reason in stating your case. In doing so anyone who actually thinks understands you're nothing more than an echo and there is nothing substantive in your words. For the poor it's not always about not being responsible; illness, accident, and the fortunes of birth are a few of the variables you overlook.

yeah right, you going to sit here and try to tell us 50% of the poor is because of those things you listed?
So you can take your shaming of the people in this country, and shove it. We do enough to help out the poor and even the lazy folks who don't deserve our help. but that is never enough with you bleeding hearts.

There is no bleeding heart. We believe that the poor should be helped with everything we got to give. We also believe that criminals should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. That includes the woman with 15 kids on welfare, the SSI guy who is seen working his a$$ off on his property, or the woman trading food stamps for alcohol.

You are obviously of the older generation and probably haven't been out there in the real world for quite sometime now. Let me tell you that there is no comparisson between the opportunities the wealthy children have as compared to the poor children. The wealthy children growing up have every opportunity and more. The poor children have maybe a quarter of the opportunity if that.

yeah, I'm the older generation, and I work TWO JOBS. one for the school district and another for the VFW.
maybe it's this generation that needs to get out in the REAL WORLD....
so again I say....:eusa_boohoo:

Well let me point out that I also work two jobs, the first manufacturing car parts and the second manufacturing windows. I also am a member of the VFW. Let me say that if your generation would have raised your kids right we wouldn't be wondering about todays generation.:eek:

Damn straight.

When I was 11 years old - I had a paper route.
When I turned 15 - I got a job at a body shop cleaning the floors, preparing tools, cleaning tools etc. I didn't get paid. My "wages" was a car. My dad and the owner worked out a deal that if I worked there for a year I got a car. If i worked there for 6 months everyday and quit - I got nothing.
For spending money I mowed lawns, shoveled snow, de-tasseled corn, collected pop bottles - you name it.

Well if a "lower" unemployment rate is because of Obama then this is Obama's fault too. This guy blows then! But in reality poor is a relative term. Very few people are poor or in poverty in America. If you have electricity, running water and food, then guess what ... you ain't poor!

By those standards why don't you just cut to the to the quick and say, "if your still breathing quit bitchin', you ain't poor you have the richness of life to live for. Somewhere in the world people are dying, and you living here in the US, alive and all, should be ashamed of yourself for thinking you are poor. It is much better to be breathing in the US than anywhere else."

The thing is. whats to bitch about, What are the "poor" missing out on, and whats the remedy ? Poor in America means a full food closet, a car or two a TV in every bedroom with a PS-3 or X-Box connected to at least one of them, a computer (AND laptop in many cases) throw in the assistance available to them. Those are the ones who answered that worn out old census you bang on and on about. So then we get it, rich folks are ass holes, and little Johnny has to munch store brand Twinkies while his lard ass plays Dead Island on X-Box while mommy gets his insulin ready. So then, Whats the solution, or are you only pissing and whining to hear your self blather ?

No.
A comment by someone with a brain.

You have to realize that the majority of the poor - are poor - by their own doing.

We all have brains; some are ruled by emotion, others by reason. The comment was and remains stupid because it was solely based on bigotry. No evidence is offered that all of those suffering from the Bush recession live with modern luxuries or that the poor are poor by their own doing. If for a moment you opened you mind and shut out the reactionary rhetoric which is primarily emotion based you might, maybe, possibly have some credibility.

As it stands you've offered evidence that you are a callous conservative and a proud and loud member of the echo chamber - in short not intelligent enough to offer reasoned arguments.

Have a nice day and thanks for sharing.

"Bush recession".......these two words shows your ignorance on the topic and your inability to get beyond what you are pre-programmed to believe.
There is nothing you can say that has any bearing to reality and your opinion on the topic is useless as it is based entirely on preconceived ideas.

Those two words describe an economic conditon which preceeded the nomination, election and oath of office taken by President Obama. Any effort to deny the Bush Adminsitration is solely responsible for the near collapse of our economy in October 2008 is foolish.

Bush signed the budgets, only the minsitry of truth denies that fault and blame is his and his alone.

We all have brains; some are ruled by emotion, others by reason. The comment was and remains stupid because it was solely based on bigotry. No evidence is offered that all of those suffering from the Bush recession live with modern luxuries or that the poor are poor by their own doing. If for a moment you opened you mind and shut out the reactionary rhetoric which is primarily emotion based you might, maybe, possibly have some credibility.

As it stands you've offered evidence that you are a callous conservative and a proud and loud member of the echo chamber - in short not intelligent enough to offer reasoned arguments.

Have a nice day and thanks for sharing.

"Bush recession".......these two words shows your ignorance on the topic and your inability to get beyond what you are pre-programmed to believe.
There is nothing you can say that has any bearing to reality and your opinion on the topic is useless as it is based entirely on preconceived ideas.

Those two words describe an economic conditon which preceeded the nomination, election and oath of office taken by President Obama. Any effort to deny the Bush Adminsitration is solely responsible for the near collapse of our economy in October 2008 is foolish.

Bush signed the budgets, only the minsitry of truth denies that fault and blame is his and his alone.

Thats not what El Presedente says. He said Clinton was to blame to. Blama told us the recession was a decade in the making.

Well if a "lower" unemployment rate is because of Obama then this is Obama's fault too. This guy blows then! But in reality poor is a relative term. Very few people are poor or in poverty in America. If you have electricity, running water and food, then guess what ... you ain't poor!

By those standards why don't you just cut to the to the quick and say, "if your still breathing quit bitchin', you ain't poor you have the richness of life to live for. Somewhere in the world people are dying, and you living here in the US, alive and all, should be ashamed of yourself for thinking you are poor. It is much better to be breathing in the US than anywhere else."

The thing is. whats to bitch about, What are the "poor" missing out on, and whats the remedy ? Poor in America means a full food closet, a car or two a TV in every bedroom with a PS-3 or X-Box connected to at least one of them, a computer (AND laptop in many cases) throw in the assistance available to them. Those are the ones who answered that worn out old census you bang on and on about. So then we get it, rich folks are ass holes, and little Johnny has to munch store brand Twinkies while his lard ass plays Dead Island on X-Box while mommy gets his insulin ready. So then, Whats the solution, or are you only pissing and whining to hear your self blather ?

You just illustrated my point. Those peole you just described are "NOT POOR", if they are getting assisstance of any kind they are "CRIMINALS", not poor. I don't understand why conservatives can't make the distinction between POOR and CRIMINAL. For an example, Bernie Maddoff is a criminal not a wealthy person.

Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income - Yahoo! Finance

About 97.3 million Americans fall into a low-income category, commonly defined as those earning between 100 and 199 percent of the poverty level, based on a new supplemental measure by the Census Bureau that is designed to provide a fuller picture of poverty. Together with the 49.1 million who fall below the poverty line and are counted as poor, they number 146.4 million, or 48 percent of the U.S. population. That's up by 4 million from 2009, the earliest numbers for the newly developed poverty measure.

Repeating the OP, which is an opinion piece, doesn't give it any more credence.

Address the data:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/historical/hstpov4.xls

Point me to a number anywhere near 50%

:eusa_whistle:

Thats not what El Presedente says. He said Clinton was to blame to. Blama told us the recession was a decade in the making.

Um ... two wars off budget, two tax cuts, measure D and a president who never used the veto seem to defy your effort to revise history.

Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income - Yahoo! Finance

About 97.3 million Americans fall into a low-income category, commonly defined as those earning between 100 and 199 percent of the poverty level, based on a new supplemental measure by the Census Bureau that is designed to provide a fuller picture of poverty. Together with the 49.1 million who fall below the poverty line and are counted as poor, they number 146.4 million, or 48 percent of the U.S. population. That's up by 4 million from 2009, the earliest numbers for the newly developed poverty measure.

*edit*
"counted as poor"???
:lol:

If I count my dog's tail as a leg, that doesn't mean it has 5 legs.

:eusa_shhh:

The thing is. whats to bitch about, What are the "poor" missing out on, and whats the remedy ?

Food, medical care, security. For starters.

When you're working, you can buy a TV. Then you get laid off-you still have the TV. Why attack people for having a cell phone? How are you supposed to communicate with potential employers, your kid's school, and your relatives if you don't have a telephone?

People haven't read the link, that's for sure. :cuckoo:

The thing is. whats to bitch about, What are the "poor" missing out on, and whats the remedy ?

When you're working, you can buy a TV. Then you get laid off-you still have the TV. Why attack people for having a cell phone? How are you supposed to communicate with potential employers, your kid's school, and your relatives if you don't have a telephone?

Few (only the crazy) starve. Few (only the ignorant) go without health care, and by security I assume you mean financial security. That is the sole responsibility of the individual. So again I ask whats the solution ? How does a guy get the things you listed ?

Few (only the crazy) starve. Few (only the ignorant) go without health care, and by security I assume you mean financial security. That is the sole responsibility of the individual. So again I ask whats the solution ? How does a guy get the things you listed ?

You do realize that poor nutrition is a real problem, right? You can't think that if you don't starve, you're OK, can you? Seriously?

Many go without health care. Please don't be silly. The working poor often lack health insurance.

Yes, financial security. Sorry, I have to go to work, but I'm sure that you realize that financial security is more complex than just personal effort.

A few flaws to your arguement, the biggest being..."Few (only the ignorant) go without health care" Look at the reality of minimum wage.

I direct you here...http://www.usmessageboard.com/general/197212-todays-observation-minimum-wage-and-the-pencil.html

You do realize that poor nutrition is a real problem, right? You can't think that if you don't starve, you're OK, can you? Seriously?

Many go without health care. Please don't be silly. The working poor often lack health insurance.

Yes, financial security. Sorry, I have to go to work, but I'm sure that you realize that financial security is more complex than just personal effort.

1.Poor nutrition is an education problem not a financial problem. Food stamps or not, you can get good healthy food cheap. Starvation is not an issue in this country, lard ass related illness is ESPECIALLY among the poor.

2.Many go without health care ? pleas dont be silly. If they go without health care it is due to laziness. A brief search through an old fashioned phone book will prove my point, as well as a 5 second Google search for free clinics in the city of your choice. And when they go to an ER they can check the "Indigent" box and be done with it, or if they are able some one from admitting will come and help them apply for medicaid to cover there visit.

3. No its not. You put some money back when you can. I work to, and at this time its an average of 27+- hours per week. We manage to save something as a buffer against hard times, not to mention retirement. Its not complex at all, and if anything it is also an education problem.

All that aside, how should those issues be addressed then ? Whats the solution.

Forum List

Back