America?

What does "American" typically refer to?

• Someone from the country of the United States of America

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Someone from anywhere in North or South America

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
GotZoom said:
Technically correct -vs- socially correct.

The English language has been distorted through the ages.

All it takes is one person to use a word in a certain way, and off it goes.

"Bad" is actually good. Something "sick" is really cool.

American is also a cheese.

For further "adaptations" of the English language see:

www.urbandictionary.com

Apt remark, and sometimes lamentably too true. I miss the old definition of gay. Homosexuals are mostly NOT.

HomoPHOBIA is another example of misuse gone into the mainstream.

America comes from the Italian Mapmaker of similar appellation. But what's in a name?

The ClayTaurus said:
And that something might actually be hot, which might mean it had no temperature whatsoever.

Like a really sick Red RX8 with Enkei Rims, Pirelli tires, Sirius Radio, and Tanabe sway bars?

dmp said:
Grammatically yes. Socially it'd raise eyebrows. Sorta like 'I'm going down to the boat for a romantic evening with my grandkids.'

Potato potaato tomato tomaato :D

Sorry just being a wise-ass

-Cp said:
Jeph - if someone says that another person is "European" - what country do you think of first?

Most likely, you and others don't have a particular country associated with that term. Why? Because it hasn't been bastardized by the social-quo like the word American has...

Just because a word has been - mostly - alligned with something doesn't make it the correct definition for it.

In fact, one of my biggest pet-peve's is how pop-culture has adulterated the modern dictionary to include definitions of a word that - say 20 or 30 years ago - didn't fit.

Good case in point is the word "Gay" - how that ever became associated with the perversion of Homosexuality is beyond me.

Look up that word when I was a kid in the dictionary, and it used to only mean the latter of the definition (looking at Jimmyeatworld's post) - Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.

Just because a word strikes a common conclusion with folks, doesn't mean that you have to get behind their same misunderstandings and misuse of it.

This might be the smartest thing you've written, online. :)

:D

-Cp said:
Jeph - if someone says that another person is "European" - what country do you think of first?

Most likely, you and others don't have a particular country associated with that term. Why? Because it hasn't been bastardized by the social-quo like the word American has...

Just because a word has been - mostly - alligned with something doesn't make it the correct definition for it.

In fact, one of my biggest pet-peve's is how pop-culture has adulterated the modern dictionary to include definitions of a word that - say 20 or 30 years ago - didn't fit.

Good case in point is the word "Gay" - how that ever became associated with the perversion of Homosexuality is beyond me.

Look up that word when I was a kid in the dictionary, and it used to only mean the latter of the definition (looking at Jimmyeatworld's post) - Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.

Just because a word strikes a common conclusion with folks, doesn't mean that you have to get behind their same misunderstandings and misuse of it.

So you think that the use of 'American' to mean someone from the US is just as bas as using the word 'gay' to describe a homosexual?

dmp said:
That's not your point. Your point was 'Mexians are NOT Americans.' If your point was to debate common usage this thread would be pointless because I've conceded the 'common usage' definition. I've not conceded "American" is technically inaccurate when describing "Mexicans".

Based on Mr. Webster 'American' MAY be technically accurate when describing someone/thing from Peru. Or Greenland.

Mexicans, Peruvians, and Greenlanders are not Americans, based on the most commonly understood and accepted usage of the word. If you wanted to call Mexicans "North Americans," that might be understood and acceptable, although the term "Latin American" describes just about everyone south of the Rio Grande, and would therefore be a better term.

gop_jeff said:
Mexicans, Peruvians, and Greenlanders are not Americans, based on the most commonly understood and accepted usage of the word. If you wanted to call Mexicans "North Americans," that might be understood and acceptable, although the term "Latin American" describes just about everyone south of the Rio Grande, and would therefore be a better term.

...except they ARE americans by definition.
darinshrug.gif

gop_jeff said:

Maybe not COMMONLY UNDERSTOOD and ACCEPTED USAGE...

But, technically by definition, they are.

on this one..While serving in Germany in the Army The German Border guards I worked with thought I was Spanish...since I wasn't as tall as they and had blk hair and brn eyes...They would greet me in Deutsch and ask me if I spoke Deutsch...I would answer very little...then they would ask me if I spoke Espanol...I would answer... a little in Spanish...they would frown and say "Amerikanish"? I would smile and say quite good! So I would say most in Europe consider "American" to be from the USA!...IMO

archangel said:
on this one..While serving in Germany in the Army The German Border guards I worked with thought I was Spanish...since I wasn't as tall as they and had blk hair and brn eyes...They would greet me in Deutsch and ask me if I spoke Deutsch...I would answer very little...then they would ask me if I spoke Espanol...I would answer... a little in Spanish...they would frown and say "Amerikanish"? I would smile and say quite good! So I would say most in Europe consider "American" to be from the USA!...IMO

Again - Geesh people - nobody is debating the 'common' usage of a term - that point has been conceded. I'm saying it's 'technically correct' to call candians and mexicans 'american'; based on the Definition of the word "American."

dmp said:
Again - Geesh people - nobody is debating the 'common' usage of a term - that point has been conceded. I'm saying it's 'technically correct' to call candians and mexicans 'american'; based on the Definition of the word "American."
:stupid:

dmp said:
The guy in your avatar sure can cut-a-rug. :)

Or 'chair' as the case may be. :)

He certainly can. You should see him dance to "My Humps." :eek:

Actually, on second thought, you shouldn't. :cry:

I find your avatar strangely disturbing.

Said1 said:
Anywho, up here we say American when talking about you
rednecks, then roll our eyes. Like this ------> :rolleyes: It explains everything. :tng: :D

I was told when In Europe to say I was Canadian, I did it but didn't quite get the reaction I was hoping for :poke: :laugh:

gop_jeff said:
So you think that the use of 'American' to mean someone from the US is just as bas as using the word 'gay' to describe a homosexual?

Not at all... we are in the United States of AMERICA - we're American's ...

Canada folks are Canadians - but technically are Americans in the sense they live in North America...

-Cp said:
Not at all... we are in the United States of AMERICA - we're American's ...

Canada folks are Canadians - but technically are Americans in the sense they live in North America...

We have a common continent, but identify with nation. Like Africans, Bostwana, Lesotho.....still African.

Forum List

Back