America?

What does "American" typically refer to?

• Someone from the country of the United States of America

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Someone from anywhere in North or South America

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
There's a certain admin i know; I'll call him "Deren." (not his real name) He seems to think that the word "American" applies equally to both people in/from the United States of America and people in/from the continents of North America and South America. In other words, someone from Ohio is just as "American" as someone from, say, Peru or Alberta.

What say you?

gop_jeff said:
There's a certain admin i know; I'll call him "Deren." (not his real name) He seems to think that the word "American" applies equally to both people in/from the United States of America and people in/from the continents of North America and South America. In other words, someone from Ohio is just as "American" as someone from, say, Peru or Alberta.

What say you?

I'd say he should look into being a lawyer.

From Dictionary.com

2 entries found for American.
A·mer·i·can Audio pronunciation of "American" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mr-kn)

adj.

1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.

n.

1. A native or inhabitant of America.
2. A citizen of the United States.
3. American English.

Seems it can be used both ways.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=American

The word 'Typically' Skews your poll results. ;)

'typical' use was never in question. Whether or not it's 'legal' or 'right' to use 'American' in other contexts was the question.

I have sources, shown again by Don, which indicate my positions is correct. You have 'well....MOST PEOPLE say...'

dmp said:

'typical' use was never in question. Whether or not it's 'legal' or 'right' to use 'American' in other contexts was the question.

I have sources, shown again by Don, which indicate my positions is correct. You have 'well....MOST PEOPLE say...'
how-to-become-a-lawyer.jpg

No YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER!

dmp said:

My point (which is already being proven, 4-0) is that when you use the word "American," people automatically think of someone from the USA, not someone from the Western Hemisphere. Because there is a nationality called "American," that is the most common usage, by far, of the word. Your attempts to use the word in its broader sense, no matter how technically correct it may be, will eventually lead only to confusion.

And, if you want further proof, ask Said1 if she considers herself to be an American.

gop_jeff said:
My point (which is already being proven, 4-0) is that when you use the word "American," people automatically think of someone from the USA, not someone from the Western Hemisphere. Because there is a nationality called "American," that is the most common usage, by far, of the word. Your attempts to use the word in its broader sense, no matter how technically correct it may be, will eventually lead only to confusion.

And, if you want further proof, ask Said1 if she considers herself to be an American.

That's not your point. Your point was 'Mexians are NOT Americans.' If your point was to debate common usage this thread would be pointless because I've conceded the 'common usage' definition. I've not conceded "American" is technically inaccurate when describing "Mexicans".

Based on Mr. Webster 'American' MAY be technically accurate when describing someone/thing from Peru. Or Greenland.

GotZoom said:
From Dictionary.com

2 entries found for American.
A·mer·i·can Audio pronunciation of "American" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mr-kn)

adj.

1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.

n.

1. A native or inhabitant of America.
2. A citizen of the United States.
3. American English.

Seems it can be used both ways.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=American

gay ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g)
adj. gay·er, gay·est
Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
Given to social pleasures.
Dissolute; licentious.

So, if you are really happy about something, it's okay if someone says, "Man! I don't think I've ever seen him that gay! That is the gayest man I've ever seen!"

And that's acceptable. Right?

Jimmyeatworld said:
So, if you are really happy about something, it's okay if someone says, "Man! I don't think I've ever seen him that gay! That is the gayest man I've ever seen!"

And that's acceptable. Right?

Grammatically yes. Socially it'd raise eyebrows. Sorta like 'I'm going down to the boat for a romantic evening with my grandkids.'

Jeph - if someone says that another person is "European" - what country do you think of first?

Most likely, you and others don't have a particular country associated with that term. Why? Because it hasn't been bastardized by the social-quo like the word American has...

Just because a word has been - mostly - alligned with something doesn't make it the correct definition for it.

In fact, one of my biggest pet-peve's is how pop-culture has adulterated the modern dictionary to include definitions of a word that - say 20 or 30 years ago - didn't fit.

Good case in point is the word "Gay" - how that ever became associated with the perversion of Homosexuality is beyond me.

Look up that word when I was a kid in the dictionary, and it used to only mean the latter of the definition (looking at Jimmyeatworld's post) - Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.

Just because a word strikes a common conclusion with folks, doesn't mean that you have to get behind their same misunderstandings and misuse of it.

Okay, this subject was fun and all, but I'm going to have to leave it behind before someone starts in with, "Actually, we should be United Statesians"

Technically correct -vs- socially correct.

The English language has been distorted through the ages.

All it takes is one person to use a word in a certain way, and off it goes.

"Bad" is actually good. Something "sick" is really cool.

American is also a cheese.

For further "adaptations" of the English language see:

www.urbandictionary.com

Forum List

Back