America Tells Europe, "Shove It"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Nov 6, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    from MSNBC's London editor

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Copy of the e-mail I sent to Chris Hampson at MSNBC news.

I'll let you know if I get a response. (don't hold your breath)
    ===================================================

To: <news@msnbc.com>
    Subject: "Stuff it" article
    Date: Saturday, November 06, 2004 6:31 PM

Mr. Hampson,

I enjoyed reading your article, but I must say that I believe that you have arrived at an inaccurate conclusion in regard to the sentiment of most Americans toward Europe, especially toward the British.

My personal attitude, as well as that of the overwhelming majority of those with whom I have discussed the subject, does not agree with your conclusion that our vote was intended to tell Europeans to "stuff it" . Far from it. Most Americans take a keen interest in Europe. We have been allies with the British for over 100 years. That has not changed nor is it likely to.

This election was not about Europe. This election was about domestic issues, security and most of all, this election was about ethics and values. Conservatives were deeply embarrassed by Clinton's freshman antics. We believe that he embarrassed this country and eroded the dignity of the office of President of the United States. We believe that he precipitated the attacks on Sep 11, 2001 through his weak to non-existent responses to numerous terror attacks on this country. In this election, the Democrats have presented us with a candidate who has even fewer principles and less backbone than Clinton. Frankly, the thought of having someone as lacking in convictions as Kerry occupying the Oval Office sickens me. The thought of having an indecisive waffler in charge of our national security terrifies me.

The attempted interference in our election by the likes of Chirac was never a central issue. What Americans resent about France, Germany and Russia is the fact that these nations opposed our actions in Iraq, not because they felt these actions to be inappropriate, but because our actions would end their profiteering and reveal their despicable and devious perversion of the oil-for-food program. Because Chirac was the most vocal in his hypocritical denouncement of our action against Saddam, we have acquired an absolute contempt and disdain for Chirac and the French government.

Is there a certain satisfaction in giving the finger to the French by re-electing George Bush? I would be less than honest if I denied that. Matter of fact, I'm still feeling just a bit smug about that.

What those in Europe need to remember is that Americans are going to do that which is best for America. Just as the British will do that which is best for Britain. Just as the citizens of any nation would do. Yes, we realize that our choice of president has an impact on the rest of the world. That does not give the rest of the world any right to vote in our elections, nor to speculate how so many of us could be so stupid.

If I may, I would like to take this opportunity to tell that sad producer of birdcage liner material, the Mirror, to "stuff it".

Thank you. That felt good.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I agree with Merlin. My vote and my opinion that the majority ofEuropeans can shove it had absolutely nothing to do with each other. As far as I'm concerned, we told Europe to shove it about 228 years ago.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    :happy2: that's a good way to put it

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Yes! Stuff it! That felt so good I had to print it again. :salute:

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Last I checked, we beat Europe in every single war we fought with them. I think they know exactly where they can cram their opinions, they just refuse to. Now, I don't hate Europe (except MAYBE the French), but this latest fiasco of "anybody but Bush" struck a nerve, and I'll be a long time forgiving.