America should do as the Swiss, and require everyone have an AR-15 rifle.

America should do as the Swiss government does and require everyone to have a Millitary type rifle. We are at war with terrorists who are all armed with fully automatic AK-47 assault rifles. Its time we wake up to that fact.

Just for your own information, the idea that the Swiss require citizens to own guns is a myth. They do have a lot of gun owners. But it is something like 28 persons out of 100 that own guns.

Versus 42 out of 100 homes in the US.

America should do as the Swiss government does and require everyone to have a Millitary type rifle. We are at war with terrorists who are all armed with fully automatic AK-47 assault rifles. Its time we wake up to that fact.
Gun laws in Switzerland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firearms legislation in Switzerland allows the free purchase of semi-automatic, but not fully automatic firearms by Swiss citizens and foreigners with permanent residence.[note 1][1] Permits for concealed carrying in public are issued sparingly.[note 2][2] The acquisition of fully automatic weapons, suppressors and target lasers likewise requires special permits issued by the cantonal firearms office.[3] Use of hollow-point and soft-point ammunition is limited to hunting.[4]...

Swiss gun culture has emerged from a long tradition of shooting (tirs), which served as a formative element of national identity in the post-Napoleonic Restoration of the Confederacy,[5] and the long-standing practice of a militia organization of the Swiss Armyin which soldiers' service rifles are stored privately at their homes. In addition to this, many cantons (notably the alpine cantons of Grisonsand Valais) have strong traditions of hunting, accounting for a large but unknown number of privately held hunting rifles.

Interestingly, although the Swiss are as relaxed about gun ownership as we are, they have a lot less gun homicides.
8 million people most on the same page as compared to the US 320 million on about a million different pages......i can see why.....
exactly --the US has over 30 times the population

Gun laws in Switzerland

Firearms legislation in Switzerland allows the free purchase of semi-automatic, but not fully automatic firearms by Swiss citizens and foreigners with permanent residence.[note 1][1] Permits for concealed carrying in public are issued sparingly.[note 2][2] The acquisition of fully automatic weapons, suppressors and target lasers likewise requires special permits issued by the cantonal firearms office.[3] Use of hollow-point and soft-point ammunition is limited to hunting.[4]...

Swiss gun culture has emerged from a long tradition of shooting (tirs), which served as a formative element of national identity in the post-Napoleonic Restoration of the Confederacy,[5] and the long-standing practice of a militia organization of the Swiss Armyin which soldiers' service rifles are stored privately at their homes. In addition to this, many cantons (notably the alpine cantons of Grisonsand Valais) have strong traditions of hunting, accounting for a large but unknown number of privately held hunting rifles.

Interestingly, although the Swiss are as relaxed about gun ownership as we are, they have a lot less gun homicides.
8 million people most on the same page as compared to the US 320 million on about a million different pages......i can see why.....
exactly --the US has over 30 times the population
the swiss would be able to pick an evening of TV to watch,our people would never get past agreeing on the first hour....

Gun laws in Switzerland

They are not even CLOSE to as relaxed about guns as we are.
Article says nothing about pistols except the part about conceal carry licenses.

The AR-15 is not a military rifle.

Yet the US Army buys the Colt LE6920 AKA Colt Model 750 as well as the M-4 and M-16 and uses it in combat situations. For not being a Military Rifle, it sure does fake it real well.

You can stop this nonsense right now. The AR-15 was introduced in 1958 specifically for the Military and wasn't offered to the Civilian world until 1962. My original rifle I qualified on for the AF in Basic was an AR-15. The original AR-15 had a diamond charging handle and the original M-16 had a T charging handle. The ones that I fired had diamond charging handles. In combat, both are used mostly in semi auto settings to conserve ammo. Even if you use the 3 shot burst on the Model 604, only the first shot is on target. With the M-4 in semi auto, it's exactly the same as an AR-15 you buy off the shelf in all manners in combat. There is a bunch of damned good reasons it's lasted so long as the #1 Combat Assault Rifle sought after and I think those have been covered over and over. I guess you think enough time has passed that you think we have forgotten them. Hasn't happened, cupcake.

Gun laws in Switzerland

They are not even CLOSE to as relaxed about guns as we are.
Article says nothing about pistols except the part about conceal carry licenses.

Pistols in Switzerland is a huge NO NO. Unless you have the proper permits and licenses and those are real hard to get. Rifles and Shotguns are one thing but handguns are quite another thing.

Yet the US Army buys the Colt LE6920 AKA Colt Model 750 as well as the M-4 and M-16 and uses it in combat situations. For not being a Military Rifle, it sure does fake it real well.

You can stop this nonsense right now. The AR-15 was introduced in 1958 specifically for the Military and wasn't offered to the Civilian world until 1962. My original rifle I qualified on for the AF in Basic was an AR-15. The original AR-15 had a diamond charging handle and the original M-16 had a T charging handle. The ones that I fired had diamond charging handles. In combat, both are used mostly in semi auto settings to conserve ammo. Even if you use the 3 shot burst on the Model 604, only the first shot is on target. With the M-4 in semi auto, it's exactly the same as an AR-15 you buy off the shelf in all manners in combat. There is a bunch of damned good reasons it's lasted so long as the #1 Combat Assault Rifle sought after and I think those have been covered over and over. I guess you think enough time has passed that you think we have forgotten them. Hasn't happened, cupcake.
The M-4 and M-16 has selective fire the AR-15 does not. i can go down to my local gun store and buy AR-15's to my hearts content but can not get an M-16 or M-4.

Har-de-har, har. On a trip to Switzerland a few years ago, the Swiss policy on weapons was explained to me. The Swiss have compulsory military service, and when you leave, you keep your weapon. But ALL OF THE AMMUNITION IS KEPT BY THE GOVERNMENT. When you want to do a little target practice, you have to go down to the local armory and request ammo, and account for it. Nobody has live ammunition in their homes.

So Swiss gun ownership is fairly meaningless, as an analogy to the American concept of gun ownership.

What a waste of a good firearm. Hippies will just trying to turn them into bongs and musical instruments.

Keep firearm ownership voluntary... it keeps the other guys disarmed.

I don't want an AR 15

I prefer a rifle that packs more punch like my .308

The M-4 and M-16 has selective fire the AR-15 does not. i can go down to my local gun store and buy AR-15's to my hearts content but can not get an M-16 or M-4.

And yet in combat, the M-16 and the M-4 is used in semi auto setting making it exactly like the AR-15 in all ways. You get caught using the 3 shot burst and you are going to have a big mean Gunny run your muzzle up your behind if you get back. You may not get back because you will probably have run out of ammo during the fire fight and got your buddies killed in the process. In a combat situation, there is Zero difference in between the AR-15 and the M-4. In fact, many Military Armories have a selection of AR-15s on the shelves which they do issue out.

The features that makes the M-4 such a baddass assault rifle, the AR-15 has all the same features. It's a Military Rifle any way you try to hide it.

I don't want an AR 15

I prefer a rifle that packs more punch like my .308

I qualified on a AR-15 Model 601 before it was changed to the M-16. Later on, it was stamped on the side AR-15 Mode 601 (M-16). They added the M-16 style rails that the M-16A-1 was ordered with by the Army. I didn't care for it. Since the AF used commercial Ammo and not the dirty reloads that the Army used, we didn't have a jam problem so that wasn't it. It just didn't feel right. I also qualified with with a M-14 firing the308 and a very special M-741A firing the 300 H&H Magnum. I liked the M-14 but fell in lust with that big M-741A but the gun weighed something like 15 pounds but damn, you could hit things at 800 yrds all day long and a good shooter could go out 1200 yds or more. That big rifle was only made for about 4 years and are considered collectors items today.

It is an exact copy of an M-16 except for the full-auto option. The M-16 is a war weapon. If A=B, and B=C, then A=C. Get it?

Har-de-har, har. On a trip to Switzerland a few years ago, the Swiss policy on weapons was explained to me. The Swiss have compulsory military service, and when you leave, you keep your weapon. But ALL OF THE AMMUNITION IS KEPT BY THE GOVERNMENT. When you want to do a little target practice, you have to go down to the local armory and request ammo, and account for it. Nobody has live ammunition in their homes.

So Swiss gun ownership is fairly meaningless, as an analogy to the American concept of gun ownership.
Well, that's one way to solve the problem. Ban the bullets. LOL

It is an exact copy of an M-16 except for the full-auto option. The M-16 is a war weapon. If A=B, and B=C, then A=C. Get it?

It's the full auto option that makes it a military weapon

A semiautomatic rifle is a civilian rifle

There are no full auto M-16s or M-4s in the Military Inventory. All of them have been converted to 3 shot selective fire. Too many young kids went into a firefight and sprayed and prayed, ran out of ammo and were mowed down along with their units. Full Auto just wastes ammo. In fact, 3 shot burst wastes 2 out of the 3 shots as well. Only the first shot is on target. The model number of all the M-16s is M-16A-4 and all the older models have been upgraded to that model and restamped. The A-4 is 3 shot burst only. The same goes for the M-4 which is really what the modern AR-15 is a copy of.

If you want a fully auto M-16, you can buy one. It's going to be an older one. You can by a M-16A-1 that's a piece of crap that will have to be rebuilt starting at bout 30,000 bucks but you are going to need a FFL or an EFL license to buy it. And you had better check with your local laws to see if you can own a fully auto or not. Or you can buy a piece of history for 3 grand, the AR-15 Model 601 (M-16) that's probably in real good condition since it wasn't taken out of service until 1992 which is also full auto.

And there are some AR-15 Semi Autos in the Military Armories today. The only way to tell is to look at the selector lever. Alll other features are exactly the same as the M-4.

Actually, it's the other way around. The M-16 is actually a copy of the AR-15. The AR-15 predates the M-16 by about 10 years.

There are no full auto M-16s or M-4s in the Military Inventory. All of them have been converted to 3 shot selective fire. Too many young kids went into a firefight and sprayed and prayed, ran out of ammo and were mowed down along with their units. Full Auto just wastes ammo. In fact, 3 shot burst wastes 2 out of the 3 shots as well. Only the first shot is on target. The model number of all the M-16s is M-16A-4 and all the older models have been upgraded to that model and restamped. The A-4 is 3 shot burst only. The same goes for the M-4 which is really what the modern AR-15 is a copy of.

If you want a fully auto M-16, you can buy one. It's going to be an older one. You can by a M-16A-1 that's a piece of crap that will have to be rebuilt starting at bout 30,000 bucks but you are going to need a FFL or an EFL license to buy it. And you had better check with your local laws to see if you can own a fully auto or not. Or you can buy a piece of history for 3 grand, the AR-15 Model 601 (M-16) that's probably in real good condition since it wasn't taken out of service until 1992 which is also full auto.

And there are some AR-15 Semi Autos in the Military Armories today. The only way to tell is to look at the selector lever. Alll other features are exactly the same as the M-4.

Point taken

So then it's the selective fire that make it a military weapon

Semiautomatic rifles are still civilian weapons

Forum List

Back