America needs to back away from giving out welfare

They tried that in Florida. The percentage of participants that failed their drug tests is lower that the overall percentage of drug users in Florida. The program wasted millions of dollars.

And now Oklahoma wants to do it, knowing that it's a failure?

What a stupid state.
Stupid is not doing so. Because the percentage of drug users is lower than the percentage of drug users as welfare recipients is hardly an argument. People who use their own money to purchase drugs is something we have little control over. People who use tax dollars to do the same is something we can definitely discourage.

I suspect stupidity here, but not that of the states.

It IS a stupid point. And it proves absolutely nothing even on a positive result with the tests - other than they found someone else who uses. To say that government funds are being used to buy drugs is a stretch at best. People also fake back spasms - but what do you think the real percentage is, and how much could you save the system when you factor in the cost of filtering?

You're barking up the wrong tree and trying to fix one of the things that would have the least impact on the system as a whole.
Pretty convoluted stuff. As I understand it, you're saying that these drug users budget so as to make sure their expenses for the purchase of drugs do not come from the tax payer?:confused:

Given your lack of cohesion, I can only assume you're worried about your next welfare check for this very reason.

I think we MUST scale back on welfare for abled adults. There's no way we can afford to give everyone welfare as it's economically impossible and will lead to lower living standards. Yep, double edge sword as we can't have a strong economy with everyone feeding off of it.

We need to only give such to people that lost their jobs or for a short term thing. If we're going to do anything we need to improve our educational system.

Lot's of folks think the answer is in scaling back or slicing off services. But have you even thought of the waste that goes on in our government? Obama was able to trim $716 Billion out of the Medicare system without impacting services or payments. Kind of makes me wonder how much more cash is bleeding out...

You make a good point...I think the president should get a group of men together to go over the federal budget looking for waste. This waste should be minimized to help cut the federal debt.

Washington politics doesn't make that an easy job. No one wants to eliminate their own fiefdom, and there's so much crossover of services that it turns into a huge turf war. This is a job for congress to straighten out - after all, it was congress that put us here in the 1st place.

I think the welfare culture of people in America is rather disgusting. I've spent some time in the dregs of society and the welfare class of people are the absolute lowest people. A lot of them really do just engage in anti-societal behavior while abusing drugs and reproducing. I don't know what to do with these people. If the economy was better and there was actually occupational opportunities out there I think that would get a lot of people out of that class. However a lot of them will always be largely useless and unproductive members of society. And the scary thing is they're just multiplying every generation.

Stupid is not doing so. Because the percentage of drug users is lower than the percentage of drug users as welfare recipients is hardly an argument. People who use their own money to purchase drugs is something we have little control over. People who use tax dollars to do the same is something we can definitely discourage.

I suspect stupidity here, but not that of the states.

It IS a stupid point. And it proves absolutely nothing even on a positive result with the tests - other than they found someone else who uses. To say that government funds are being used to buy drugs is a stretch at best. People also fake back spasms - but what do you think the real percentage is, and how much could you save the system when you factor in the cost of filtering?

You're barking up the wrong tree and trying to fix one of the things that would have the least impact on the system as a whole.
Pretty convoluted stuff. As I understand it, you're saying that these drug users budget so as to make sure their expenses for the purchase of drugs do not come from the tax payer?:confused:

Given your lack of cohesion, I can only assume you're worried about your next welfare check for this very reason.

MY lack of cohesion?

Have you even considered that there may another source for drugs? I used to have friends that would drop by to turn me on all the time, which means that even if I hadn't been spending my PAYCHECK, a whiz quiz would have turned up positive. Simply using drugs can't be logically used to infer the source of those drug's funding.

Typical 1 dimensional thinking though - like that of assuming that I'm also a recipient.

So they can spend millions on drug tests to save tens of thousands in welfare payments. Fooking geniuses.
I can easily imagine that crack heads might not bother applying for welfare if they know they'll be tested. That would be preemption. Look, if you like you are free to give charitably to your local crack heads. I am sure they would be grateful for fueling their addictions and I'm sure would staunch the bleeding of your heart. Just don't ask the rest of to the same.

You do know that they can't properly test for coke or crack, right? It doesn't stay in the system very long at all.

A poppyseed roll will show up as opium, though.

Honest.

MY lack of cohesion?

Have you even considered that there may another source for drugs? I used to have friends that would drop by to turn me on all the time, which means that even if I hadn't been spending my PAYCHECK, a whiz quiz would have turned up positive. Simply using drugs can't be logically used to infer the source of those drug's funding.

Typical 1 dimensional thinking though - like that of assuming that I'm also a recipient.
I suppose it's a bit like saying a crack whore doesn't spend taxpayers money on drugs. She prostitutes herself to support her habit, perhaps without a cash transaction, and the welfare money goes for food and support of however many children she may have. Is that what you're saying now?

MY lack of cohesion?

I suppose it's a bit like saying a crack whore doesn't spend taxpayers money on drugs. She prostitutes herself to support her habit, perhaps without a cash transaction, and the welfare money goes for food and support of however many children she may have. Is that what you're saying now?

Now you're just being a dick. You have no clue about what you're talking about.

MY lack of cohesion?

What I'm talking about?! Hell, I'm trying to figure out your garbled nonsense. You make it sound like all welfare recipients have access to free drugs if they like. And in a way you might be right, though probably not as you intended. But hell, your argument is anyone's guess.

Here's one way to start.

Welfare Drug Testing Bill Passed by Oklahoma House | Testing It Up

HB 2388 will call for drug testing of applicants for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), and withhold payments to those who will test positive for illegal drug use. The bill passed by the House, however, has already undergone changes in the Senate. While the original version of the bill called for testing for everyone applying for aid, the Senate modified it such that not everyone will be subjected to testing.

The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) currently continues to provide assistance to recipients who test positive for illegal drug while undergoing treatment, according to Sen. David Holt, Senate author of the bill. HB 2388 will halt payments while still providing treatment.

More unconstitutional BIG government intervention from the so called 'less government' right wingers. It is not working in Florida, just as studies had shown when other states looked into it, AND, it is costing Florida taxpayers money, not saving money as proponents of the law claimed.

Florida's welfare drug tests cost more money than state saves, data shows

Required drug tests for people seeking welfare benefits ended up costing taxpayers more than it saved and failed to curb the number of prospective applicants, data used against the state in an ongoing legal battle shows.

Of the 4,086 applicants who scheduled drug tests while the law was enforced, 108 people, or 2.6 percent, failed, most often testing positive for marijuana.

The numbers, confirming previous estimates, show that taxpayers spent $118,140 to reimburse people for drug test costs, at an average of $35 per screening.

The state’s net loss? $45,780.

"That’s not counting attorneys and court fees and the thousands of hours of staff time it took to implement this policy"

The law also didn’t impact the number of people who applied for benefits.

Read more here: Florida's welfare drug tests cost more money than state saves, data shows - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com

To put it another way, only 2.6 percent of applicants tested positive for illegal drugs — a rate more than three times lower than the 8.13 percent of all Floridians, age 12 and up, estimated by the federal government to use illegal drugs. Now might be a good time to remind folks that in the debate over the bill, Gov. Rick Scott argued that this law was necessary because, he said, welfare recipients used drugs at a higher rate than the general population.

America needs to back away from giving out welfare ...to rich people?

I quite agree.

There are arguments and there are arguments:

Florida's policy of requiring drug testing for welfare applicants, for example, appears to have reduced new welfare enrollments by as much as 48 percent. Potential applicants who use illegal drugs simply chose not to enter the welfare system. Of course, they could sign up for welfare in the future, but first would have to refrain from taking the illegal drugs. The choice was theirs.

Finally, welfare programs should be designed to promote self-sufficiency among able-bodied adults and to discourage long-term dependence on government. Scientific evaluation of Florida's drug-testing requirement showed that welfare recipients who used illegal drugs had earnings that were 30 percent lower than those who did not. Quite simply, drug use was linked to lower levels of work.

Welfare Programs Should Promote Self-sufficiency | Debate Club | US News Opinion

And of course there are studies and there are studies:

“Drug users seeking taxpayer-funded cash assistance find it cheaper and easier to skip the drug test and forgo that benefit rather than submit positive results,” Bragdon said in a statement. “If an applicant knows he will test positive for drug use, and knows he will be denied benefits for up to a year, a drug test is a waste of time and money. But that drug user’s loss is the taxpayers’ gain.”

Bragdon’s study found the state saved almost $923,000 by not providing assistance to the 574 applicants who did not pass drug tests. As the state spent less than $162,000 on reimbursing applicants who took tests that found no drugs in their systems, Florida had a net savings of more than $761,000. Bragdon insisted that, if this pattern holds, the state will save more than $9 million in the first year of the law.

Bragdon took aim at critics of the law who maintained that it produced no significant savings. With 9.6 percent of applicants ineligible for welfare due to drug tests, the report found the program would save the state money as long as more than 1.87 percent of applicants were denied assistance. If the results from Florida are reflected in other states, taxpayers across the nation would save more than $173 million annually.

“Given the significant taxpayer savings and other positive initial results of this drug testing requirement for new applicants, policymakers would be wise to expand this requirement to include all current recipients of welfare cash assistance,” Bragdon said.

Drug News You Can Use | Welfare Drug Test Saves Taxpayer Money, Study Finds | Psychemedics

I think we MUST scale back on welfare for abled adults. There's no way we can afford to give everyone welfare as it's economically impossible and will lead to lower living standards. Yep, double edge sword as we can't have a strong economy with everyone feeding off of it.

We need to only give such to people that lost their jobs or for a short term thing. If we're going to do anything we need to improve our educational system.

How many are there, Matthew? Any idea?

Florida's policy of requiring drug testing for welfare applicants, for example, appears to have reduced new welfare enrollments by as much as 48 percent. Potential applicants who use illegal drugs simply chose not to enter the welfare system. Of course, they could sign up for welfare in the future, but first would have to refrain from taking the illegal drugs. The choice was theirs.

Finally, welfare programs should be designed to promote self-sufficiency among able-bodied adults and to discourage long-term dependence on government. Scientific evaluation of Florida's drug-testing requirement showed that welfare recipients who used illegal drugs had earnings that were 30 percent lower than those who did not. Quite simply, drug use was linked to lower levels of work.

Welfare Programs Should Promote Self-sufficiency | Debate Club | US News Opinion

“Drug users seeking taxpayer-funded cash assistance find it cheaper and easier to skip the drug test and forgo that benefit rather than submit positive results,” Bragdon said in a statement. “If an applicant knows he will test positive for drug use, and knows he will be denied benefits for up to a year, a drug test is a waste of time and money. But that drug user’s loss is the taxpayers’ gain.”

Bragdon’s study found the state saved almost $923,000 by not providing assistance to the 574 applicants who did not pass drug tests. As the state spent less than $162,000 on reimbursing applicants who took tests that found no drugs in their systems, Florida had a net savings of more than $761,000. Bragdon insisted that, if this pattern holds, the state will save more than $9 million in the first year of the law.

Bragdon took aim at critics of the law who maintained that it produced no significant savings. With 9.6 percent of applicants ineligible for welfare due to drug tests, the report found the program would save the state money as long as more than 1.87 percent of applicants were denied assistance. If the results from Florida are reflected in other states, taxpayers across the nation would save more than $173 million annually.

“Given the significant taxpayer savings and other positive initial results of this drug testing requirement for new applicants, policymakers would be wise to expand this requirement to include all current recipients of welfare cash assistance,” Bragdon said.

Drug News You Can Use | Welfare Drug Test Saves Taxpayer Money, Study Finds | Psychemedics

There is bullshit, and then there is more bullshit.

In the first article, it only took a few paragraphs to spot the bullshit.

Oh please. Some people honestly believe their shit doesn't stink as "in my study is as incontestable as my opinion". While I can believe this works well on these kinds of sites, you have to accept that not everyone is a drone like yourself.

Last edited:

Oh please. Some people honestly believe their shit doesn't stink as "in my study is as incontestable as my opinion". While I can believe this works well on these kinds of sites, you have to accept that not everyone is a drone like yourself.

Your first article starts out with lies, but we are supposed to overlook those lies, and somehow believe in the validity of the article's conclusions?

Your Heritage Foundation BULLSHIT article LIES:

The U.S. government this year spent over $900 billion on 70 different means-tested welfare programs. These programs (not including Social Security, Medicare, or Unemployment Insurance) provide cash, food, housing, medical care, and targeted social services to poor and low-income Americans.

As welfare spending approaches $1 trillion a year

This LIE is based on a Congressional Research Service study commissioned by Senate Republicans.

The federal government spends $16.5 billion a year on welfare (TANF) and, combined, the states spend another $10 billion.

The con is pretty easy to see when you read the actual CRS report. Senate Republicans are counting 83 separate (and wildly different) programs as “welfare” in order to make the case that the government is spending more on poor people than old people. The majority of this money is Medicaid and CHIP, which are healthcare spending, which is increasing for the same reason that Medicare spending is increasing, which is that healthcare costs are increasing. (And Medicaid is much less generous than Medicare, because it is a program for poor people, not old people.) But so many other things now also count as welfare, including Pell Grants, public works spending, Head Start, child support enforcement, the Child Tax Credit, Foster Care assistance, housing for old people, and much more. They’re also counting the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is, traditionally, the form of “welfare” that conservative Republicans actually support. Basically, all social spending (though specifically not spending on rich old people or on healthcare for veterans with service-related disabilities, which Republicans requested be excluded from the CRS report) now counts as “welfare.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your BULLSHIT 'study' is from the right wing 'think' tank (oxymoron) the Foundation for Government Accountability. The 'study' was used in Florida Governor Rick Scott's defense of his controversial welfare drug-testing law, requiring benefit recipients to take a drug test as a qualification for benefits.

A Bush-appointed federal judge threw out the Foundation's study as evidence, claiming it was "not competent expert opinion" and that "even a cursory review of certain assumptions in the pamphlet undermines its conclusions."

Get the unemployment rate down to 4% and then talk about scaling down welfare

What I'm talking about?! Hell, I'm trying to figure out your garbled nonsense. You make it sound like all welfare recipients have access to free drugs if they like. And in a way you might be right, though probably not as you intended. But hell, your argument is anyone's guess.

Then let me spell it out for you.
You are rushing to judgment in making the assumption that if a welfare recipient tests positive for drugs then they are using welfare funds to support their habits when you have no clear evidence that that is, indeed, the case. The only thing that may be positively said without equivocating is that some welfare recipients use drugs. Anything beyond that is based on supposition alone.

I know I used some big words in there... try to keep up.

are you nutz? obama just won re election,

Forum List

Back