America must increase Taxes now.!, or suffer the consequences in the Future.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
part of the reason for America's econmoic troubles is the fact that the government has diminished resources from all these years of illogical tax cuts, in a world of increased costs for many goods and services.

I suggest an immediate accross the board tax increase on all Americans.
I mean after all, how else are we going to pay for all those $700 billion dollar and $250 billion dollar bailout plans?.The Government will carry a huge deficeit, if we do not raise Taxes now.
The alternative if America does not increase Taxes now, will be an even worse economic catastrophe, at some point in the future.With both the Government, and the private sector crashing economically.

Last edited:
America doesn't need more taxes any more than America needs less taxes.

America needs fair taxes. Well... that and simple paperwork.

-Joe

part of the reason for America's econmoic troubles is the fact that the government has diminished resources from all these years of illogical tax cuts, in a world of increased costs for many goods and services.

I suggest an immediate accross the board tax increase on all Americans.
I mean after all, how else are we going to pay for all those $700 billion dollar and $250 billion dollar bailout plans?.The Government will carry a huge deficeit, if we do not raise Taxes now.
The alternative if America does not increase Taxes now, will be an even worse economic catastrophe, at some point in the future.With both the Government, and the private sector crashing economically.

I suggest a 10% general sales tax plus 12% income tax on businesses after the first $50,000.00, with non-executive payroll and benefits as the only deduction.

We could add 12% on individuals after $500,000.00 until we get back on our feet, but we shouldn't need to keep that one very long.

Tax code: Make it simple, make it fair.

-Joe

Last edited:
tax-718182.jpg

Fair & simple. What more could you ask for.

We don't need tax hikes, because there is no amount of money that congress cannot spend. We need spending cuts.

Because bankruptcy is...

Bring home all the troops from around the world and you save how much money? Abolish federal organizations that are unnecessary, IRS and department of education are some off the top of my head.

In other words... BALANCE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT'S BUDGET.

I suggest a 10% general sales tax plus 12% income tax on businesses after the first $50,000.00, with non-executive payroll and benefits as the only deduction.

We could add 12% on individuals after $500,000.00 until we get back on our feet, but we shouldn't need to keep that one very long.

Tax code: Make it simple, make it fair.

-Joe

America must react to a Global increase in many goods and services.
This poster "avg Joe" has the right idea. A accross the board %12 percent
tax increase on everyone, some of this money could go towards funding an extended
unemployent fund for many unemployed individuals.
We need to prepare for rising costs in the future.

America must react to a Global increase in many goods and services.
This poster "avg Joe" has the right idea. A accross the board %12 percent
tax increase on everyone, some of this money could go towards funding an extended
unemployent fund for many unemployed individuals.
We need to prepare for rising costs in the future.

Dude, you misunderstood me. I favor a 12% tax on corporate profits after $50,000 per year, with non-executive payroll and benefits as the only deduction along with a general sales tax of 10%.

These two taxes would be enough. This would be tax relief for some and an increase for many, especially corporations big enough to have the lawyers and accountants on staff to keep them from paying any tax at all.

Increasing the unfair and complex tax code we currently enjoy is not the answer.

Tax Code: Make it simple, make it fair.

-Joe

I do believe the Dark Ages in Europe can be tied to a couple of things...one a marked decrease in production due to a variety of environmental reasons, and two, increased taxes.

The American Revolution refers to the political upheaval during the last half of the 18th century in which the Thirteen Colonies of North America overthrew the governance of the British Empire and collectively became the nation of the United States of America. In this period, the colonies first formed self-governing independent states, and then united to defend that self-governance in the armed conflict from 1775 to 1783 known as the American Revolutionary War (or the "American War of Independence"). This resulted in the states breaking away from the empire with the Declaration of Independence in 1776, victory on the battlefield in October 1781, and British recognition of United States soverignty and independence in 1783.

The revolutionary era began in 1763, when the French military threat to British North American colonies ended. Adopting the policy that the colonies should pay an increased proportion of the costs associated with keeping them in the Empire, Britain imposed a series of taxes followed by other laws that proved extremely unpopular. Because the colonies lacked elected representation in the governing British Parliament many colonists considered the laws to be illegitimate and a violation of their rights as Englishmen. Beginning in 1772, Patriot groups began to create committees of correspondence, which would lead to their own Provincial Congress in each of most of the colonies. In the course of two years, the Provincial Congresses or their equivalents effectively replaced the British ruling apparatus in the former colonies, culminating in 1774 with the unifying First Continental Congress
American Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it somewhat ironic that in a country founded over the very same issue, and history has repeatedly shown that raising taxes during bad economic times is a big receipe for disaster that someone would be making such a proposal.

The American Revolution refers to the political upheaval during the last half of the 18th century in which the Thirteen Colonies of North America overthrew the governance of the British Empire and collectively became the nation of the United States of America. In this period, the colonies first formed self-governing independent states, and then united to defend that self-governance in the armed conflict from 1775 to 1783 known as the American Revolutionary War (or the "American War of Independence"). This resulted in the states breaking away from the empire with the Declaration of Independence in 1776, victory on the battlefield in October 1781, and British recognition of United States soverignty and independence in 1783.

The revolutionary era began in 1763, when the French military threat to British North American colonies ended. Adopting the policy that the colonies should pay an increased proportion of the costs associated with keeping them in the Empire, Britain imposed a series of taxes followed by other laws that proved extremely unpopular. Because the colonies lacked elected representation in the governing British Parliament many colonists considered the laws to be illegitimate and a violation of their rights as Englishmen. Beginning in 1772, Patriot groups began to create committees of correspondence, which would lead to their own Provincial Congress in each of most of the colonies. In the course of two years, the Provincial Congresses or their equivalents effectively replaced the British ruling apparatus in the former colonies, culminating in 1774 with the unifying First Continental Congress
American Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it somewhat ironic that in a country founded over the very same issue, and history has repeatedly shown that raising taxes during bad economic times is a big receipe for disaster that someone would be making such a proposal.

Taxes: not less / not more. Fair.

Tax Code: Making it simple makes it fair.

-Joe

Adopting the policy that the colonies should pay an increased proportion of the costs associated with keeping them in the Empire, Britain imposed a series of taxes followed by other laws that proved extremely unpopular. Because the colonies lacked elected representation in the governing British Parliament many colonists considered the laws to be illegitimate and a violation of their rights as Englishmen.

George should have just given us 1 MP to shut us up.

This argument is one stating that taxation without representation leads to revolt, which is correct, not that higher taxes alone lead to revolt.

lets say we raised taxes on American Samoa and our other Pacific holdings to support the 7th fleet on the logic that our protectorates in the pacific benefit more from the 7th Fleets presence in Japan than, say, Nebraska. Then the Samoans start clamoring for representation in congress and the electoral college because of their increased tax burden and the United States responded by upping our military presence in Samoa and lodging Marines in the homes of Samoans.

At that point, if I were Samoan, I would probably be angry enough to start an armed revolt against the United States which I would loose…Unless Russia (France) and China (Spain) recognized Samoa as an independent Sovereign Nation and sent naval and airpower to support Samoa.

As America is a democracy (as was Great Brittan basically) if the people said, those Samoans can be on their own if they are THAT upset about it, then the US would let the Samoans have their independence.

Ok, this may seem a little silly, but I think it’s a fair analogy of the American Revolution put into a modern day context.

And I would support the Samoans in that (silly) scenario for the same reason I admire our revolutionary forefathers.

America already has the 2nd highest cooperate tax rate in the world, and some of the highest tax rates in the world on it's people when you consider all the different taxes we all pay, and you want more taxes? WTF are you talking about.

We need to control spending not raise taxes.

The tax code can either be simple, or be fair the two are mutually exclusive because the definition of what “fair” means is not simple.

For example
“I suggest a 10% general sales tax plus 12% income tax on businesses after the first $50,000.00, with non-executive payroll and benefits as the only deduction.”

Sales taxes are the most regressive as the portion of an individuals budget used to consume goes down as income goes up. Thus the poor are much harder hit than the middle class or the wealthy by a sales tax. The solution is to define some sales items as tax exempt (food for example) but then the tax code will need to define what constitutes food eligible for the exemption. Would the cost of shelter be tax exempt? If a family earning $50,000 sells their home for $250,000 will they be subject to an immediate tax of $25,000? or when they buy their new home for $300,000 will they need to tag an additional 10% on to the amount financed while not realizing a similar jump in the assets value? In that case banks would not probably see that 10% as unsecured debt and not allow it to be rolled into the mortgage so the family is forced to either finance the 10% at unsecured rates or come up with an additional 10% down payment.

The “simple” solution would to just say “ok, homes are not subject to the sales tax”. If you decide that a the “sale of a home” will not be subject to tax then you will need to define what a “home” is and if there is a limit to the value that can be excluded. If there is a value cap then will the excludable amount be dependent on location, or income of the buyer, or value of the land?

I could do this for every transaction out there and that is just dealing with sales taxes.

the hair on the back of my neck always stands up when I hear anyone say that that we need a “simple and fair” tax system, the American system is actually simple at the user end when you think of all the questions that need to be answered.

I do support an increase in tax. When the Bush administration altered the tax code to allow dividend income to be taxed as capital gains it was a slap in the face to every American whose income is reported on a W-2.

There is the argument against double taxation, but it would be far more effective (and fair) to eliminate the corporate income tax all together (most corporations are in an NOL position any way) and raise the tax rate on passive income. So long as there is a lower capital gains rate it would not discourage investment too much and would capture much more revenue than the current system.

Last edited:
The tax code can either be simple, or be fair the two are mutually exclusive because the definition of what “fair” means is not simple.

For example
“I suggest a 10% general sales tax plus 12% income tax on businesses after the first $50,000.00, with non-executive payroll and benefits as the only deduction.”

Sales taxes are the most regressive as the portion of an individuals budget used to consume goes down as income goes up. Thus the poor are much harder hit than the middle class or the wealthy by a sales tax...

I disagree. With a flat 10% sales tax the fellow who buys the new Ferrari will pay fair tax when compared to the sales tax paid by the fellow behind the wheel of a used Hyundai.

Income taxes with bullshit deductions that require hiring accountants and lawyers to understand and comply with is regressive, that's what's 'regressive'.

Making it simple makes it fair.

-Joe

Forum List

Back