America is an unusually violent country. But we're not as violent as we used to be

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Samson, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
  2. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    "If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation's security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.

"Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not. But that's unacceptable. As others have observed, talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn't 'too soon.' It's much too late."

Maybe we should start with outlawing large capacity magazines/semiautomatic handguns?

12 facts about mass shootings in the US - Houston Chronicle

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    Monkey see, monkey do...
    :eusa_eh:
    No Easy Answers on Media Violence's Effect on Kids
    March 6, 2013, Does exposing children to violence in TV shows, movies and video games increase their odds of violent behavior later on?
    See also:

Mental Health Experts: Violent Entertainment is 'Poison' that is 'Polluting the Culture'
    March 7, 2013 - Violent entertainment is “polluting the culture” and is “a poison” to the minds of alienated individuals and would-be shooters, according to mental health experts at a post-Newtown forum held on Capitol Hill Tuesday.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
  5. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,082
    More people and more guns yet we're seeing a decline? That cant be right......

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    First our population is aging which tends to reduce crime

Secondly we have 2 million in prison which probably reduced street crime somewhat

Third 55 million abortions in the 50 years or so has probably eliminated some of the problem, too (a derivative of the demographis issue, admittedly)

7. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    When you see the word "decline" you can't understand what that means until you know what the decline is measured against. Has it declined since 1950? No. It has declined since the 80s. The 80s marked the truly brutal gang wars between the Bloods and the Crips. It was the time that hisipanic gangs first started moving in and securing territory.

It's like saying violence in the world has declined since 1944.

8. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,082
    I know when I was in my early twenties not to many young people had assault "style"weapons. Most of us had shotguns and rifles.
    Today people in their early twenties are buying the shit out of em. There are way more of them around then in the past.

While I'm sure locking up offenders helps,there is a revolving door in our criminal justice system.

I'm thinking(demographically) there havent been enough abortions to effect crime in any appreciable way.

9. legaleagle_45

legaleagle_45 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    The aging population is certainly part of it. Criminologists consider the age group 15-35 as the "at risk" years for high levels of criminal behavior, especially amongst males. If you look at violent crime and homicides from the 1950's to the present you will see a very strong correlation between the baby boom generation entering those "at risk" age and crime rates. Crime rates began to rise in the mid 60's and peaked in the early 90's.

The 2 million in prison would might have a minor impact, but I do not suspect it would be too much. What is interesting is that firearms in private hands has nearly doubled since the early 90's and gun laws have generally relaxed nationwide during that same time frame, but homicide rates have been cut in half. Correlation is certainly not equivalent to causation, but a negative correlation is evidence of a lack of causation.

10. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    The Abortions helped a lot.

Most Crime is committed by 20-somethings

20 years after Roe v Wade crime rate plunged.

Coincidence?

I think not.

This is somewhat ironic, given that those that argue guns are a necessary part of their self defense against the criminal element are often also anti-abortion proponents.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013