America is a 'CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC,' not a Democracy...

republicans want a tax cut for the rich and a bigger screw job for regular people. Democrats want to tax the rich again and invest in America and Americans again, things like cheap college and training, A living wage, health care day care paid parental leave Great infrastructure and vacations... like every other modern country.
So who again pays for all this? People like me, mid to lower middle class semi retired individuals that still have to work to make things meet. I paid for my children’s college education at the expense of saving for the future, we sacrificed. At least when I look at my children and grand children I have my honor and integrity knowing I did it, gave them a better life, a chance. Regretfully they will be stuck paying for your illusions of grandeur and opulence.

So who again pays for all this? People like me, mid to lower middle class semi retired individuals that still have to work to make things meet. I paid for my children’s college education at the expense of saving for the future, we sacrificed. At least when I look at my children and grand children I have my honor and integrity knowing I did it, gave them a better life, a chance. Regretfully they will be stuck paying for your illusions of grandeur and opulence.
college costs have been going up like crazy ever since then. We are the richest country in the world and no one is saying that regular people should pay more, it's the rich who are not paying enough and haven't for 35 years since Ray gone... don't give up the ship

Nope! Representation in Congress is based on the popular vote within each state. Each state is allotted House seats based on population with two Senators allotted each states, all governed by popular vote. Presidential elections are governed by the electoral college which is determined by popular vote within each state. To take it a step further, I may be mistaken, not all states are winner take all electoral votes. That is the decision of each individual state’s legislature. A pure democracy translates into those that live in high densely populated areas having the power to exert their will over less populated areas. Key word subjugation and exploitation. Without a constitution with accompanying bill of rights the Union as we know it fractures, never was in the first place. Democracy is the basis for how representatives are elected and how business of the country is conducted in congress. The abolishment and replacement of the electoral college with popular vote ends equal representation under the law and shifts power into the hands of major populated areas on a national scale, end result corruption.
There are immense differences between a republic and democracy. Regardless of what we both believe the structure currently in place guarantees the freedoms of all Americans.
When you write about democracy, I assume you are referring to representative democracy . A true democracy as a form of government does not exist today. In general when we refer to a democracy we are referring to nations that allow extensive individual freedoms and free and fair elections. Republics are easy to define. Any government that is not a monarchy or dictatorship is a republic. Over 80% of the names of all nations contains the word republic. And most nations consider themselves democratic republics. Of course names often have little meaning when comes to how a government functions. North Korea's offical name is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Many people confuse 'democracy' with 'pure democracy' (also called a 'true' or 'Athenian' democracy), in which every issue is voted on by every person, every time. Obviously, that's not practical for a nation of 330 million people, so we have a 'representative democracy,' in which we choose representatives from our communities to go, well, represent.

A 'republic' literally means 'public thing.' It means that the government is owned by the people, and in today's context it means that different people are assigned to be in charge of different aspects of the government. The opposite would be a monarchy, where everything is done according to the will of the monarch, or a dictatorship, where the dictator's word is final on everything. Functionally, that means a republic basically is a representative democracy; it would be tough to design one without also making it the other.

We are both a federal republic and a representative democracy, and always have been, thanks to the genius of the Constitution.

Many people confuse 'democracy' with 'pure democracy' (also called a 'true' or 'Athenian' democracy), in which every issue is voted on by every person, every time. Obviously, that's not practical for a nation of 330 million people, so we have a 'representative democracy,' in which we choose representatives from our communities to go, well, represent.

A 'republic' literally means 'public thing.' It means that the government is owned by the people, and in today's context it means that different people are assigned to be in charge of different aspects of the government. The opposite would be a monarchy, where everything is done according to the will of the monarch, or a dictatorship, where the dictator's word is final on everything. Functionally, that means a republic basically is a representative democracy; it would be tough to design one without also making it the other.

We are both a federal republic and a representative democracy, and always have been, thanks to the genius of the Constitution.
Great post. And everyone actually agrees with that.

So why the need for a thread like this?

Because by marginalizing the "democracy" aspect the GOP can justify manipulating elections in various anti-democratic ways. Then they can simply shrug and say...well we're not really a democracy anyway.

Great post. And everyone actually agrees with that.

So why the need for a thread like this?

Because by marginalizing the "democracy" aspect the GOP can justify manipulating elections in various anti-democratic ways. Then they can simply shrug and say...well we're not really a democracy anyway.
LOL following the law is anti democratic now? Fuck off troll.

Forum List

Back