America has become a killing field.

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by pbel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. pbel

pbel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +907
    Guess I’m getting old, but what has happened to America? Every couple of days, killing here killing there…Shoppers and most recently babies.

I see the primary cause as video games and TV violence promoted as entertainment. The role models of Hollywood cutthroat entertainment, is pervasive.

Guns are everywhere.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Staidhup

Staidhup Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    I have to agree, the social fabric and family unit has been corrupted and destroyed from within. We all, as a society, are responsible for the carnage that has occurred, the loss of the moral compass that once was the pillar and foundation of our society has been silenced. The infatuation with fantasy and disconnect from reality has created a generation of individuals that are incapable of discerning right from wrong, value of humanity, and compassion toward one another. We have become a society based on self gratification without consequence. This is not about guns, knives, or words, it is simple the decadence of a society that needs to rediscover what once made it great.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  3. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,789

Not yet it hasn't. Tragedies like this will become more common...that is certain. However the killing fields will begin after the populace is disarmed. Then you will see a real bloodbath...all at the hands of a wealthy elite abetted by their useful idiot minions.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have to disagree. When people argue that all of society is responsible, they implicitly argue that no one specifically is responsible. Neither I nor you are responsible for anyone elses evil behavior or mental illness. We only are responsible for what we do, individually and as citizens.

I also disagree here. I have lived through the era you look back on when we all had a "moral compass". It was a more brutal, violent, and unprincipalled period that you admit or probably imagine, but I was there. Selective memory does not help solve problems.

It is about guns and knives. We will always have mentally disturbed individuals among us as well as truly evil monsters. And our society is brutal and violent, encouraging often sadistic behavior. There are steps we can take to limit this kind of violence.

First, we must do a better job of identifying those who should not have access to highly lethal weaponry and keeping them and weapons apart. Since we don't want to emulate most other advanced societies that eschew widespread private gun ownership, we have a heavy responsibility to safeguard firearms better. Too many Americans keep firearms with inadequate regard for security or safety. If we want to reduce tragedies, that will have to improve.

Second, we will have to deal with the facts that our society is to an extent not seen in other developed countries a culture of hatred, violence, and brutality. It is not enough to wring our hands and bemoan the decline in values which never existed as our fantasies suggest.

Read this board and see what passes for sport here: fear, threats, racism, and abuse. US Messageboard is a microcosm of everything that poisons our society. We know how to stop this kind of violence, but the truth is too many of us don't want to. We love our bloodsport too much.

5. jan

jan Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    With all due respect Staid, it's not about building a great society either. Simply, it's about keeping our kids safe. The government requires these kids to go to school...if they ditch a truancy officer will grace your door...so it's clear we're mandated to send our kids to school. The least we can expect of our schools is to keep our kids safe while they're in the custody of said schools.

Let's think about this in another way...could the school district or the state or federal government be sued for the wrongful deaths of these kids? Certainly is food for thought, huh? Perhaps if a class action lawsuit were brought up against the powers that be...all of the powers that be, they would get off their ass and make our kids safe while they're in the custody of public schools.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Even if there was a string of shootings like today and the government somehow passed a law demanding that evey gun be turned in nobody but fools would do it. If they started going door to door attempting to confiscate guns.. THAT is when the bloodbath would start. No one in government has the authority to enact such a law. It would be an effective end of our government.

7. Staidhup

Staidhup Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Over the past 60+ years, I have simply been around too long for that not to recognize where it will digress. Yes, we had our share of gang violence, malcontents, disenfranchised, nut cases, snipers on college campus towers, organized crime, assassins, and masochistic maniac's terrorizing the country side, but we understood the price one would pay for such transgressions. I was part of the generation that turned the other cheek, with ignorance of the consequences, fertilized the decline. I assume with age we see the fallacies of our youth and ignorance?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  8. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    This thread has been a good read so far...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,789

If only that were true Huggy. No, slowly but ever so surely, you will begin to see a systematic disarming of the public. First the evil black guns. Then those terrible handguns. After that will be the sniper (hunting rifles), and finally the shotguns will go.

That's the way it has allways gone and the rich in the end are those with the guns and the peasants are once again disarmed, soon to be turned into serfs and exploited till the cycle begins again.

10. sealadaigh

sealadaigh BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    dude, you have a smoking gun as an avatar.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012