America Divided

Originally posted by Gop guy
OCA dude, no offense but you're always either pissed or on an ego trip.

GOP, no offense but the threads the last couple days are way out of your league. Lol, yeah and emoticons won't cut it here.

Originally posted by Gop guy
OCA dude, no offense but you're always either pissed or on an ego trip.

OCA is just passionate and caring. You post like what he says is a bad thing?

I have been wondering for some time whether the United States just isn't too big. I grew up in the midwest and moved to New York 6 years ago. There is divergence in everything from political opinions and attitudes, attitudes about homosexuality, racial diversity and race relations, education, and levels and types of poverty and wealth. I think the divisions between the red and blue states may signify an ever growing problem of division and attitudes. If this continues, perhaps it would not be better if we were two or three countries instead of one. What is the point of holding together people in one country who don't believe in the same things?

As I don't agree nor disagree with you on that a side note: I can't wait till Willie sees this post, he'll have a field day!:D

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
And Hannity also reveals how it was never like this. Dems and Republicans always worked together on national security. They had a saying, "Politics stops at the water's edge."

To Dems, that doesn't mean anything anymore.

This is perhaps the single most disturbing problem. The parties can bicker about the level of taxation, the limits of socialized health insurance, and a myriad of other domestic disputes, but playing politics with national security is just too dangerous a game.

Originally posted by Reilly
I have been wondering for some time whether the United States just isn't too big. I grew up in the midwest and moved to New York 6 years ago. There is divergence in everything from political opinions and attitudes, attitudes about homosexuality, racial diversity and race relations, education, and levels and types of poverty and wealth. I think the divisions between the red and blue states may signify an ever growing problem of division and attitudes. If this continues, perhaps it would not be better if we were two or three countries instead of one. What is the point of holding together people in one country who don't believe in the same things?

I'm not sure that just because we are a people divided we need to be physically seperated by drawing up new nations with new borders!

Our strength has always been in our unity. Hell, if the Native Americans had unified they might have kicked our asses! Likewise, the tribal divisions of the Middle East will never defeat a unified front.

United we stand, divided we fall. IMO.

Originally posted by Zhukov
This is perhaps the single most disturbing problem. The parties can bicker about the level of taxation, the limits of socialized health insurance, and a myriad of other domestic disputes, but playing politics with national security is just too dangerous a game.

Agreed.
But by its very nature, isn't national security a political hot potato?
I don't know if I said that right. Aren't some of the partisan disagreements over national security based simply on differing political ideology? Election year politics aside...for arguments sake.

Originally posted by nycflasher
I'm not sure that just because we are a people divided we need to be physically seperated by drawing up new nations with new borders!

Our strength has always been in our unity. Hell, if the Native Americans had unified they might have kicked our asses! Likewise, the tribal divisions of the Middle East will never defeat a unified front.

This is true, our unity has always been the source of our strength. Today the focus seems to have shifted from Americanism to multi-culturalism. I don't think that's a helpful development.

Originally posted by nycflasher

There is no reason that we can't have open borders in a separated United States, with the free flow of ideas and people. We were all raised with American ideals of freedom and I imagine that these would still exist (even between the separate parts of the US).

As for unity in the face of opposition, what kind of opposition are we talking about. If it is military opposition, I think that any of the individual parts of the U.S. would still be strong enough to defend its territory against any foreign aggressor, and I would think that the separate countries would rally together in the event of danger. If we are talking about terrorism, different parts of the U.S. have different ideas about how terrorism should be dealt with. If we are talking economics, what is good for Connecticut may not be good for Alabama, and the separate countries would be able to craft policies that are best for themselves.

I am not advocating breaking up the United States, but it does seem that in some ways, we are one country in name but not in beliefs.

Originally posted by OCA
You know i'm pissed today, but its suddenly starting to transition over to sadness. I, in my lifetime anyway, have never seen America so divided, its sickening. I just don't understand, 9/11 was close to uniting us but there were still some detractors and now we've got this guy who it appears was taking a chance on making a buck for his family(albeit in a dangerous place) and he gets whacked for it. STILL Americans are divided and playing the blame game. I don't know, I don't think this country will ever be united on anything and i'm beginning to think it might've seen its better days. :(

I'm feeling down today too OCA. Take comfort in the fact that this country ALWAYS pulls together when we really need too. This war on terror is new to everyone and no on knows quite how to handle it,so naturally there is constant argueing. Everyone thinks they have the right answer,but it's all in genuine concern for the country.

Originally posted by Reilly
There is no reason that we can't have open borders in a separated United States, with the free flow of ideas and people. We were all raised with American ideals of freedom and I imagine that these would still exist (even between the separate parts of the US).

As for unity in the face of opposition, what kind of opposition are we talking about. If it is military opposition, I think that any of the individual parts of the U.S. would still be strong enough to defend its territory against any foreign aggressor, and I would think that the separate countries would rally together in the event of danger. If we are talking about terrorism, different parts of the U.S. have different ideas about how terrorism should be dealt with. If we are talking economics, what is good for Connecticut may not be good for Alabama, and the separate countries would be able to craft policies that are best for themselves.

I am not advocating breaking up the United States, but it does seem that in some ways, we are one country in name but not in beliefs.

We are a "melting pot", ya know? I've always thought this was our strength. I don't see the purpose of breaking us up. Can you really take another breakup after Seinfeld and Friends disbanded? j/k

It's a complex issue that I need to think about more, but I see no reason for 50 states to unite magnificently and then disband because we can't agree or get along. I don't think are differences need be that divisive. I mean the South, New England, the West Coast, Middle America....these are all distinct regions. But not so distinct that they need their own goverment.

Originally posted by OCA
You know i'm pissed today, but its suddenly starting to transition over to sadness. I, in my lifetime anyway, have never seen America so divided, its sickening. I just don't understand, 9/11 was close to uniting us but there were still some detractors and now we've got this guy who it appears was taking a chance on making a buck for his family(albeit in a dangerous place) and he gets whacked for it. STILL Americans are divided and playing the blame game. I don't know, I don't think this country will ever be united on anything and i'm beginning to think it might've seen its better days. :(

In my american heritage class in college we discussed the current polarization of America. This nation hasnt been as polarized since the civil war. I think I will see another one in my life. And it may be soon because i dont think the extreme wackos will accept Bush's reelection very graciously.

Originally posted by insein
I just wish it was november 3rd and Bush has shored up another 4 years so we can get back to business.

Here is my problem: why because its an election year do we have to postpone business? Why are we not stomping ass the election be damned? Bush cannot afford for anymore weeks like the past one to happen. I remind everyone that this country elected Bubba twice, don't delude yourselves into thinking Kerry can't get elected. That would be a friggin disaster.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
In my american heritage class in college we discussed the current polarization of America. This nation hasnt been as polarized since the civil war. I think I will see another one in my life. And it may be soon because i dont think the extreme wackos will accept Bush's reelection very graciously.

I can see your point.

Originally posted by OCA
Here is my problem: why because its an election year do we have to postpone business? Why are we not stomping ass the election be damned? Bush cannot afford for anymore weeks like the past one to happen. I remind everyone that this country elected Bubba twice, don't delude yourselves into thinking Kerry can't get elected. That would be a friggin disaster.

I want Bush to get back to business. This is my main criticism of him lately. He has been worried too much about what people think because naturally its an election year. He should just lead by example like he had been for the previous 3 years and he'll be fine.

I know alot of people will breathe easier on Nov 3rd though when we don't have the real fear of KErry being our President. Now thats Terrorism.

Forum List

Back