America crimninally unprepared for WW2?

Discussion in 'History' started by whitehall, Apr 28, 2011.

1. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,658
    Like Woodie Wilson a couple of decades before him FDR told America that he would never send their sons to fight in a foreign war. Meanwhile he was allegedly conspiring to have Japan to attack so he could get the US into the "real war" in Europe. FDR was elected in 1932 on a platform to end the recession and it turned into the "great depression" during his (first) two terms. He defied standards of policy that every other president had adnered to and forced the Country to pass a law that set presidential term limits. By the time Japan was able to sail across the entire Pacific Ocean undetected and attack Pearl Harbor FDR was in his 3rd term and America was busy violating all kinds of international treaties by supplying England and Russia with military supplies. By the spring of 1942 the entire US Army in the Philippines will have surrendered to the Japanese.

2. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,818
    Sooo ... the point of your cut and paste is....what?

3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,658
    Cut and paste? Do you know what cut and paste means? Where did you ever see this opinion in print?

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,279
    So you don't like FDR and are willing to repeat stupid lies to prove it. So what.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Sticking to WWII:

The Pacific fleet was in the right place ready for war. Oops, ready for the last war tactically. Not inspired but not criminal. There is a general pattern of the victors of the last war still using its technology and tactics in the next.

FDR wasnt the pacifist NAZI lover. Folks like Charles Lindburgh were. There was a ridiculous isolationist movement in America. Amazing our military got as ready as it did.

FDR saw the great evil brewing in Europe and Japan then changed his mind about not intervening. Would you have disagreed?

I have always suspected someone showed secret concentration camp photos to that pilot also to get hin to shut up and rsise war bonds.

Do you disagree with anything I said?

6. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Whitehall, revisionist history is not history. All it is is imaginary scenarios.

We lost a few old ships at Pearl Harbor. It was no great loss to a country with our industrial might. The loss of note was in the young men who died. Lives can never be replaced. Broken hearts seldom fully mend. My Grandmother lost her youngest son in the Korean War, my uncle Buddy who was an Air Force Colonel. She cried for years after he was shot down. She never got over it and the emotional pain stayed with her until the day she died.

Prior to World War One and Two, America was "Anti Foreign War" in its political stance. How I wish we had stayed that way after World War Two. Unfortunately, our involvement overseas has brought attacks against us and that is only additive towards more and more and more killing.

I am a former military officer, and I wonder if all that killing and the loss of so many of our sons in Asia has accomplished anything positive for the world. I look and wonder.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Amazing the turnaround the US Military Industrial complex made

We literally went from biplanes to jets in six years

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,279
    In one way, the loss of the battlewagons was a plus. It forced us to rely on the real warships of that time, the carriers. For the battlewagons were in reality by that time, just artillery carriers for amphibious assaults. And large sitting duck targets for aircraft.

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,279
    There was a lot of prior planning involved in that turnaround. One of my uncles was working in a factory that made boxes for fruit. The day after Pearl Harbor, they shut down for a week, and the maintance people went to work on the plant. When they started up again, they were producing ammunition crates. The same uncle ended up fighting all the way across North Africa, Sicily, and halfway up the boot of Italy before he was hurt and sent back to the States.

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Italy was a tough fight