America Behind in Math and Science

memorization in math seems to me to be required for addition, subtraction, and multiplication-if one does those, division follows.

Then there are the theorems necessary for algebra and geometry. Do they do those in high school still?

Algebra started getting stupid when I was in school. Didn't learn geometry in school, did that on my own studies, so not sure how much that changed back then, but I do know it's failing now.

sure, they can do so NOW when they have the benefit of a SELECTIVE class.. But, once the bulk of public school kids are swapped into the private system the same problems will remain. Kids don't stop being kids just because you put them in a uniform.

Like I have been saying, change the teachers of the public schools, don't swap them to private schools.

of COURSE you are on board with police and fire not being a private business.. Yet you insist that education is different with no foundation beyond an opinion as to why that is the case.

No foundation? My foundation is what is happening now—the US students are lacking in math and science.

Like I said, you are blaming the wrong party here. It's not the public schools so much as it is a waning motivation of students compared to your experience in education.

Like I said, if the teachers are better, such as in private schools, the teachers instill the motivation.

Like I said, if the teachers are better, such as in private schools, the teachers instill the motivation.

In general having taught in both in the same county, public school teachers are more educated than in parochial schools and more intelligent too. However the parochial teachers are more committed to the students success than public, even when it means paying for things out of their pocket, at less than 1/2 the salary scale.

They hunt parents down and guilt them, they also 'guilt' the kids with reminders of what their parents are sacrificing to send them to xxx school, in addition to their taxes.

With the above being nearly if not worthy of condemnation, how many of those that are making laws, (Congress), are products of parochial v public schools? How many of the Ivies are products of same?

Entirely wrong. Privatized schools will do better because the focus will be on the product and not the system. That's why private businesses absolutely destroy government-run businesses.

Almost all schools in the world are government controlled schools, the fact that America had lower ratings in this case cannot be blamed on that because the other schools of the competing Nations are government controlled as well. Some of the highest ratings are actually from Nations with the a lot of government controlled schools, I think the problem is more with the way the government funds the schools in the US and the way it is handled by the government in the US.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back