Amendment to return power to states with veto

This would be completely pointless if the Senate remained in the power of the State legislatures as the Founders intended. Just repeal the 17th amendment and the States will have a Veto.

The American PEOPLE select our Senators

We do not want them selected in some backroom deal

statue_of_liberty2.jpg

Great idea. If the 10th Amendment were complied with, this would not be necessary.

Tea Party Pushes Repeal Amendment to Give States Power Over Federal Government

"Under current law, states must go to court to overturn federal legislation and prove it violates the Constitution. The proposed amendment would give state legislatures veto power over any federal law or regulation they didn't like -- whether it passes constitutional muster or not:"

Nah, I think not. Let those facists get used to the American way of doing things with checks and balances.:eusa_angel:

The Amendment HAS checks and balances. It requires 2/3rds of the States to over turn or veto the legislation. Same as an amendment requires. Sorry to burst your bubble but if 37 States are so incensed by some legislation I would kindly suggest it be repelled.

We already have checks and balances in the federal government, the three branches and my vote is enough. I don't need anything overturned, I need representatives who are responsible to the people.

Real Americans love our Constitution

Only Conservatives keep a wish list of what they want to repeal

We_The_People.jpg

This would be completely pointless if the Senate remained in the power of the State legislatures as the Founders intended. Just repeal the 17th amendment and the States will have a Veto.

statue_of_liberty2.jpg

In most states they were elected in the state assemblies and 'approved' by the Gov. There were exceptions, the WY gov selected the senator there.

The backroom deals took place, like they do now, but the thing is, the states could recall their senator. And that, was where the state had a "veto".

The people aren't supposed to select the Senators. The Senators are supposed to represent the States. It's not a coincidence that you eliminate their check on the Federal government that the corruption and growth of the Federal Government immediately followed.

Our nation was designed to be one of checks and balances. For over 100 years one of those checks has been eliminated and we are on the brink of collapse. It was an experiment, and one that has obviously failed. So it's time we went back to the original blueprint.

You do realize that restoring the Senate to the States would seriously destroy the influences special interests groups have on our Federal Government don't you? If they arent funding our Senators campaigns, they wont have influence.

It boggles my mind how so many people just blindly assume that the Founders didn't know what they were doing when they originally created the Senate the way they did.

Then you are a retard. Amendment is clearly defined in the Constitution and is PART and PARCEL of said document. And unlike you liberals that keep ignoring the Constitution we Conservatives prefer to FOLLOW it and use the Constitution as written. You know instead of creating from whole cloth unconstitutional laws and powers we want to LEGALLY and CONSTITUTIONAL change the document as required by SAID DOCUMENT.

Conseratives are the ones constantly screaming to change the Constitution. Liberals love it just the way it is

Why do you hate America?

American_Eagle.jpg

Do you know what Amendments are? Do you want them all repealed?

Feel like a Constitutional Convention? Go for it.

The people aren't supposed to select the Senators. The Senators are supposed to represent the States. It's not a coincidence that you eliminate their check on the Federal government that the corruption and growth of the Federal Government immediately followed.

Our nation was designed to be one of checks and balances. For over 100 years one of those checks has been eliminated and we are on the brink of collapse. It was an experiment, and one that has obviously failed. So it's time we went back to the original blueprint.

You do realize that restoring the Senate to the States would seriously destroy the influences special interests groups have on our Federal Government don't you? If they arent funding our Senators campaigns, they wont have influence.

It boggles my mind how so many people just blindly assume that the Founders didn't know what they were doing when they originally created the Senate the way they did.

The right to select Senators is where it belongs....With the PEOPLE of the State

It's because of the love I have for the Constitution that we need to repeal the amendments that are destroying the Republic. I know you are trying to play on emotions. But that's because you don't have the argument and you know it.

No, I think I'll pass

I support the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding." U.S. Const. art. VI, Paragraph 2

Wouldn't this Constitutional Amendment, by definition, become a part of the Constitution and thereby be supported by the Supremacy Clause?

The right to select Senators is where it belongs....With the PEOPLE of the State

But the Senators aren't supposed to represent the people. The people are represented by the House. The Senate is supposed to represent the States. They are supposed to be above the Special interests, which is why they weren't supposed to be chosen by the people through the campaign process. Because that's where the special interests buy our government.

The beauty of the Founders system was the set of checks and balances they set up. We always talk about the Checks and balances between the Legislative, Judicial, and Executive Branches. But for some reason we completely ignore the other check they intentionally created. The one between the People, The State, and The Federal Government.

Ironically, by giving the people more power, for a time, our politicians have been able to collect more power for the Federal Government. Tell me, without the State Governments to check the Federal Governments, who can? Only the People. And how effect do you think the people alone can check the Federal Government when they have the power of violence behind all their actions?

If the Tea Party supports the Constitution like they continually claim they do....

Why do they keep trying to change it?

Another IDIOT. The amendment process is clearly defined and quite Constitutional. Why are YOU against the Constitution?

Ohh I forgot you are a liberal and think you can just ignore said Constitution when ever you please.

Again...If they love the Constitution

Why change it?

Why give women the right to vote?

Do you need a Constitutional Convention to amend the Constitution?

Not the only way. But problem is, we dont have alot of options. We go through the House and Senate, where the politicians who want their power are. Or we go through the States calling a Convention.

But do we have people we can trust in the Convention? If we did, would we need one?

If the Tea Party supports the Constitution like they continually claim they do....

This is an interesting test of the Republic. As has been painfully clear in the recent past elections, the larger population centers are few in number, but high in votes.

The Congress has passed laws that are reprehensible to many individuals and to many states. Having a majority of States able to overturn the will of a majority of individuals is the essence of checks and balances in a Republic.

I like this idea. It re-asserts the power of the rights of states and diminishes the audacity of the Washington elites.

It's because of the love I have for the Constitution that we need to repeal the amendments that are destroying the Republic. I know you are trying to play on emotions. But that's because you don't have the argument and you know it.

REAL Americans love the Constitution and don't want it changed.

Only Conservatives feel threatened by the Constitution as it is today and seek to tear it apart

statue_of_liberty_tears.JPG

Only Conservatives feel threatened by the Constitution as it is today and seek to tear it apart

Did he 14th and 19th amendments "tear it apart?"

This is an interesting test of the Republic. As has been painfully clear in the recent past elections, the larger population centers are few in number, but high in votes.

The Congress has passed laws that are reprehensible to many individuals and to many states. Having a majority of States able to overturn the will of a majority of individuals is the essence of checks and balances in a Republic.

I like this idea. It re-asserts the power of the rights of states and diminishes the audacity of the Washington elites.

Sort of like ending the electoral college, which would leave 48 states stuck with whatever California and New York wanted.

As a real American I support my Constitution

No desire to change it

So you're pretty much okay with that whole 3/5's of a person thingy?

The 3/5s compromise was a brilliant compromise designed to punish slave states by denying them their full representation as long as they supported slavery.

Why is it we seem to ignore why certain things were in the Constitution?

Did he 14th and 19th amendments "tear it apart?"

I'm not the one trying to change the Constitution

I love it just the way it is...just like REAL Americans

Forum List

Back