AMD RYZEN beats Intel Core i7-6900K in both performance and power consumption

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Despite the new chip runs with 3,4 Ghz compared to 6900K´s 3,7 Ghz, and boost off, it was faster encoding a video with HandBrake. Additionally, the final version the consumers get will have more improvements. That sounds very promising. Read and see more about AMD´s new ZEN CPUs, of wich the desktop variants will be named RYZEN.

AMD To Attack Performance Desktop Market With RYZEN, More Zen Architecture Details Revealed | HotHardware

I will clearly save some one, after I have a need for a new computer, anyway.

'Foreshadow' attack affects Intel chips...
shocked.gif

'Foreshadow' attack affects Intel chips
14 Aug.`18 - Researchers have found another serious security flaw in computer chips designed by Intel.

[aquote]
Nicknamed Foreshadow, this is the third significant flaw to affect the company’s chips this year. The US government’s body for computer security said “an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to obtain sensitive information”. Intel has released a patch which mitigates the problem, which affects processors released from 2015 onwards.

_102974526_whatsubject.jpg

The flaw affects chips made from 2015, but will be fixed in future models, Intel said

A full list of affected hardware has been posted on Intel's website. "We are not aware of reports that any of these methods have been used in real-world exploits,” the firm said. “But this further underscores the need for everyone to adhere to security best practices.” It said future processors would be built in such a way as to not be affected by Foreshadow. News of the vulnerability followed two similar attacks - Spectre and Meltdown - that were discovered earlier this year. Collectively the flaws affected billions of computers around the world.

'Lock box'

Foreshadow was discovered by collaborative work by researchers from KU Leuven university in Belgium and others from the universities of Adelaide and Michigan. After Intel was made aware of the attack, the chip firm then discovered two more related weaknesses. "What our attack does is it uses techniques that are very similar to the Meltdown attacks from six months ago,” explained Prof Thomas Wenisch from the University of Michigan. "But we discovered we could specifically target a lock box within Intel’s processors. It would let you leak any data you want out of these secure enclaves." Intel had created its fix prior to details of the flaw being made public, and coordinated its response with the researchers on Tuesday. Its fix disables some of the features in its chips that were vulnerable to the attack the researchers discovered.

Companies running cloud computing platforms could see a significant hit to their collective computing power, as Intel's mitigation limits the extent to which the same processor can be used simultaneously for multiple tasks. On Tuesday, however, the biggest cloud services companies - Amazon, Google and Microsoft - all said they had put in place a fix for the problem. Individual computer users are advised, as ever, to download and install any software updates available. The research team told the BBC it was unlikely that individuals would see any performance impact. Intel’s stock was marginally down in after-hours trading on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45191697[/quote]

Interestingly enough, many now adult millennial's don't own a laptop or computer. They use phones and tablets for everything.

~whispers~ Threadripper
Own stock in AMD? :dunno:

You'd have to take out a loan at the bank to buy a threadripper processor..... :eusa_whistle:

I have to admit I'm guilty as charged. That said, I also have stock in Intel so either way its good! :p

Threadripper is just the best there is atm is all.
Well, both the high end versions are currently out of my reach and how the hell would you cool the Rysen? Any effective cooling system would be twice the size of a normal desktop...........

~whispers~ Threadripper
Own stock in AMD? :dunno:

You'd have to take out a loan at the bank to buy a threadripper processor..... :eusa_whistle:

I have to admit I'm guilty as charged. That said, I also have stock in Intel so either way its good! :p

Threadripper is just the best there is atm is all.
Well, both the high end versions are currently out of my reach and how the hell would you cool the Rysen? Any effective cooling system would be twice the size of a normal desktop...........

You just gotta get picky, not all coolers are worth a shit (~coughs~ stock coolers ~cough~)

Most recommended for the Ryzen 1800X tends to be the Noctua NH-D15s because it gives good overhead for OC'ing (TDP guidelines & cooler height)

I run an FX-8350 at 4GHz stock (can stable OC to 5GHz but I've never needed to) with a little known, but fucking amazing, SilverStone NT06-E + Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000RPM PWM fan (fucking amazing fan let me tell ya) and I never top 30C on the CPU. My CPU cooler is about the same size as the NH-D15s - doesn't stand as tall as a GPU so unless you're talking a really tight HTCP chassis they'll fit in most cases (That first one is an older pic with a different fan - Corsair SP-120) I've actually ran my rig without the fan (second pic) and it only gains about 10C under load:

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1060125/4/43/439f0b60_DSCF4262.jpeg
https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1060125/5/5d/5d17e674_DSCF5885.jpeg

Of course the best option, and really the ONLY option when you're talking Threadripper, is water cooling. Today we have all in one water cooling systems that are just as easy to install on your CPU as the stock cooler is, you just need a mount in the chassis for a rad - most modern cases have at least one.

Forum List

Back