Amazon prohibits mail in Union voting

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in you-know-where that Big Labor is going to get its beak wet in Alabama at Amazon's expense.

The thought is to raise the expenses for the wise guys in La Cosa Nostra and bring them to defeat sooner.

The unions should rise up and strike and bring Bezos to his knees.

Just say'in.

But they won't cuz they are in bed with the Dims and corporate America.

Apparently Amazon believes that mail in voting is prone to mass fraud, so they only allow their employees to vote in person.

Hypocrisy much Mr. Left wing Bezos?
Apparently shitty jobs are no longer enough for southerners.

BESSEMER, Ala. ― Darryl Richardson took a job on the factory floor at Faurecia Automotive Seating, a seat supplier to Mercedes, in Cottondale, Alabama, in 2011. He soon joined a successful effort to unionize the plant with the United Auto Workers. Over the following years, his wages climbed from $12.50 per hour to more than $23

Richardson, 51, now works as a “picker” at Amazon’s year-old fulfillment center in Bessemer, Alabama, hustling around the warehouse to fetch orders headed out to customers. He took a sizable pay cut from his Faurecia days, starting at around $15. The high production quotas surprised him, and he felt he had no recourse if he was disciplined for allegedly not meeting them. He and a handful of other workers began talks with organizers at the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU) to see what they might be able to change.

“I know what the union can do,” said Richardson, whose father was a union member at an Alabama roof manufacturer. “I know the union can give you job security. I know the union can make it better for employees. I feel like everybody out there deserves better. Amazon just don’t treat you fair.”

The collective bargaining experience of workers like Richardson helps explain how the most high-profile union campaign in years sprouted among a predominantly Black workforce in a Birmingham suburb. It also tests common — if false — preconceptions about the South and organized labor: that unions in the region are anemic, and that large-scale organizing is borderline impossible.

Workers at Richardson’s facility are now voting to determine whether the RWDSU will represent them. The mail-in election spans seven weeks, concluding at the end of this month. And with nearly 6,000 workers in the proposed bargaining unit, it appears to be the largest election in two decades under the National Labor Relations Board.

The worker had never been in a union, so Foster explained some of the finer points of collective bargaining, including the concept of termination only for “just cause,” a common feature in union contracts that helps prevent arbitrary firings.

disciplinary warnings at Amazon can seem unfair and arbitrary, and her grandmother told her a union could help.

Looks like shitty management is causing labor to organize. Good for labor.

Amazon likes to compare its warehouse work to the front-facing retail jobs the company is displacing, but in reality the work is probably more similar to meatpacking. In both, workers face similar time pressures and production quotas, not to mention the possibility of repetitive-motion injuries from performing the same tasks day after day. Meatpacking and warehouse workers often complain they can’t take a reasonable bathroom break without managers griping about efficiency.

It's not always about pay. Don't treat your workers like shit.

While Amazon might pay well compared to fast food, the company’s wages are lower than what workers will find at plenty of other blue-collar jobs in the area. Many pro-union workers say the pay doesn’t match the workload.

a supervisor said workers should be happy with their pay because Alabama is a cheap place to live. Bates believed the woman had recently come from out of state.
“That was an insult to us who grew up here,” Bates said. “Did you come here to bring economic growth, or did you come here to get cheap labor?”

Apparently Amazon believes that mail in voting is prone to mass fraud, so they only allow their employees to vote in person.

BESSEMER, Ala. ― Darryl Richardson took a job on the factory floor at Faurecia Automotive Seating, a seat supplier to Mercedes, in Cottondale, Alabama, in 2011. He soon joined a successful effort to unionize the plant with the United Auto Workers. Over the following years, his wages climbed from $12.50 per hour to more than $23

Richardson, 51, now works as a “picker” at Amazon’s year-old fulfillment center in Bessemer, Alabama, hustling around the warehouse to fetch orders headed out to customers. He took a sizable pay cut from his Faurecia days, starting at around $15. The high production quotas surprised him, and he felt he had no recourse if he was disciplined for allegedly not meeting them. He and a handful of other workers began talks with organizers at the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU) to see what they might be able to change.

“I know what the union can do,” said Richardson, whose father was a union member at an Alabama roof manufacturer. “I know the union can give you job security. I know the union can make it better for employees. I feel like everybody out there deserves better. Amazon just don’t treat you fair.”

The collective bargaining experience of workers like Richardson helps explain how the most high-profile union campaign in years sprouted among a predominantly Black workforce in a Birmingham suburb. It also tests common — if false — preconceptions about the South and organized labor: that unions in the region are anemic, and that large-scale organizing is borderline impossible.

Workers at Richardson’s facility are now voting to determine whether the RWDSU will represent them. The mail-in election spans seven weeks, concluding at the end of this month. And with nearly 6,000 workers in the proposed bargaining unit, it appears to be the largest election in two decades under the National Labor Relations Board.

The worker had never been in a union, so Foster explained some of the finer points of collective bargaining, including the concept of termination only for “just cause,” a common feature in union contracts that helps prevent arbitrary firings.

disciplinary warnings at Amazon can seem unfair and arbitrary, and her grandmother told her a union could help.

Amazon likes to compare its warehouse work to the front-facing retail jobs the company is displacing, but in reality the work is probably more similar to meatpacking. In both, workers face similar time pressures and production quotas, not to mention the possibility of repetitive-motion injuries from performing the same tasks day after day. Meatpacking and warehouse workers often complain they can’t take a reasonable bathroom break without managers griping about efficiency.

While Amazon might pay well compared to fast food, the company’s wages are lower than what workers will find at plenty of other blue-collar jobs in the area. Many pro-union workers say the pay doesn’t match the workload.

a supervisor said workers should be happy with their pay because Alabama is a cheap place to live. Bates believed the woman had recently come from out of state.
“That was an insult to us who grew up here,” Bates said. “Did you come here to bring economic growth, or did you come here to get cheap labor?”

What do you think the Alabama Amazon workers expect the Wise Guys from the UFCW to deliver to them? At least those who are voting "aye"?

Bezos lives in a compound in Washington State, he really doesn't seem to be the kind that will be easily intimidated. How would the labor union bosses even get close enough to him to put a horse's head in his bed to get him in line? The union could whack his managers in Alabama, he'd just hire new ones.

From my own viewpoint, Bezos looks invulnerable. The union would do better to try and work out an agreement where both sides- Bezos and the La Cosa Nostra- both benefit if the union does win the election.

What do you think the Alabama Amazon workers expect the Wise Guys from the UFCW to deliver to them? At least those who are voting "aye"?

Bezos lives in a compound in Washington State, he really doesn't seem to be the kind that will be easily intimidated. How would the labor union bosses even get close enough to him to put a horse's head in his bed to get him in line? The union could whack his managers in Alabama, he'd just hire new ones.

From my own viewpoint, Bezos looks invulnerable. The union would do better to try and work out an agreement where both sides- Bezos and the La Cosa Nostra- both benefit if the union does win the election.
Bezos just gave billions to fight climate change and helped the effort to censor conservatives in the media.

He is now bullet proof politically and can do as he pleases. Democrats will do nothing to him.

History is cyclical. Unions have gone away but will be needed again as corporations try to short change workers. It will happen.

The unions shouldn’t demand so much that he leaves. But if they treat their workers like slaves, and there’s no job security, and the jobs suck, that’s gonna stop. Give them breaks for god sakes.

Im so glad I work from home. No one watching how many calls I’m making. Can you imagine being a sorter at amazon?

p.s. so much for the claim bezos is a liberal.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in you-know-where that Big Labor is going to get its beak wet in Alabama at Amazon's expense.

The thought is to raise the expenses for the wise guys in La Cosa Nostra and bring them to defeat sooner.
I don think this is even about money. They’re complaining about their treatment. I guess they treat those blacks like shit.

Republicans don’t want to come off as racist but I know what they’re thinking because I thought it too reading some of the workers complaints. It’s hard to get black people to hustle. Unless they are on a basketball court or rioting. Then they suddenly are fast. But at work they can be hard to work with and lazy.

He’s not fiscally liberal. I don’t care about his social beliefs I want to know his position on labor.

Just like Bruce Jenner is a conservative white male republican. He ain’t liberal.

The unions shouldn’t demand so much that he leaves. But if they treat their workers like slaves, and there’s no job security, and the jobs suck, that’s gonna stop. Give them breaks for god sakes.

Im so glad I work from home. No one watching how many calls I’m making. Can you imagine being a sorter at amazon?

Bezos is a Lib, no doubt about that. The fact that he doesn't want shaken down by Big Labor is just self preservation. Remember that before she became a big shot in the government, Hillary Clinton was a high ranking boss at Walmart.

As far as the La Cosa Nostra and Bezos, they will look to squeeze him for as much as possible. That's what they always do, can't change the spots on a leopard.

Almighty God observed this fact, if you'll remember His words: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

Bezos is a Lib, no doubt about that. The fact that he doesn't want shaken down by Big Labor is just self preservation. Remember that before she became a big shot in the government, Hillary Clinton was a high ranking boss at Walmart.

As far as the La Cosa Nostra and Bezos, they will look to squeeze him for as much as possible. That's what they always do, can't change the spots on a leopard.

Almighty God observed this fact, if you'll remember His words: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."
He wouldn’t allow his workers to be treated poorly if he was liberal.

Google. Whoever is in charge there. They must be liberal. They pay good.

I don think this is even about money. They’re complaining about their treatment. I guess they treat those blacks like shit.

Republicans don’t want to come off as racist but I know what they’re thinking because I thought it too reading some of the workers complaints. It’s hard to get black people to hustle. Unless they are on a basketball court or rioting. Then they suddenly are fast. But at work they can be hard to work with and lazy.

I don't think this move originated from the "workers" at all, it came from the UFCW and the union bosses.

Republicans don't like Bezos because of his liberal rag , the Washington Post, and his hatred of Trump. Makes them root for the wise guys here. But, OTOH, they don't care for Big Labor either.

The GOP is in an interesting place here, like when war broke out between Germany and the USSR in 1941, two enemies fighting.

Fraud in union mail-in voting? Union mail-in voting prone to mass fraud? Naah.
There is mail-in voting and then there is union mail-in voting. Huge difference.
Don't be stupid and try to compare national elections and union elections.

Last edited:

There is mail-in voting and then there is union mail-in voting. Huge difference.
The funny thing is if people didn’t fear the company would close and move it would be a resounding hell yes for unions.

Better pay
Better benefits
Job security
Worker rights and protection from being fired.

A company should be able to fire a bad worker though. Unions go too far protecting pieces of shit

He’s not fiscally liberal. I don’t care about his social beliefs I want to know his position on labor.

Just like Bruce Jenner is a conservative white male republican. He ain’t liberal.
It's interesting how all these big liberals out there instantly become very conservative when it comes to their own money

Just like Bernie Sanders, AOC, and the socialist clown cast in Congress.

It's interesting how all these big liberals out there instantly become very conservative when it comes to their own money

And me! Guilty!

The funny thing is if people didn’t fear the company would close and move it would be a resounding hell yes for unions.

Better pay
Better benefits
Job security

A company should be able to fire a bad worker though. Unions go too far protecting pieces of shit
Don't forget featherbedding

I got a big raise a few years ago. Like $40,000. Did i insist on sharing it with my co workers? Nope.

Better pay
Better benefits
Job security

Don't forget featherbedding
What’s feather bedding?

Forum List

Back