Amazon chased out of Texas by Taxes

sangha

Jun 1, 2010
No wonder Texas is having such a huge budget deficit!! They chase businesses out of the state!

APNewsBreak: Amazon closing TX center amid dispute - Yahoo! News

Online retail giant Amazon.com is closing a suburban Dallas distribution center and scrapping plans to expand Texas operations after a dispute with the state over millions of dollars in sales taxes, an executive informed employees Thursday in an e-mail obtained by The Associated Press.

Dave Clark, Amazon's vice president of operations, writes in the e-mail that the center will close April 12 due to Texas' "unfavorable regulatory climate." Amazon spokeswoman Mary Osako would not say Thursday how many employees work at the Irving distribution center.

i think Texas is correct though....

all other online retailers, if bought and shipped in the state they reside in, collect sales taxes from the consumer....

is this article saying that amazon refused to do such?

*maybe i don't understand all????

Last edited:
From the link:
"We regret losing any business in Texas, but our position hasn't changed: If you have a presence in the state of Texas you are required to pay sales tax, just like any other business that has a presence in Texas," said Allen Spelce, a spokesman for Texas Comptroller Spelce said Texas loses an estimated $600 million in Internet sales taxes every year. Amazon has been the target of numerous lawsuits filed by states seeking sales taxes on online purchases made from within their borders.
So Texas isn't the only state filing suit.

Last edited:
From the link:
"We regret losing any business in Texas, but our position hasn't changed: If you have a presence in the state of Texas you are required to pay sales tax, just like any other business that has a presence in Texas," said Allen Spelce, a spokesman for Texas Comptroller Spelce said Texas loses an estimated $600 million in Internet sales taxes every year. Amazon has been the target of numerous lawsuits filed by states seeking sales taxes on online purchases made from within their borders.

And Dr Tiller isn't the only abortionist who has been shot

Not surprising. State governments have been grousing about the "lost" revenue that they are not sucking out of the economy due to internet and catalog sales. Look for more aggressive tactics by State and local governments across the country as they do their dead level best to get their greedy hands on some redistributable cash.

From the link:

And Dr Tiller isn't the only abortionist who has been shot
When did the thread topic turn to abortion? :confused:

it should be a level playing field for all businesses.

Why should some be required to collect it and others not?

I think Texas is correct in this matter and amazon may be able to run for a short while from this but I don't think it will be for very long....as mentioned ALL States are missing the sales tax revenue generated from on line sales.

What amazon has done, will lead to more and more states making it law that even for out of state purchases, the retailer needs to collect it and send it to them....imho.

I think Texas is correct in this matter and amazon may be able to run for a short while from this but I don't think it will be for very long....as mentioned ALL States are missing the sales tax revenue generated from on line sales.

What amazon has done, will lead to more and more states making it law that even for out of state purchases, the retailer needs to collect it and send it to them....imho.
Some of us refer to this concept as "freedom".

Personally, I don't fret about all the blood that a tick is "missing out on" when I pull it off of my neck.

It is unconstitutional for a state to pass laws that interfere with interstate commerce.

Last edited:

all other online retailers, if bought and shipped in the state they reside in, collect sales taxes from the consumer....

I agree. The time has come for online retailers to charge sales tax. It has been exempt since Clinton's presidency on the argument that we needed to encourage online commerce.

Well, it's been encouraged. But there is no reason, in 2011, for a state to not get their sales tax from an online merchant, while collecting it from brick and mortar stores in-state. We just cannot afford those giveaways at this time.

This would hurt me, btw. I do most of my shopping online, and just purchased another $2,400 keyboard. My math ain't too good, but I figure I saved around $168 in taxes. I'm happy for me, but it's not the best thing for my state.

Not surprising. State governments have been grousing about the "lost" revenue that they are not sucking out of the economy due to internet and catalog sales. Look for more aggressive tactics by State and local governments across the country as they do their dead level best to get their greedy hands on some redistributable cash.
That's a pretty ignorant post, right there.

I agree. The time has come for online retailers to charge sales tax. It has been exempt since Clinton's presidency on the argument that we needed to encourage online commerce.

Well, it's been encouraged. But there is no reason, in 2011, for a state to not get their sales tax from an online merchant, while collecting it from brick and mortar stores in-state. We just cannot afford those giveaways at this time.

This would hurt me, btw. I do most of my shopping online, and just purchased another $2,400 keyboard. My math ain't too good, but I figure I saved around $168 in taxes. I'm happy for me, but it's not the best thing for my state.
Keeping what I've earned isn't a "giveaway".

If you think gubmint deserves that $168, nobody is stopping you from cutting them a check.

Some of us refer to this concept as "freedom".

Personally, I don't fret about all the blood that a tick is "missing out on" when I pull it off of my neck.
How is sales tax an assault on your 'freedom'?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Use your words, now, oddball - no photoshops!

Forum List

Back