Amazing: Dog with 1000 word vocabulary.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
I've always held dogs are much smarter then we currently recognize. Not only are they able to communicate with their own kind..the can communicate on a reasonable level to other animals..like humans. I read some theories that have even pointed out, that humans (in our present form), were able to thrive because of canines. They would bark out alerts when predators threatened human young. Anyway..great article.

One of the questions raised by the Rico study was that of what was going through the dog’s mind when he was asked to fetch something. Did he think of his toys as items labeled fetch-ball, fetch-Frisbee, fetch-doll, or did he understand the word “fetch” separately from its object, as people do?

Dr. Pilley addressed the question by teaching Chaser three different actions: pawing, nosing and taking an object. She was then presented with three of her toys and correctly pawed, nosed or fetched each one depending on the command given to her. “That experiment demonstrates conclusively that Chaser understood that the verb had a meaning,” Dr. Pilley said.

The 1,022 words in Chaser’s vocabulary are all proper nouns. Dr. Pilley also found that Chaser could be trained to recognize categories, in other words common nouns. She correctly follows the command “Fetch a Frisbee” or “Fetch a ball.” She can also learn by exclusion, as children do. If she is asked to fetch a new toy with a word she does not know, she will pick it out from ones that are familiar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/science/18dog.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Dog vocabulary 1000&st=cse

I've always held dogs are much smarter then we currently recognize. Not only are they able to communicate with their own kind..the can communicate on a reasonable level to other animals..like humans. I read some theories that have even pointed out, that humans (in our present form), were able to thrive because of canines. They would bark out alerts when predators threatened human young. Anyway..great article.

Must be smarter than you. It's "THAN" not "then," and "they" not "the."

I wonder if that dogs owner beat it like another dog owner I know?

Why do you find it so amazing that a dog can talK? All dogs talk. It's up to you to understand what is being said.

DAMN! He is more articulate than most political comontaters on Fox.

Commentator. Comment. Not common. Twit. That dog is smarter than you.

I intentionally typed "commontaters" in reference to Fox Pundits.

Sheesh, am I gonna have to train you in Hillphonics?

Thread isn't actually about Fox.... It's about a dog.... one that is, apparently, smarter than you. Maybe he could go work for the HuffPuff. 1000 words.... that's more than their current crop have between them.

Must be smarter than you. It's "THAN" not "then," and "they" not "the."

I wonder if that dogs owner beat it like another dog owner I know?

I wonder if the dog's owner brags about almost killing his friend.

It's a Border Collie; they're especially smart and willing to learn.

Yep.

But I think most dogs have exceptional intelligence.

Without question.

And what they may lack in intelligence, they make up for in intuition.

Totally agree.

Dogs are way smarter than people give them credit for. Their body language alone speaks volumes.

I've have Border Collies and I know first hand how intelligent and trainable these dogs are.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Rico and Chaser are BC's.

Yep.

But I think most dogs have exceptional intelligence.

Without question.

And what they may lack in intelligence, they make up for in intuition.

Totally agree.

Dogs are way smarter than people give them credit for. Their body language alone speaks volumes.

I've have Border Collies and I know first hand how intelligent and trainable these dogs are.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Rico and Chaser are BC's.

We have a Beagle mix. When we go out for a walk, without fail, he will always take the route I'm thinking of.

How does he know that?

And I envy you Border Collie owners who can walk your dogs without a leash.

Yes it is a border collie.

They are awsome.

I have known mutts just as smart of bordercollies though.

Dogs are designed to key into people.

If you talk to them in an attempt to have them understand you they will rise to the task.

My dogs (mutts) have always been able to respond to complete sentances because I talk to them all day long.

Forum List

Back