Am I The Only One Who Thinks The Cold War Has Re-emerged?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
There is all the things going on in the Pacific, but plenty in former USSR 'spheres' of influence also:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bush

Bush Proposes Corps to Aid New Democracies By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
22 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush, seeking to put muscle behind a promise to support young democracies, said Wednesday the administration is creating a special corps of federal workers that will deploy quickly to help foreign governments in crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Citing the lengthy and difficult task of setting up the U.S.-run occupation government in Iraq after Saddam Hussein's ouster, Bush is proposing $100 million next year for a new conflict response fund and $24 million for a new Office of Reconstruction and Stabilization in the State Department. That office will coordinate U.S. government efforts to support emerging democracies, with the new Active Response Corps of foreign and civil service officers as a crucial tool, Bush said.

"This new corps will be on call — ready to get programs running on the ground in days and weeks instead of months and years," Bush said at a dinner hosted by the International Republican Institute, a federally funded group that promotes democracy worldwide. "If a crisis emerges and assistance is needed, the United States of America will be ready."

Bush cited a series of what he referred to as revolutions during the past 18 months in ex-Soviet republics and across the Middle East: in Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan and Lebanon.

"We are seeing the rise of a new generation whose hearts burn for freedom — and they will have it," Bush said.[...]

If I were a paranoid (yes and no... hard to explain) kinda guy, I would say this points to some pretty ominous sh*t. We all need to remember.... HISTORY DOES REPEAT. I know YOU know that, but it seems as many don't and therefore, they bicker over sh*t that ends up doing NOTHING but leading us down the same path.... AGAIN!

The difference this time, WMD's really are spread very thinly across the world. Thinly, yet VERY dangerous. And it is ONLY a matter of time before some nut (not necessarily Muslim) uses one on somebody trying to be the tuff guy! (Russia, China, N. Korea, Pakistan, India, IRAN!)

freeandfun1 said:
If I were a paranoid (yes and no... hard to explain) kinda guy, I would say this points to some pretty ominous sh*t. We all need to remember.... HISTORY DOES REPEAT. I know YOU know that, but it seems as many don't and therefore, they bicker over sh*t that ends up doing NOTHING but leading us down the same path.... AGAIN!

The difference this time, WMD's really are spread very thinly across the world. Thinly, yet VERY dangerous. And it is ONLY a matter of time before some nut (not necessarily Muslim) uses one on somebody trying to be the tuff guy! (Russia, China, N. Korea, Pakistan, India, IRAN!)

Exactly! I tried to rep, but seems you are on the favored list already. :teeth:

Kathianne said:
There is all the things going on in the Pacific, but plenty in former USSR 'spheres' of influence also:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bush

The communist philosophy at the end (?) of the "Cold War" was to fall back ....re-group...and destroy us from within...using the ACLU as their nuke!

archangel said:
The communist philosophy at the end (?) of the "Cold War" was to fall back ....re-group...and destroy us from within...using the ACLU as their nuke!
I believe that. There was a famous quote that I now can't remember that was posted outside our barracks when I was in Korea in 1986/87. It was a quote from some Soviet general given at some military university in Moscow in the 70's (?) about how they would let us become complacent and then destroy us from within. I have been trying for months to remember at least enough to google it. It was painted on a rock in front of our Quonset Hut at Camp Greaves.

freeandfun1 said:
I believe that. There was a famous quote that I now can't remember that was posted outside our barracks when I was in Korea in 1986/87. It was a quote from some Soviet general given at some military university in Moscow in the 70's (?) about how they would let us become complacent and then destroy us from within. I have been trying for months to remember at least enough to google it. It was painted on a rock in front of our Quonset Hut at Camp Greaves.

Geez...I thought it said..."Gonna love you long time GI...#10" opps that was Vietnam...sorry...LOL ;)

archangel said:
Geez...I thought it said..."Gonna love you long time GI...#10" opps that was Vietnam...sorry...LOL ;)
ahhhh, what do you know... you just cheap charlie... me numba hana!

Forum List

Back