Am I the only one who does this?

michiganFats

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2009
SE Michigan
As I'm driving home from school tonight, I get off of the freeway and turn onto the road that takes me home. It's about 10F out, and the roads are icy and covered with powder snow. This particular road has 2 northbound lanes but narrows to one lane about 1/4 mile beyond the interchange. Due to the road conditions everyone is in the left lane and going about 25MPH, the speed limit is 50MPH. I look in my rearview mirror, lo and behold, I see someone pull out of the line and try to advance in the right lane. This person sped up and then put their blinker on in order to line jump. No one would let this person back in. Guess who was driving the car that was at the cutoff point when the linejumper had to either merge or go into the ditch. :)

At this point I have two options. I can let this person back into traffic, or I can have some fun. Guess which option I chose. As the linejumper approached me with lights blinking and frantically gesturing to me, I pretended to not be paying any attention by playing with my radio. I didn't speed up, I didn't slow down. End result, linejumper in the ditch with wheels spinning and no traction.

For many people that would be enough, but not me. I pulled into the next driveway, and then got out of my car to go "render assistance":lol: As I approached the vehicle, a young woman got out of the SUV and asked me why I didn't let her in. I told her that I saw no need to check the right lane because I didn't think that any reasonable person would be in that lane under the current road conditions. I made sure she was alright, and then turned to leave. She yelled "Hey!, My cell phone battery is dead! do you have a cell phone?". As I'm walking back to my car, I turned and replied "Yes maam, I do". I then got back into my car and drove home.

Am I the only one who does stuff like this?

As I'm driving home from school tonight, I get off of the freeway and turn onto the road that takes me home. It's about 10F out, and the roads are icy and covered with powder snow. This particular road has 2 northbound lanes but narrows to one lane about 1/4 mile beyond the interchange. Due to the road conditions everyone is in the left lane and going about 25MPH, the speed limit is 50MPH. I look in my rearview mirror, lo and behold, I see someone pull out of the line and try to advance in the right lane. This person sped up and then put their blinker on in order to line jump. No one would let this person back in. Guess who was driving the car that was at the cutoff point when the linejumper had to either merge or go into the ditch. :)

At this point I have two options. I can let this person back into traffic, or I can have some fun. Guess which option I chose. As the linejumper approached me with lights blinking and frantically gesturing to me, I pretended to not be paying any attention by playing with my radio. I didn't speed up, I didn't slow down. End result, linejumper in the ditch with wheels spinning and no traction.

For many people that would be enough, but not me. I pulled into the next driveway, and then got out of my car to go "render assistance":lol: As I approached the vehicle, a young woman got out of the SUV and asked me why I didn't let her in. I told her that I saw no need to check the right lane because I didn't think that any reasonable person would be in that lane under the current road conditions. I made sure she was alright, and then turned to leave. She yelled "Hey!, My cell phone battery is dead! do you have a cell phone?". As I'm walking back to my car, I turned and replied "Yes maam, I do". I then got back into my car and drove home.

Only you you bastard :razz:

I hate cars and most motorists ... but you did something I would have keeled over laughing about had I seen it. Always being a pedestrian I would have then paused and hoped he would have asked to use a cell phone ... then I would have just laughed and watched. Don't carry one of those myself either. Oh yes, I would have made it even more fun myself.

You might be the only person who does it but I suspect not. I can tell you where I live we have plenty of driver who do similar things, just on the other side of the road.

By the way, did you comply with Michigan state law regarding reporting involvement in an accident?

I'd be tempted, and your story was funny, but seriously...10 degrees, icy roads? This woman could easily die out there...you should have let her use your phone.

are you the only one who will endanger someone's live to prove a point? i hope so.

the idiot driving the other car was doing the endangering. Mich. was in no way obligated to let her into line.

no he was not obligated to let her into the line...but that would have been the safest thing to do all around..when you are on ice...one dumbass proving a point can pile up a lot of cars...i just want to get home safely and bullshit like this from both of them..the chick and mic is endangering to everyone on the roads

Cool.:badgrin:

We have this a lot in the DC area.. a bunch of assholes who think that a yield sign in a merge area or lane that is ending, actually means that everyone else is REQUIRED to let them in because they own the road...

I have taught many a lesson to some of these asshole drivers... especially after being almost killed a number of times on my motorcycle

You never know why someone is doing it.

Yeah most are just assholes who think they are more improtant than everyone else but some actually are having an emergency.

For safety sake I let them in.

Depends on my mood to be honest.

Generally I try to be courteous when I'm driving, but there are assholes behind the wheel who bring out my inner asshole.

Anyone here ever stop their car in the middle of a road, just to walk back and punch out a tailgater who was endangering the lives of the kids in your car by sitting on your bumper at 50 MPH?

I have...and I was well over 40 when I did it, too.

Hopefully I've conquered that inner demon in me which thinks I have the obligation or the right to teach assholes like that a lesson about putting other people's lives in jeopardy just because they think they can get away with it.

are you the only one who will endanger someone's live to prove a point? i hope so.

It's funny how differently people will sometimes act when they are in their car. I would never have done what either one of these drivers did. Not worth it to jump the line, not worth it to prove a point.

Forum List

Back