Am I the only one here who thinks MLK day is largely a pandering PR crock...?

No more then any other Federal holiday...

I wonder if it's the day you have a problem with or the man it's in honor of...

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I suspect he would be seriously pissed at the fools who insist on 'claiming' him for their side of the political fence. He clearly was not overly impressed with either party. And nor am I.

The man spend a good part of his life fighting for an equal education for all. So to honor him, we close the schools. Hmm, a lesson in irony I guess.

I suspect he would be seriously pissed at the fools who insist on 'claiming' him for their side of the political fence. He clearly was not overly impressed with either party. And nor am I.

I suspect he would have realize that whites weren't worth dealing with, would have abandoned non-violence and called for the mass killings of white Americans.

I suspect he would have realize that whites weren't worth dealing with, would have abandoned non-violence and called for the mass killings of white Americans.

He sure as hell would not be thrilled with you. Once of his major influences was Gandhi. And you and I both know you're a racist fool.

that would be an embarrassment to MLK were he alive today...

your thoughts...?

nope, MLK would look at things and wonder wtf are we doing giving all these benfits to his people. While looking in disgust at his people whining about racism for stupid little patheic reasons.

I kinda think he'd be seriously, seriously pissed at the DNC for their destruction of 'his people'.

your thoughts...?
Nope...It's another political pandering job.
Several states balked at the federal designation of the MLK Holiday and refused to make the day a state holiday. Pressure was brought to bear by the federal government and the lawsuits flew.
I don't have any opposition to MLK. I thought he was a great man. He had a very inspirational and logical message.
However, certain people have taken the very mention of King's name and turned it into a race war.

your thoughts...?

nope, MLK would look at things and wonder wtf are we doing giving all these benfits to his people. While looking in disgust at his people whining about racism for stupid little patheic reasons.

I kinda think he'd be seriously, seriously pissed at the DNC for their destruction of 'his people'.

In your opinion, are blacks capable of self-determination and independent thought?

your thoughts...?

If I were MLK I'd be pissed...

If I were a great leader I would never want to be honored.

Great leaders do not lead for themselves .... Great leaders are selfless and they should be remembered that way...

They should not be honored...

Ideas and words are what they are - it doesn't matter who vocalizes or writes them.

No one is a hero for telling the truth....

But he'd love that a nasty, negative person such as you would see fit to compare herself to him. You are a hoot.

Last edited:

He sure as hell would not be thrilled with you. Once of his major influences was Gandhi. And you and I both know you're a racist fool.

Really? Got proof of that? Have you read his opinions on Malcolm X or Stokley Carmichael?

Then book a room in Memphis...

He was a registered Republican as I recall.

Maybe. But,

"I don't think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses ... And I'm not inextricably bound to either party."

^^^^ Doesn't really give the GOP very much 'support' from MLK. And likewise for the Democrats.

He was a registered Republican as I recall.

JFK's courage changed that, or was it Nixon's cowardice?

Why Do Blacks Vote for Democrats? MLK, JFK, and LBJ

In October of 1960, less then three weeks before the presidential election, Martin Luther King Jr., already recognized as Black America’s most prominent civil rights leader, had been arrested in Georgia on a traffic technicality: he was still using his Alabama license, although by then he had lived in Georgia for three months.

A swift series of moves by the state’s segregationist power structure resulted in King being sentenced to four months of hard labor on a Georgia chain gang. He was quickly spirited away to the state’s maximum security prison, and many of his supporters, fearing for his life, urgently called both the Nixon and Kennedy camps for help.

Nixon, about to campaign in South Carolina in hopes of capturing the state’s normally solid Democratic vote, took no action. Kennedy took swift action. He made a brief telephone call to a frantic Coretta Scott King, speaking in soothing generalities and telling her, “If there’s anything I can do to help, please feel free to call on me.”

It’s likely that Kennedy did not at that moment realize the political implications of that call. Ever the pragmatist, he had resisted the pleas of several aides throughout the campaign that he take bolder public stands on civil rights issues. The telephone call came because one aide caught him late at night after a hard day of campaigning and staff meetings as he was about to turn in. The aide, Harris Wofford, pitched it as just a call to calm King’s fearful spouse. Kennedy replied, “What the hell. That’s a decent thing to do. Why not? Get her on the phone.”

King was soon released, unharmed, due to a groundswell of pressure directed by blacks and whites in numerous quarters toward Georgia officials (Robert F. Kennedy himself, who was managing his brother’s campaign called the judge who sentenced King to prison). At the time, the white media paid little attention to the call, which suited the Kennedys fine. But it likely transformed the black vote. King’s father, Martin Luther King Sr., a dominating, fire-and-brimstone preacher with wide influence throughout Black America, had, like many black Southerners, always been a Republican and until that moment had said he couldn’t vote for Kennedy because he was a Catholic.

(But) the day his son was released from prison, the elder King thundered from the pulpit of his famed Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta: “I had expected to vote against Senator Kennedy because of his religion. But now he can be my president, Catholic or whatever he is… He has the moral courage to stand up for what he knows is right. I’ve got all my votes and I’ve got a suitcase, and I’m going to take them up there and dump them in his lap.”

Forum List

Back