Am I the only athiest on here, who when...

A certain type of Christian...

I understand that and have no beef with you in this thread. However, your wording seems prime to "raise the cackles" of all Christians because you are in fact challenging all of us. I cannot recall having read too much from "The Light" that I don't at least understand where he is coming from and I would not put him in the ranks of people like Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell whose tactics I disagree with.

Immie

I started my thread in response to the OP in this thread. http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/137520-the-movie-skyline.html
I mean the movie was made by Satan?? only a truly uber fundie Christian even thinks like this

I went back and skimmed the first couple of pages of that thread.

I don't agree that this was produced by Satan for the stated purposes or any purpose for that matter, but I don't see why the thread caused your OP in this thread.

Immie

Pew Forum: Faith on the Hill: The Religious Affiliations of Members of Congress

111congress.png

In many ways, the changes in the religious makeup of Congress during the last half-century mirror broader changes in American society. Congress, like the nation as a whole, has become much less Protestant and more religiously diverse. Indeed, the total percentage of Protestants in Congress has dropped from 74.1% in 1961 to 54.7% today, which roughly tracks with broader religious demographic trends during this period. As recently as the early 1980s, nearly two-thirds of Americans identified themselves as Protestants. In the recent Landscape Survey, the number of self-identified Protestants dropped to 51.3%.

So if I'm doing my math right, about 90% of Congress is Christian. Are Mormons Christian? :confused:

Since they believe Jesus is the Christ....then they're Christians.

111congress.png

In many ways, the changes in the religious makeup of Congress during the last half-century mirror broader changes in American society. Congress, like the nation as a whole, has become much less Protestant and more religiously diverse. Indeed, the total percentage of Protestants in Congress has dropped from 74.1% in 1961 to 54.7% today, which roughly tracks with broader religious demographic trends during this period. As recently as the early 1980s, nearly two-thirds of Americans identified themselves as Protestants. In the recent Landscape Survey, the number of self-identified Protestants dropped to 51.3%.

So if I'm doing my math right, about 90% of Congress is Christian. Are Mormons Christian? :confused:

Okay I missed my estimate by 9% if your numbers are right. But that does make sense as it is estimated that roughly 90% of the USA population is now Christian. And yes, some more fundamentalist groups won't accept Mormons as Christian but as Jesus Christ is a central figure in that denomination they are considered Christian.

111congress.png

Okay I missed my estimate by 9% if your numbers are right. But that does make sense as it is estimated that roughly 90% of the USA population is now Christian. And yes, some more fundamentalist groups won't accept Mormons as Christian but as Jesus Christ is a central figure in that denomination they are considered Christian.
I love how Protestants say that Catholics and Mormons are NOT Christians until they want to claim that America is 90% Christian, then suddenly they ARE Christian.

The Roman Catholic "Church" is Not Christian

The Roman Catholic "Church" is Not Christian

Practically all precepts of the Roman Catholic religion contradict the Bible repeatedly. It is the largest cult in the world and most preachers will not openly say so because it is so large. For Catholics who read this, please remember this: the person that tells you the truth is the one that cares.

For a glimpse of the atrocities committed by the Roman Catholic religion, check out the Antichrist Slideshow or do a net search on the Inquisition or the Crusades. During the Inquisition, the Roman Catholic institution killed millions. Why? Primarily to suppress any and all opposition to her heresies. Side "benefits" included taking the material wealth of its victims and showing the pope's power. The Catholic Inquisitors tortured, crippled, burned, and imprisioned millions of people. Whatever happened to love your enemies? (Matthew 5:44)

Before we get to specific problems with Catholic doctrine, let's review how this bloodthirsty organization treated a man who simply wanted to get the Bible into the hands of the common people. In the late 1300s John Wycilf translated the scriptures from the Latin. Some 40 odd years after his death, the Catholic religion dug up his bones and burned them calling him an arch-heretick. In the 1500's William Tyndale sought to translate the Bible into the language of the common people, English. He could not gain approval from the Catholic religon so he worked as an outlaw on the run in Europe, translating the Bible. He was eventually captured, condemned and executed in 1536. It is because of people like these men, Tyndale and Wycliffe, that we have the scriptures today. If the Catholic religion had its way, we'd still be in ignorance about the Bible and enslaved to the pope. Time fails me here to tell of other marytrs like John Hus, John Rogers, etc. who were killed by popish persons.

Is Mormonism Christian? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Is Mormonism Christian?
by Matt Slick

"Is Mormonism Christian?" is a very important question. The answer is equally important and simple. No. Mormonism is not Christian.

If you are a Mormon, please realize that CARM is not trying to attack you, your character, or the sincerity of your belief. If you are a non-Mormon looking into Mormonism, or if you are a Christian who is simply researching Mormonism, then this paper should be of help to you.

The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.

Mormonism teaches that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones (D. & C. 130:22) and that Jesus is a creation. It teaches that he was begotten in heaven as one of God’s spirit children (See the Book, Jesus the Christ, by James Talmage, p. 8). This is in strict contrast to the biblical teaching that he is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14), eternal (John 1:1, 2, 15), uncreated, yet born on earth (Col. 1:15), and the creator all (John 1:3; Col. 1:16-17). Jesus cannot be both created and not created at the same time. Though Mormonism teaches that Jesus is God in flesh, it teaches that he is "a" god in flesh, one of three gods that comprise the office of the Trinity (Articles of Faith, by Talmage, pp. 35-40). These three gods are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. This is in direct contradiction of the biblical doctrine that there is only one God (Isaiah 44:6,8; 45:5). See Trinity for a correct discussion of what the Trinity is.

Because Mormonism denies the biblical truth of who God is, who Jesus is, how forgiveness of sins is attained, and what the gospel is, the Mormon is not Christian -- in spite of all his claims that he is Christian.

Last edited:
Message to Atheist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6MCNAxF5U[/ame]

Last edited:
...they read posts by the true-blue god botherers (ie, The Light), it only reinforces the fact there is no god? And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

I wasn't "recruited" by God.

He created me with free will, and I found him on my own.

You will find him one day also, but it will likely be too late.

Still, we pray for you.

Right. The US is a Christian theocracy.

No....that is an extremist viewpoint.

The Constitution prohibits the establishment of a theocracy.

In this country we are allowed to recognize Christianity without letting it rule our lives....like most Middle Eastern countries do. Muslims in their attempts to follow the 5 pillars of Islam are bound by their beliefs to establish their religion in every single facet of their lives.

The fastest growing view on religion is clearly atheist.

!990 about 5% 2010 about 17% Is there another view on religion that has gained a 300% popularity in the last 20 years?

It is thought by many that the actual percentage of those that do not believe in a god is closer to 30%. Many do not openly admit atheism for fear of retribution.

In this country we are allowed to recognize Christianity without letting it rule our lives....like most Middle Eastern countries do. Muslims in their attempts to follow the 5 pillars of Islam are bound by their beliefs to establish their religion in every single facet of their lives.

Yup. A theocracy is a government under jurisdiction of or controlled by a religious group. Iran is such a totalitarian theocracy--you aren't required to become Muslim, but you conform to the fundamentalist dictates of the Qu'ran or be severely punished or die. The first Americans came to this country to escape the Theocratic Monarchy of England and have freedom to worship according to their consciences--anyone who was not Anglican then was persecuted, harrassed, and denied full status among the English.

Again it is because America is a mostly Christian nation founded upon the principles of liberty and protection of unalienable rights that nobody in this country is required to be Christian, nobody is punished or denied anything because he or she is not Christian, and everybody can freely be who or what they are.

Yup. A theocracy is a government under jurisdiction of or controlled by a religious group. Iran is such a totalitarian theocracy--you aren't required to become Muslim, but you conform to the fundamentalist dictates of the Qu'ran or be severely punished or die. The first Americans came to this country to escape the Theocratic Monarchy of England and have freedom to worship according to their consciences--anyone who was not Anglican then was persecuted, harrassed, and denied full status among the English.

Again it is because America is a mostly Christian nation founded upon the principles of liberty and protection of unalienable rights that nobody in this country is required to be Christian, nobody is punished or denied anything because he or she is not Christian, and everybody can freely be who or what they are.

How do you catagorize Israel?...a self admitted religious based state.

How do you catagorize Israel?...a self admitted religious based state.

Israel is not a theocracy any more than the USA is a theocracy. Nobody is required to embrace Judaism or follow Jewish law in Israel. Muslims can attend their mosques at will and without concern of retaliation; Christians and Buddhists have no fear practicting their faiths openly. Israel does maintain a strong Israeli majority, however, because that is the only way they can be Israelis without fear and/or practice their Jewish faith openly and without fear. Once they allow an Arab majority, Israel ceases to exist.

Forum List

Back