Am I Mistaking or Does Not The Oil Leak Look Worse?

I had the same issue. My screen view is murky as fuck.

I can see the gusher on the left but can barely see the right side of the blob on the sea floor.
there was only ONE when i looked at it yesterday
so it has got worse

WOAH!!! I just took a look and there are 4 or 5 holes in it now. It has worsened by a factor of 2 or 3 times in the last hour.

I'd say the Top Kill has failed.

Next.....

There is an old addage that if ya run across a big nasty hole...ya jam a ham up in there and pull out the bone....

Just sayin.......:lol::lol::lol:

Why are we even wasting time with a bunch of bullshit that failed in 200 feet of water the last time shit broke in the gulf?

Mandate that all drilling include relief wells drilled concurrently so that the relieve well can be completed and pressure relieved within days if this shit happens. Problem solved.

From the live video feed link the "Top Kill" does not seem to be working very well. They may need to use a "Junk Shot" with large debris to clog those holes.

They tried that last time- thirty odd years ago in 200 feet of water. It doesn't work. Period. The only thing that has ever worked before is relief wells. If this top-kill works, it wll be the first time it's ever worked under more than 200 feet of water.

what is that thing on the right side of the feed? Looks like a drill or something? What are they suppose to be doing, filling it up with a bunch of junk?

I just exited out of it and then on BP main page I clicked on the live feed again. The picture has changed, very hard to see but it looks like it might be working now. I take that back

'Top kill' stops gulf oil leak, official says
The "top kill" effort, launched Wednesday afternoon by industry and government engineers, had pumped enough drilling fluid to block oil and gas spewing from the well, Allen said. The pressure from the well was very low, he said, but persisting.

Once engineers had reduced the well pressure to zero, they were to begin pumping cement into the hole to entomb the well. To help in that effort, he said, engineers also were pumping some debris into the blowout preventer at the top of the well.

As of early Thursday morning, neither government nor BP officials had declared the effort a success yet, pending the completion of the cementing and sealing of the well.

Allen said one ship that was pumping fluid into the well had run out of the fluid, or "mud," and that a second ship was on the way. He said he was encouraged by the progress.

"We'll get this under control," he said.

They miscalculated the volume of mud & the title of this story is misleading.

It does sound like they may eventually get this flow to slow or stop enough to plug the leaks!

:woohoo:This is good news:woohoo:

The "top kill" effort, launched Wednesday afternoon by industry and government engineers, had pumped enough drilling fluid to block oil and gas spewing from the well, Allen said. The pressure from the well was very low, he said, but persisting.

Once engineers had reduced the well pressure to zero, they were to begin pumping cement into the hole to entomb the well. To help in that effort, he said, engineers also were pumping some debris into the blowout preventer at the top of the well.

As of early Thursday morning, neither government nor BP officials had declared the effort a success yet, pending the completion of the cementing and sealing of the well.

Allen said one ship that was pumping fluid into the well had run out of the fluid, or "mud," and that a second ship was on the way. He said he was encouraged by the progress.

It does sound like they may eventually get this flow to slow or stop enough to plug the leaks!

it looks worse now than it did before

how can you have confidence that they will make it better when the facts are its getting worse
lol

it looks worse now than it did before

how can you have confidence that they will make it better when the facts are its getting worse
lol

Because if they are getting enough heavy drilling mud down the well shaft to reduce oil pressure then in time with enough more mud they can reduce pressure enough to cap this monster. They had to pump the mud at higher pressure & volume down 2 small pipes than the well was leaking to overcome this & it sounds like they were able to do that. They had to exceed nearly 30,000 psi of pressure with more volume through small pipes than the 21" riser pipe was leaking. Most hydraulic systems on heavy construction equipment runs around 3,000 psi. This was 10 times that with massive volume.

It makes the riser pipe leak more while they are pumping the mud in at higher pressure than the well has, but eventually they can fill the entire well shaft with heavy mud. That will hold pressure down into the well & reduce the pressure enough to cap it

It looks like this high pressure mud injection popped another hole in the 5/8" thick steel riser overnight. If the leak exceeds their inlet ability, the well kicks, or the riser blows open this thing is going to get uglier fast. They better have the tight fitting top hat ready on standby. I now give this "Top Kill" less than a 50% chance of success. This is some no guts no glory cowboy effort going on now.

I have to agree. It looks worse than before. It seems even more oil and gas is being pumped into the Gulf. No wonder BP withheld the live feed for so long. It looks bad...

I have to agree. It looks worse than before. It seems even more oil and gas is being pumped into the Gulf. No wonder BP withheld the live feed for so long. It looks bad...

Thats not oil & gas coming out currently that is mostly drilling mud. If this fails it will be all oil & gas in greater volume than before.

Good point. I just heard that on CNN also. Let's hope this works.

It looks like failure is nearly certain. I give it a 20% chance of success. This thing is leaking from the BOP now. Big trouble is coming. Prepare the Gulf for bad news.

Last edited:
It looks like failure is nearly certain. I give it a 20% chance of success. This thing is leaking from the BOP now. Big trouble is coming. Prepare the Gulf for bad news.

I agree...I give it about 10 percent chance of success. This is far worst then any global warming because if this keeps going it will likely kill everything in the gulf of Mexico within the next 3-4 months. It won't stop.

I agree...I give it about 10 percent chance of success. This is far worst then any global warming because if this keeps going it will likely kill everything in the gulf of Mexico within the next 3-4 months. It won't stop.

Of course it will stop--everything stops.

Has anyone thought of using Duct Tape?

That works pretty well for most anything, like holding your car bumper on.

No question it will stop, but if it is as big as a find as some believe it could take years.

Last edited:

No question it will stop, but if it is as big as a find as some believe it could take years.

Yes it could ------I'm all for it stopping today but I don't think me hoping it will is going to make a difference. Shit happens. I bet the Gulf was a giant mess after the giant asteroid hit it yet it somehow rebounded nicely.

$tnOrp.jpg

Forum List

Back