Am I heartless?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I have heard several radio shows and tv shows asking people to open up their homes to the displaced victims of Katrina.

I thought at first, this would be a nice idea, making a difference in someone's life. But then I thought about the fact that I don't know the people that would come into my home. Personally, I would rather donate food and water or sponsor a family by putting them in a hotel than inviting total strangers into my home. Why? Two words: Amy Smart.

Her mother thought she was being the good samaritan by inviting a strange, homeless man to do chores around the house, and such for extra money. He ended up kidnapping and molesting and raping her daughter. Amy was lucky to be found alive.

I have a 2yo son. I wouldn't know if the people that I would be taking in, were legit and straight, or drug dealers and criminals, or even child molestors. Those people were victims of the storm too, not just good, decent people. How do I know that the people I am taking in, aren't going to rob me of everything I have worked hard for? How do I know they won't hurt my son in any way? How do I know THEY weren't the ones shooting rescue workers, looting stores for stuff they did not need? There is no guarantee of this. If these people were willing to steal tv's and stereos (no electricity, so why?), who says they won't steal the dvd collection or my 2 computers and sell them?

As kind hearted as I am, I refuse to subject my family and finances to that kind of risk.

I just don't trust unknown people. If judges and lawyers would have done the right thing, these types of criminals would not have been on the street to begin with, thus I would not worry as much, although there are many criminals out there that have not been caught yet. Those people were also victims of the storm.

I don't trust people anymore because liberals have instilled a sense of selfishness in society, blaming others for problems they themselves have created, to where fewer and fewer people have respect for others, private property, but expect to be respected automatically, not earn it.

Not heartless... Sensible.

Letting strange people into your home without even the tiniest bit of information about them will very often turn into a mistake. Helping them with shelter doesn't take letting somebody come into your house and can often be solved with barracks in former military bases, etc.

We have no way of telling if the people you would let into your house might not be one of the people that were sniping at the good samaritans bringing help in NO.

You aren't heartless and you aren't alone. We have over 20,000 survivors here in Memphis and there are very few people (lower middle class and above) who have opened their homes to complete strangers. The outpouring of compassion and assistance here is amazing; between the food and clothes donations, assistance, etc. People are donating other properties they own (rental) at no charge for the survivors, just not their home.

There were several people interviewed on TV the other evening about this same subject. Everyone said nearly the same thing you did. "I don't know them, I have children, etc."

In fact, one Africa-American lady - about 50 years old - when asked if she would open up her home replied, "And have them do to my house what they did to that dome thing down there? No way."

I was in the the grocery store over the weekend and met a couple you were from Biloxi. The hotel they were staying in had a mini-fridge and microwave so they bought some Hot Pockets, small thing of milk,soft drinks, 6 pack of beer, etc..just a few necessities.

I offered to buy everything for them. They first said no, but after I insisted, they agreed. It was only about $50.00 for everything but I could see how happy and thankful they were. She cried and hugged me; his eyes welled up.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Whatever it is, will help and they will be so thankful.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Whatever it is, will help and they will be so thankful.

Bingo.. I donated a weeks worth of my vacation time through work. It's not money I'll miss, it's not time I'll miss, but it's at *least* a weeks worth of income for some people... They deducted the hours from my stockpile of vacation, turn it in to cash, and send it on...

Shattered said:
Bingo.. I donated a weeks worth of my vacation time through work. It's not money I'll miss, it's not time I'll miss, but it's at *least* a weeks worth of income for some people... They deducted the hours from my stockpile of vacation, turn it in to cash, and send it on...

I wish they'd let me do that here...

no1tovote4 said:
I wish they'd let me do that here...

Try suggesting it.. Unless you work for a non-profit organization, it's not going to be tax deductible.. But the taxes on what you're giving up are minimal in comparison to what some people have lost.. It's an easy enough thing to implement..

I don't have much extra cash at the moment, but as I am starting my own business, I have a business credit line I bought about $300 worth of food and water at Sam's Club, and brought it to the local TV station that already had 5 semi's FULL of food donations since their announcement on 8/31

I bought mostly diapers because as a mother I know those often are used faster than food. I also bought 3 cases of bottled water, 4 boxes of 3-pack general mills cereals, saltines, peanut butter, granola bars, bags of pre-popped popcorn, baked beans, kraft easy mac, bagels, nut mixes, and other stuff that provides not only a more filling snack/meal, more nutrients and usable calories than chips and sodas would.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I don't have much extra cash at the moment, but as I am starting my own business, I have a business credit line I bought about $300 worth of food and water at Sam's Club, and brought it to the local TV station that already had 5 semi's FULL of food donations since their announcement on 8/31

I bought mostly diapers because as a mother I know those often are used faster than food. I also bought 3 cases of bottled water, 4 boxes of 3-pack general mills cereals, saltines, peanut butter, granola bars, bags of pre-popped popcorn, baked beans, kraft easy mac, bagels, nut mixes, and other stuff that provides not only a more filling snack/meal, more nutrients and usable calories than chips and sodas would.

That is wonderful. Whoever gets your goodies will be very thankful.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I have heard several radio shows and tv shows asking people to open up their homes to the displaced victims of Katrina.

I thought at first, this would be a nice idea, making a difference in someone's life. But then I thought about the fact that I don't know the people that would come into my home. Personally, I would rather donate food and water or sponsor a family by putting them in a hotel than inviting total strangers into my home. Why? Two words: Amy Smart.

Her mother thought she was being the good samaritan by inviting a strange, homeless man to do chores around the house, and such for extra money. He ended up kidnapping and molesting and raping her daughter. Amy was lucky to be found alive.

I have a 2yo son. I wouldn't know if the people that I would be taking in, were legit and straight, or drug dealers and criminals, or even child molestors. Those people were victims of the storm too, not just good, decent people. How do I know that the people I am taking in, aren't going to rob me of everything I have worked hard for? How do I know they won't hurt my son in any way? How do I know THEY weren't the ones shooting rescue workers, looting stores for stuff they did not need? There is no guarantee of this. If these people were willing to steal tv's and stereos (no electricity, so why?), who says they won't steal the dvd collection or my 2 computers and sell them?

As kind hearted as I am, I refuse to subject my family and finances to that kind of risk.

I just don't trust unknown people. If judges and lawyers would have done the right thing, these types of criminals would not have been on the street to begin with, thus I would not worry as much, although there are many criminals out there that have not been caught yet. Those people were also victims of the storm.

I don't trust people anymore because liberals have instilled a sense of selfishness in society, blaming others for problems they themselves have created, to where fewer and fewer people have respect for others, private property, but expect to be respected automatically, not earn it.

The vast majority of people that are displaced are lack for a better word trash, White, Black or Hispanic. They will drain your pocket book and probably sue you for slipping on the floor. The project culture of the Superdome crowd is something from the 70's. These are the people shooting at rescue workers. My aunt in Lake Charles wanted to do the same thing but
I wouldn't let her. It is a sign of the times that good hearted people have to be protected from those they want to help.

God Bless You And Your Family

GotZoom said:
You aren't heartless and you aren't alone. We have over 20,000 survivors here in Memphis and there are very few people (lower middle class and above) who have opened their homes to complete strangers. The outpouring of compassion and assistance here is amazing; between the food and clothes donations, assistance, etc. People are donating other properties they own (rental) at no charge for the survivors, just not their home.

There were several people interviewed on TV the other evening about this same subject. Everyone said nearly the same thing you did. "I don't know them, I have children, etc."

In fact, one Africa-American lady - about 50 years old - when asked if she would open up her home replied, "And have them do to my house what they did to that dome thing down there? No way."

I was in the the grocery store over the weekend and met a couple you were from Biloxi. The hotel they were staying in had a mini-fridge and microwave so they bought some Hot Pockets, small thing of milk,soft drinks, 6 pack of beer, etc..just a few necessities.

I offered to buy everything for them. They first said no, but after I insisted, they agreed. It was only about $50.00 for everything but I could see how happy and thankful they were. She cried and hugged me; his eyes welled up.

It sounds like to me you touch some good folk over there. God bless you. I agree that you can only do what you are comfortable with. Don't be stupid. Also don't donate to the Red Cross which the President of Jefferson Parish (Metarie) says they will not operate in his parish. I believe his name is Arron Brown. We have given to hurricane victims for the last 50 years and when we need the Red Cross they will not come south of I-12.

Forum List

Back