Alzheimer's breakthrough.

• Banned
Quote:

Experts said the findings, from Duke University in North Carolina, USA, could “open new doors” in the increasingly frustrated global hunt for a dementia therapy.

Researchers at Duke announced that their studies of Alzheimer’s in mice had thrown up a new process they believe contributes to the disease’s development.

They observed that in Alzheimer’s, immune cells that normally protect the brain instead begin to consume a vital nutrient called arginine.

By blocking this process with a drug, they were able to prevent the formation of ‘plaques’ in the brain that are characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease, and also halted memory loss in the mice.

There has been no breakthrough and doctors are still as clueless as they have always been.

Crossword puzzles, Tetris, juggling, and ginkgo biloba helps stave off mental decline and symptoms of Alz as well.
My mom has late stages of alz symptoms. Lately she's getting really aggravated over nothing. The walk took longer than she thought, my dad takes a long time shopping and she has to go to the bathroom a million times. And she doesnt know how to wipe so shit gets everywhere if she tries to go without my dad but she gets mad or insulted if I suggest she wait for him to come home.

Or if I have the window down she's cold she doesnt get mad if I dont close the window after she asks, she just gets really mad about it right away. I say OK OK and do whatever she asks.

One time I took her to a restaurant to pick up takeout and she got really mad because it took too long. The whole point of taking her out is to give my dad 2 hours rest.

Anyways, tomorrow I'm taking him some pot cookies. He's finally willing to try anything. I really think they are going to chill her out.

The blocking is being done by MaryJane...........dig it..........far out..........keep on trucking........

The blocking is being done by MaryJane...........dig it..........far out..........keep on trucking........
Huh?
What is sad is they knew this 7 years ago.....The USA holds a new patent on the extract used from marijuana for the treatment of Alheimer's,
A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer s Disease Pathology

i would be careful with the pot brownies.....my mother has dementia but she is in assisted care.....she is in the late stages and having a lot of trouble..she just wants to go home...i dont hold out much hope for her at this stage but it would be nice to see hope for the new ones....horrible disease...

i would be careful with the pot brownies.....my mother has dementia but she is in assisted care.....she is in the late stages and having a lot of trouble..she just wants to go home...i dont hold out much hope for her at this stage but it would be nice to see hope for the new ones....horrible disease...
I'll let you know how it goes. Very small dose to start. I'm worried she might freak out.

From what I'm hearing and what I know about all and pot, I'd 100% want someone feeding me pot brownies. No question in my mind. Can't wait to try it. I'll try anything. I like getting hi why wouldnt a miserable during person?

cause she could end up in the hospital and you could end up explaining this.....in michigan where pot is still illegal...and then they ad elder abuse...start small...

I feel we are talking about different diseases here. When your mother becomes irritable for the length of as wait, an Alzhiemer's patient won't do that. They can't remember where they were going and why. Leaving her in the car is not a good idea, btw. An Alzhiemer's patient would get up and leave.

My mother had Alzhiemers and for a while she was combative with others but that didn't last long. She will forget who you are and claim you are something you are not. My mother thought I was a "train lady" trying to schmooze her husband.

The best advice I can give to a person caring for an Alzhiemer's patient is to "enter their world" and agree with what they say. My mother went into Alzhiemer's care late in the game. She thought she was in a Country Club and when she had a lucid moment, she wanted to leave. We told her the cab was coming and she settled into doing something else. Give them things to do like folding laundry. When they are "done" take the basket in another room, mess up the towels and repeat the task.

I used to take my mother for rides and to the store. She thought I was her mother then and wanted to bring her ceramic pekinese with us all the time She thought it was a real dog and pet continually. It was very soothing to her. When we entered the store, I assume my role of mother and reminded her not to touch anything. She held my hand and we walked. Very slowly and talked about anything that entered her head.

My father did not fare well with my mother. He kept telling her she was wrong about things and it agitated her more. When she swept the carpet with a broom he became upset because she wasn't using the vacuum. He never got it straight that if she isn't bothering anyone or doing something dangerous, let her be. Tell her she is doing a good job and thank her. Enter her world.

The time will come when she can no longer communicate. That is the loneliest and saddest part of the disease...for both of you. While she is still communicative, please remind her how much you love her. There will come a time when you no longer can and it will break your heart.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back