Alternative Voting

I currently live in a state where the Gov., a radical Tea party Republican, got into office with 38% of the vote.

The other two leading candidates, a progressive independent and an old school Dem took 55% of the votes combined.

So in a state that overwhelming voted AGAINST the radical GOP line of Lapage, we ended up with a Tea Bagger in office.

An attempt to create a recall process is already at hand, incidently.

LePage the winner, carrying 38.1% of the votes.[2] Cutler was in second place with 36.7% of the votes (less than 7,500 votes behind LePage), while Mitchell was a distant third with 19%.[2] Moody and Scott had 5% and 1%, respectively.[2] Two days after the election, with 99% of precincts reporting, LePage's lead over Cutler had widened to more than 10,000 votes.[3]

source wiki

I think I'll be in hospital so no, I probably won't be able to vote. If I am able to vote, I will vote against. Let's keep the Lib Dems where they belong...no hopers!

Brits in awe of Obama! Don't make me laugh. I think most of us recognise his dislike for Britain. He doesn't hold much respect here.

What? Y'all have cottoned on to his total disdain for your country? Damn, we thought we'd slipped that past without you noticing. :lol: So, is that why he hasn't been invited to the wedding? :lol::lol:

This whole AV thing is, in my view, something the Conservatives and Labor cooked up to placate the LibDems. What a ridiculous way to run a country. :lol:

Yeh, strange he hasn't been invited to the wedding. Every other poser and self-important twat has!

There was never going to be a coalition with the Lib Dems without some form of proportional voting system being a condition. Rather comical to see one half of the coalition electioneering for a yes vote whilst Cameron and the Tories campaign for a no vote. :lol:

Having taken some more time to review this 'Alternative Vote' system, seems to me that, applying the 'law of unintended consequences', Britain may see this system puts more power into the hands of minority parties like the BNP. :eek: Is that really in the best interests of Britain? :eusa_eh:

I think I'll be in hospital so no, I probably won't be able to vote. If I am able to vote, I will vote against. Let's keep the Lib Dems where they belong...no hopers!

Brits in awe of Obama! Don't make me laugh. I think most of us recognise his dislike for Britain. He doesn't hold much respect here.

What? Y'all have cottoned on to his total disdain for your country? Damn, we thought we'd slipped that past without you noticing. :lol: So, is that why he hasn't been invited to the wedding? :lol::lol:

This whole AV thing is, in my view, something the Conservatives and Labor cooked up to placate the LibDems. What a ridiculous way to run a country. :lol:

Yeh, strange he hasn't been invited to the wedding. Every other poser and self-important twat has!

There was never going to be a coalition with the Lib Dems without some form of proportional voting system being a condition. Rather comical to see one half of the coalition electioneering for a yes vote whilst Cameron and the Tories campaign for a no vote. :lol:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbfG_eKlZg]YouTube - John Cleese Explains Proportional Representation[/ame]

Having taken some more time to review this 'Alternative Vote' system, seems to me that, applying the 'law of unintended consequences', Britain may see this system puts more power into the hands of minority parties like the BNP. :eek: Is that really in the best interests of Britain? :eusa_eh:

Well, if there was the chance of the BNP getting representation, it might provoke government into doing something about illegal immigrants and uncontrolled immigration. That would certainly be in our best interests.

Well, if there was the chance of the BNP getting representation, it might provoke government into doing something about illegal immigrants and uncontrolled immigration. That would certainly be in our best interests.

That's true. I read yesterday that police forces can link exploding crime rates to an increase in immigration from Eastern Europe... in some forces, they've seen a 200% increase in arrests from those countries. :eek: The cost of that to UK taxpayers (of which I am one) must be huge.

And.... what the hell is with that damned census shit? All they need to know is how many people live at an address.... they don't need the rest of that bullshit info they're asking but you can't opt out of it. That's outrageous!!

I currently live in a state where the Gov., a radical Tea party Republican, got into office with 38% of the vote.

The other two leading candidates, a progressive independent and an old school Dem took 55% of the votes combined.

So in a state that overwhelming voted AGAINST the radical GOP line of Lapage, we ended up with a Tea Bagger in office.

An attempt to create a recall process is already at hand, incidently.

LePage the winner, carrying 38.1% of the votes.[2] Cutler was in second place with 36.7% of the votes (less than 7,500 votes behind LePage), while Mitchell was a distant third with 19%.[2] Moody and Scott had 5% and 1%, respectively.[2] Two days after the election, with 99% of precincts reporting, LePage's lead over Cutler had widened to more than 10,000 votes.[3]

source wiki

Colin - you're probably not familiar with this "recall" thing. Basically what seems to happen these days is that when someone is elected, if he or she does something that one or other side doesn't like, they try and get that person "recalled', which basically means removed from office.

It's happening here in Michigan too. Governor Snyder's recent budget proposals have come under attack (in short, he's proposing cutting back on tax breaks and incentives in numerous areas in order and give them in others - the most high profile being lowering the tax burden for corporations). I don't agree with some of his proposals (I think if he's saving money he ought to focus on reducing the deficit first) but to be fair to him his proposals are not inconsistent with his pre-election manifesto. However, those who don't agree with it are now trying to get a recall vote underway, and the momentum seems to have gathered pace following a piece by MNSNBC's Rachel Maddow, which has already been linked numerous times on this site.

I can understand recalling a politician for criminal activity / corruption, but it seems to me to have become a tool for activists under almost any circumstances. Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer (a good, progressive and intelligent mayor) was basically hounded out of office 10 years ago by a recall campaign which seemed to be rooted in how open he was to dealing with corporations and white people! As a result, Detroit got Kwame Kilpatrick as Mayor for most of the decade - until he ended up in prison!

Maybe an American can explain it better than I just did, but it all seems very odd to me. :lol:

Forum List

Back