Alt button

musicman

Mar 3, 2004
Ohio
This has happened to me a couple of times. I'll be typing a post, and accidentally hit one of the Alt buttons on either side of the "space" bar. Then nothing I type goes to the screen, and my only way out involves dumping my entire post. I hate to bother you with dumb questions, but nobody's been able to help me on this. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by musicman
This has happened to me a couple of times. I'll be typing a post, and accidentally hit one of the Alt buttons on either side of the "space" bar. Then nothing I type goes to the screen, and my only way out involves dumping my entire post. I hate to bother you with dumb questions, but nobody's been able to help me on this. Any thoughts?

did you try hitting the "alt" key again?

Sure did. No effect at all. Almost as if the computer was saying, "Now you've gone and done it - you've hit the DESTRUCT button!" Really frustrating.

Well, I can't MAKE the s.o.b. do it now! I'm thinking, though (God help us all), that I might have actually hit the little flag-looking key NEXT to the Alt button, then tried to solve the problem by hitting the Alt button. Better hands, that's all I need.

Thanks for the help, Hgrokit and SE. Together, I think we may have solved it!

Sorry, I don't use Microsoft anything on this computer, and I cannot reproduce it.

I will try on another in the AM.

I've had that happen before. I moved my mouse pointer back to where it had left off and left click. It goes right back. That is with Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks, Pale Rider. I'll try that the next time it happens - which, with my typing skills - is an excellent bet.

I can't reproduce the problem on Win2k.

It must be a WinXP thing only.

Originally posted by NewGuy
I can't reproduce the problem on Win2k.

It must be a WinXP thing only.

Oh, I have every confidence that I can reproduce it - probably at the tail end of a devastatingly clever ( in my mind, at least ) 600-word post!

It's good to have you back, NewGuy. Hope you're doing O.K. .

Oh, I have every confidence that I can reproduce it - probably at the tail end of a devastatingly clever ( in my mind, at least ) 600-word post!

It's good to have you back, NewGuy. Hope you're doing O.K. .

Thanks!

-Good to BE back.

I am fine now. No more overworking and sacrificing the health....(for a while) ;)

As for the Alt thing, have you tried technet for a look up?

Forum List

Back