Along Came A Spider...

I did it...I made it through the whole thread...I'm still shaking...this was not a good idea for someone with arachnophobia...but hey, I'm working on it....

I see the OP's big nope( nope = spider) and I raise you the nope as big as my hand with battle wounds from previous battles.

x9na3.jpg

I see the OP's big nope( nope = spider) and I raise you the nope as big as my hand with battle wounds from previous battles.

x9na3.jpg

There's only 5 legs there, what did you do to that spider????

Well, I found him that way. Like I said in my post, fucking battle wounds/scars.
I had to whack it multiple times before it croaked because it rushed at me and still kept going each time I whacked it (even though i killed some legs and it's ass)

x9na3.jpg

There's only 5 legs there, what did you do to that spider????

Well, I found him that way. Like I said in my post, fucking battle wounds/scars.
I had to whack it multiple times before it croaked because it rushed at me and still kept going each time I whacked it (even though i killed some legs and it's ass)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

holy shit!!!

On Okinawa of the mid-1950s we lived in dilapidated, WW-II vintage quonset huts. The mosquito populations were so thick after sundown we had to sleep under netting and were issued spray cans of repellent that was so strong it irritated the skin.

The old native women (mama-sans) who came on base to do our laundry had a solution. In exchange for five cartons of Pall Mall cigarettes (we paid a dollar a carton at the PX) they brought a large, hairy, dark green spider (called a huboo) in a can with gauze over the top and released it in a corner of the hut.

The spider ran right up the wall and soon began weaving a web in the corner. By the next day the web, about 24" diameter, was completed and already had mosquitos stuck to it.

Those Okinawan mosquitoes were twice to three times bigger than any I've seen in the U.S. and we had such hatred for them it was a pleasure to lie in the rack in the evening and watch the huboos (we eventually had one in each corner) kill and eat them as they landed on and stuck to the webs.

I believe every quonset hut on Okinawa, like the native houses, had pet spiders and they really kept the mosquito problem at a minimum.

... an' sat down beside her...

... an' said...

... "Hey Muff...

... don't bogart dem curds.
:badgrin:

No NO.....
it's.....

Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet
eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider, sat down beside her
and said...."Hey, what's in the bowl bitch?"

off the cuff guess...... cuz dinner is ready

large wolf spider.
*shiver*

On my last travel assignment, I came home from work one morning to find this sitting in the middle of the bed.

I am normally a big fan of spiders. But one time in particular I was less than thrilled by an 8 legged creature.

I was working in Kentucky and the company had rented a cabin for me, instead of staying in a motel for 2 years. I was showering before heading out to work, and I felt a tickle on my thigh. I looked down and saw a wolf spider climbing my thigh. From leg tip to leg tip it was probably 4 inches across. Normally I would either let it go or catch it and release it outside. But somehow being naked changes things completely. I screamed like a little girl, slapped the spider and went slip-sliding out of the shower, out of the bathroom and somehow managed to stay on my feet across the kitchen.

I have pictures of the spider somewhere. When I find them I'll post them.

But I thought about it later. If I had slipped and cracked my skull in my mad dash, what would the investigators have thought? The spider would have been long gone. So why was this large man lying on the kitchen floor, covered in soap, with no towel or anything in sight?

I'm betting it would have confused plenty of people.

BTW, I got my heart rate down to semi-normal in 3 or 4 hours. lol

The nice thing about quilting is you can make quilts of really yukky stuff, "devil's claws," "coffin quilt," and "spider's web" yet, you don't have to experience the ick experience of worrying whether the spider that just bit you was a recluse or other poisonous arachnid. Here's a neat "spider web" quilt that's pretty cute. The neat thing about the quilt, is you wonder is it a star quilt? a web quilt? Sometimes your eyes see the star, other times, just spider webs. It rocks. Our mothers thought so too. The pattern has been around for centuries! :)

CommQuilt_Spider_web.jpg

The nonprofit organization that posted the picture also has a pdf page on instructions of how to make a spider web quilt. Great for the entomologist on your gift list! :)

Last edited:
the black widows i have seen on my property have 2 reddish orange dots, not hourglass like you hear.

The copperheads look, brownsish red and the rattlers are gray.

The nice thing about quilting is you can make quilts of really yukky stuff, "devil's claws," "coffin quilt," and "spider's web" yet, you don't have to experience the ick experience of worrying whether the spider that just bit you was a recluse or other poisonous arachnid. Here's a neat "spider web" quilt that's pretty cute. The neat thing about the quilt, is you wonder is it a star quilt? a web quilt? Sometimes your eyes see the star, other times, just spider webs. It rocks. Our mothers thought so too. The pattern has been around for centuries! :)

CommQuilt_Spider_web.jpg

The nonprofit organization that posted the picture also has a pdf page on instructions of how to make a spider web quilt. Great for the entomologist on your gift list! :)

I love this!!!!!

My son! He would absolutely adore it! Maybe if we ALL work on it, we could get it done?

On second thought...I just checked out the directions and they make no sense to me. I need step by step, with pictures. Just showing the template and the measurements doesn't do it for me, I need directions on how to do the strips (with pictures) I don't think we'll be doing this one any time soon.

But it is beautiful.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back