Along Came A Spider...

Ahem.

Kill them. Kill them with fire. A lot. I recommend napalm in multiple 55 gallon drums.

It's the only moderate approach to the problem

Halpopelma lividum Found at Spanish-speaking Arachnidia forum (of which I only understood 3 or 4 words, but needed to creedit photo, lol):

file.php

It is actually a blue spider, but some are light-colored. The legs reminded me of your spider's picture, AVG-JOE, another had similar abdomen markings, and all the others are a beautiful blue color.

Same page,
coloration blue. Could one have hopped a boat from Myanmar or Thailand, or simply taken up with a local specie to get the odd color?:

157y6n7.jpg

I couldn't confirm any kind of a web, sorry. I'm not good in Spanish, do not know their info-gathering mannerisms, either.

I did come up with another from Name that bug dot com, thought, and here it is. It's home is Tallahassie Florida:

White Banded Fishing Spider

Posted by danielj August 22nd, 2007 at 12:00 amCategories

Spiders6 inch white furry spider
I love your site. It’s fascinating as well as informative, my children and I love viewing it since discovering it while trying to find information on the following: This spider hangs out on our back porch, putting in an appearance about once a week. We live in the woods near Tallahassee, Florida. Needless to say there is never a shortage of insects, amphibians or reptilians in our neck of the woods. But I have never seen a spider like this, altho it does resemble my pet Chilean Rosehair with the exception of having a flatter profile. It is about six inches long, fuzzy, and attractively marked. It seems very placid and docile, allowing me to get very close to take these pictures. Online searches for white spiders have yielded nothing. Can you help us? Thank you so much for your time!!
Laurie Ryan
dolomedes_albineus_laurie.jpg

Hi Laurie,
What a positively gorgeous specimen of a White Banded Fishing Spider, Dolomedes albineus. We have never seen a specimen quite this white before. Dolomedes Fishing Spiders are harmless, and quite fascinating spiders. Many species are quite aquatic, and capable of diving beneath the surface of the water to capture small fish and other aquatic creatures. The White Banded Fishing Spider is not one of the more aquatic species. It is generally found in trees. whatsthatbugdotcom

Bug Guide shows one from a guy in PA, and they also called it the White Banded Fishing Spider, although less white than the odd white ones, but it is 4cm in size, almost 2 inches.

SL2ZZLPZMLOH6HLRWHRRUHDH7HGZRLOHZLGZKL1HSLAZ2HJHXLFHXH1H5HBH4HVHXHFH2H3HEHVZXLNZ2H9Z7L3HGL.jpg

Within the same specie, I'm finding a lot of different species in Bing images of spiders with assorted light-to-dark values and colorations that seem to appear similar. With different diets, soil nutrient makeup, daylight or nighttime habits developed by a hunting fishing spider, I'm not surprised. Also, the chameleon effect is understandable, but if a white one gets huge and reproduces often, an entire subset specie can develop in an area, and many white spiders spend their entire life sheltered from the sun. Some may not, but actually be white night or day.

Joe your spider probably has a preferred fish, insect, or plant combination that caused his coloration, or it could be totally genetic. Somewhere along the line, a gene gets crossed, and one in every so many hundred thousands is an albino. Fewer than that produce albinos. Oh, and the latin name for the spider is Dolomedes albineus. If you think he could be the one, yours is in its early stage of life due to its size (or not) Also again, I saw a lot of images taken by photographers, none in the wild showing a web like yours. Chances are to photograph them, some bring them inside and place them onto a set for photography that disallows spinning a web all day.

Halpopelma lividum Found at Spanish-speaking Arachnidia forum (of which I only understood 3 or 4 words, but needed to creedit photo, lol):

file.php

It is actually a blue spider, but some are light-colored. The legs reminded me of your spider's picture, AVG-JOE, another had similar abdomen markings, and all the others are a beautiful blue color.

Same page,
coloration blue. Could one have hopped a boat from Myanmar or Thailand, or simply taken up with a local specie to get the odd color?:

157y6n7.jpg

I couldn't confirm any kind of a web, sorry. I'm not good in Spanish, do not know their info-gathering mannerisms, either.

I did come up with another from Name that bug dot com, thought, and here it is. It's home is Tallahassie Florida:

I love your site. It’s fascinating as well as informative, my children and I love viewing it since discovering it while trying to find information on the following: This spider hangs out on our back porch, putting in an appearance about once a week. We live in the woods near Tallahassee, Florida. Needless to say there is never a shortage of insects, amphibians or reptilians in our neck of the woods. But I have never seen a spider like this, altho it does resemble my pet Chilean Rosehair with the exception of having a flatter profile. It is about six inches long, fuzzy, and attractively marked. It seems very placid and docile, allowing me to get very close to take these pictures. Online searches for white spiders have yielded nothing. Can you help us? Thank you so much for your time!!
Laurie Ryan

Hi Laurie,
What a positively gorgeous specimen of a White Banded Fishing Spider, Dolomedes albineus. We have never seen a specimen quite this white before. Dolomedes Fishing Spiders are harmless, and quite fascinating spiders. Many species are quite aquatic, and capable of diving beneath the surface of the water to capture small fish and other aquatic creatures. The White Banded Fishing Spider is not one of the more aquatic species. It is generally found in trees. whatsthatbugdotcom

Bug Guide shows one from a guy in PA, and they also called it the White Banded Fishing Spider, although less white than the odd white ones, but it is 4cm in size, almost 2 inches.

SL2ZZLPZMLOH6HLRWHRRUHDH7HGZRLOHZLGZKL1HSLAZ2HJHXLFHXH1H5HBH4HVHXHFH2H3HEHVZXLNZ2H9Z7L3HGL.jpg

Within the same specie, I'm finding a lot of different species in Bing images of spiders with assorted light-to-dark values and colorations that seem to appear similar. With different diets, soil nutrient makeup, daylight or nighttime habits developed by a hunting fishing spider, I'm not surprised. Also, the chameleon effect is understandable, but if a white one gets huge and reproduces often, an entire subset specie can develop in an area, and many white spiders spend their entire life sheltered from the sun. Some may not, but actually be white night or day.

Joe your spider probably has a preferred fish, insect, or plant combination that caused his coloration, or it could be totally genetic. Somewhere along the line, a gene gets crossed, and one in every so many hundred thousands is an albino. Fewer than that produce albinos. Oh, and the latin name for the spider is Dolomedes albineus. If you think he could be the one, yours is in its early stage of life due to its size (or not) Also again, I saw a lot of images taken by photographers, none in the wild showing a web like yours. Chances are to photograph them, some bring them inside and place them onto a set for photography that disallows spinning a web all day.

I hate to say this, but the blue spider is actually kind of pretty :)

I'm with Immie.

Kill. Kill. Kill.
I used to agree with that kind of stuff, LoneLaugher. The year we put in a 1/2 acre garden in Albany Oregon (1979) a friend of mine said she always put spiders out in the garden because they control pests out there.

I've been putting found spiders in glass jars and putting them outside ever since.The really do a number on garden pests. Lady bugs do too, but spiders are the champs.

Hmmmm. Like Avg Joe, I live in Central Florida.....not far from the coast. We have a decent sized yard with lots of greenery........and a nice patch of bamboo for them to inhabit. As long as those suckers stay outside.....away from the house........and don't make me walk into their webs ( I'm pretty tall ), I will spare them.

But if they get past my regular treatment of bug barrier spray and into the house.......they had better stay in places where I don't see them. I like to take them out with rubber bands.

After living in two houses infested with Brown Recluses, I know way too much about them.

Brown Recluse Spider

Most accurate way to ID is too look at their distinctive six eye pattern. No other spider has that, but many have violin markings.

:eek:

I don't want to get close enough to check out its six eye pattern!!!!

file.php

Same page,

157y6n7.jpg

Laurie Ryan

Hi Laurie,

I hate to say this, but the blue spider is actually kind of pretty :)

Don't fret about telling this average Joe that you can find beauty in a fellow Earthling! And I happen to agree with that particular opinion of yours.

Ahem.

Kill them. Kill them with fire. A lot. I recommend napalm in multiple 55 gallon drums.

It's the only moderate approach to the problem

Sometimes, the only way to be sure is to dust off and nuke 'em from space.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg]Aliens - "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit" - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like a common garden orb weaver, non-poisonous and non-aggressive.

His name is Andrew.

Ass-u-Me-ing he's not lizard chow. Haven't seen him for a few days now :(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc]Lion King - Circle of Life - YouTube[/ame]

I really need to credit another writer for the concept in the post above, but I can't find the PM.

Any-hoo... if that was you, Mahalo!

:lmao:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFdgLrg_48]Which is the Better Prank? - Hot Girlfriend's Spider, or Boyfriend's Tanning Bed Scare - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back