Almost before we spoke, we swore.

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/science/20curs.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

The very concept of a swear word or an oath originates from the profound importance that ancient cultures placed on swearing by the name of a god or gods. In ancient Babylon, swearing by the name of a god was meant to give absolute certainty against lying, Dr. Deutscher said, "and people believed that swearing falsely by a god would bring the terrible wrath of that god upon them." A warning against any abuse of the sacred oath is reflected in the biblical commandment that one must not "take the Lord's name in vain," and even today courtroom witnesses swear on the Bible that they are telling the whole truth and nothing but.

Among Christians, the stricture against taking the Lord's name in vain extended to casual allusions to God's son or the son's corporeal sufferings - no mention of the blood or the wounds or the body, and that goes for clever contractions, too. Nowadays, the phrase, "Oh, golly!" may be considered almost comically wholesome, but it was not always so. "Golly" is a compaction of "God's body" and, thus, was once a profanity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/science/20curs.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

The very concept of a swear word or an oath originates from the profound importance that ancient cultures placed on swearing by the name of a god or gods. In ancient Babylon, swearing by the name of a god was meant to give absolute certainty against lying, Dr. Deutscher said, "and people believed that swearing falsely by a god would bring the terrible wrath of that god upon them." A warning against any abuse of the sacred oath is reflected in the biblical commandment that one must not "take the Lord's name in vain," and even today courtroom witnesses swear on the Bible that they are telling the whole truth and nothing but.

Among Christians, the stricture against taking the Lord's name in vain extended to casual allusions to God's son or the son's corporeal sufferings - no mention of the blood or the wounds or the body, and that goes for clever contractions, too. Nowadays, the phrase, "Oh, golly!" may be considered almost comically wholesome, but it was not always so. "Golly" is a compaction of "God's body" and, thus, was once a profanity.

Hell I couldn't even get by with gee whiz ( mom said it meant Jesus' whiskers ) :lol:

It seems that much of the youth of today have to curse at least once in every 10 words.
I have no religion but consider it rude, crude and showing of low self esteem.

I used to swear all the time, but now that I have a two year old who repeats a lot of what I say. Well, I say crap and fudge now. :lol:

My dad would get patriotic when he swore. :lol:

And I am religious when I um... you know.

My dad would get patriotic when he swore. :lol:

And I am religious when I um... you know.

orgasm_donor_shirt-p235772887008376037a679b_325.jpg

I heard a guy who wrote a book on ancient slang being interviewed once. He was asked what was the most offensive word one could say back in the middle ages or whenever, and he said it was "zounds," which was used to mock the wounds of Christ.

In a previous life I was a Roman centurion.

When I wanted to insult some one I called them a Carthaginian cock sucker.

You don't believe me do you Brad?

Two thousand years ago. I was there.

I died in a Pompey wine bar; I was hitting on a Nubian courtesan, my last words were "that is not an eruption, THIS is an eruption!!!"

Last edited:
I wonder what that one caveman muttered when the female he tried clubbing and taking back to his 'hole in the hill', grabbed the club and beat the shit outa him with it? maybe "WTF"?

I heard a guy who wrote a book on ancient slang being interviewed once. He was asked what was the most offensive word one could say back in the middle ages or whenever, and he said it was "zounds," which was used to mock the wounds of Christ.

Likely that oath was older than Jesus Christ.

Notice the Z sound?

Zeus?

Forum List

Back