Almost all of us are statist Progressives

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Many posters at USMB mistakenly use the term "Progressive" to demonize the Left. They fail to realize that if they want Big Government to further or prohibit their pet beliefs, that they too are Progressives. Progressivism asserts that human advancements are furthered by State political activism (statism) in changing social relationships, supporting technological innovations, regulating economic improvements, and scientific development.

Progressivism is a process and active philosophy encompassing the political spectrum from far right to far left, from libertarianism to authoritarianism. Hitler (the death camps), Stalin (collective agriculture), American pro-life (insisting on government prohibition of abortion) or anti-Marriage Equality, the Civil Rights Act, the Fair Housing Act, segregation in the American South – all are examples of Progressivism. All used politics in Big Government to change government, or society, or culture or economy to further the achievement of desired goals.

In America, certain of the left refer to themselves as Progressives in a limited, liberal sense. Some of their enemies demean them as such, not aware that they too are progressives in the operative sense of the word if they use Big Government to achieve their goals.

Last edited:
A half a point.

Wanting the Government to build, for example, a Panama Canal or a Transcontinental railroad is using government to try to improve the human condition.

But on the other hand, ignoring that the modern Left wants to place the GOvernment above the Individual, for example by denying the Inherent Nature of Human Rights, and instead defining them as being GRANTED by the government, makes your clarification dangerous in the context of the current divide.

If you want to personally use the term Leftist, Red or just, Asshole, then more power to you.

But none of this should be construed as a defense of those on the Left and their devotion to the State.

Do you agree?

• Banned
I agree that the term progressive in and of itself is neutral and is used by all factions left to right.

I also agree that when factions used statism (the politics and the law) to segregate people based on color or sends to the ovens, that that is right wing statist progressivsm, putting Government over people.

I agree that the term progressive in and of itself is neutral and is used by all factions left to right.

I also agree that when factions used statism (the politics and the law) to segregate people based on color or sends to the ovens, that that is right wing statist progressivsm, putting Government over people.

Racism is not unique to the Right, nor is genocide or mass murder.

DO you believe that Human RIghts are inherent or are granted by the State?

Many posters at USMB mistakenly use the term "Progressive" to demonize the Left. They fail to realize that if they want Big Government to further or prohibit their pet beliefs, that they too are Progressives. Progressivism asserts that human advancements are furthered by State political activism (statism) in changing social relationships, supporting technological innovations, regulating economic improvements, and scientific development.

Progressivism is a process and active philosophy encompassing the political spectrum from far right to far left, from libertarianism to authoritarianism. Hitler (the death camps), Stalin (collective agriculture), American pro-life (insisting on government prohibition of abortion) or anti-Marriage Equality, the Civil Rights Act, the Fair Housing Act, segregation in the American South – all are examples of Progressivism. All used politics in Big Government to change government, or society, or culture or economy to further the achievement of desired goals.

In America, certain of the left refer to themselves as Progressives in a limited, liberal sense. Some of their enemies demean them as such, not aware that they too are progressives in the operative sense of the word if they use Big Government to achieve their goals.

^ Jake finally out of the closet!

• Banned

Racism is not unique to the Right, nor is genocide or mass murder. DO you believe that Human RIghts are inherent or are granted by the State?
Jefferson said they are inalienable. The Amendments list them.

• Banned

^ Jake finally out of the closet!
You area progressive statist, Frank; don't lie. :lol:

"progressives" camp in both parties

the huckster is one of many

Racism is not unique to the Right, nor is genocide or mass murder. DO you believe that Human RIghts are inherent or are granted by the State?

I asked what you believe.

Do YOU believe that Human Rights are inherent or are granted by the State?

I asked what you believe. Do YOU believe that Human Rights are inherent or are granted by the State?
Immaterial. What do you believe? If you believe they are inalienable, granted by God, and you wish to use the government to protect those rights, then you are a progressive statist.

I asked what you believe. Do YOU believe that Human Rights are inherent or are granted by the State?
Immaterial. What do you believe? If you believe they are inalienable, granted by God, and you wish to use the government to protect those rights, then you are a progressive statist.

who is asking the government to protect those rights --LOL

the Constitution was established to protect us "the people" from the government

Nope.

If I believe Human Rights to be inherent that separates me from the Modern Progressive.

:lol: Statist progressive righties believe abortion generally is a denial of human rights and thus Big Government must step in to protect those rights.

Nope. If I believe Human Rights to be inherent that separates me from the Modern Progressive.
So you are a religious statist progressive as opposed to a secular statist progressive. That's fine. You know what you are.

:lol: Statist progressive righties believe abortion generally is a denial of human rights and thus Big Government must step in to protect those rights.

No, Pro-life people believe that unborn babies are people, and thus deserving of the same protections as other citizens.

Just because you don't share that view, does not mean that you get to judge them based on your view of the situation.

Nope. If I believe Human Rights to be inherent that separates me from the Modern Progressive.
So you are a religious statist progressive as opposed to a secular statist progressive. That's fine. You know what you are.

NOthing in my statement referred to religion.

No, Pro-life people believe that unborn babies are people, and thus deserving of the same protections as other citizens. Just because you don't share that view, does not mean that you get to judge them based on your view of the situation.
Yes, you are statist progressive, whether motivated by secular or religious reasons. I get to judge just as much as you on the issue. As a matter of fact, I believe I am more restrictive than you in what I think is the limits for abortion: 12 weeks and after only for life of the mother, and that and only rape and incest before.

no one is asking the government to protect that

your thinking as a lefty is showing through once again

no one is asking the government to protect that your thinking as a lefty is showing through once again
Your language as a righty outs you.

Progressivism is neutral in political philosophy, using politics to make changes governmentally, economically, socially or culturally.

No, Pro-life people believe that unborn babies are people, and thus deserving of the same protections as other citizens. Just because you don't share that view, does not mean that you get to judge them based on your view of the situation.
Yes, you are statist progressive, whether motivated by secular or religious reasons. I get to judge just as much as you on the issue. As a matter of fact, I believe I am more restrictive than you in what I think is the limits for abortion: 12 weeks and after only for life of the mother, and that and only rape and incest before.

SUre you can judge me and others.

But it is dishonest to judge them by your moral framework.

If they believe that the unborn child is a person, then extending legal protections, such as not being murdered on a whim is not an new extension of government but addressing a previously unprotected class of citizen.

On the other hand, if they believed that such people are NOT people, but just want to interfere in normal personal medical decisions of women, that would be supporting a intrusive government.

As we cannot know objectively when a person becomes a person, it is a subjective call.

Judging them as though your view is an objective truth is not honest.

Forum List

Back