Allergies revisited

Hey my sister is doing the caveman diet, aka the Paleodiet.

It's essentially low carb. Meat and high fiber veggies, a few whole grains thrown in, but not many.

I'm trying to jump start right now, I've been eating gallo salami and cheese all day, it's the only way I can make it through the first day of low carb.

I read up about it last night and it makes sense to me. I think I can try just about anything now that I'm in remission. RA doesn't like sugar. Or gluten. I'll see what else I can eat and be my own guinea pig. :)

Cavemen didn't eat cheese....but now you got me wanting some. So....gonna go get some shaved turkey and roll some cheese up in it! YUM!

I know my psoriasis flare ups subsided the few weeks I was doing low carb, I'm sure for the same reason...no gluten, no sugar, no refined anything. I felt wonderful and lost weight.

But when I crash on carbs, it's like a flipping black hole....I have a hard time climbing back out. When we had dinner of macaroni and cheese followed by carrot cake the other night, I knew it was time to re-evaluate the diet situation, lol.

The kids had been eating veggies all day, so I didn't feel bad about that...but it was my primary meal!

Plus my son gets addicted to carbs in a very, very bad way. I'm putting the breaks to that. I honestly think it ties in to true addictions...alcohol acts on the system the same way that sugar does, and when I see kids who crave sugar/high carb stuff all the time, I get nervous. Especially if, like my son, they can go on a binge and literally crash...this happened last Halloween, when I let them eat candy for 2 days (I know, bad, but it was an *event*. Halloween was a big deal last year, we had a blast and I essentially just let them go). At the end of the third day (Sunday..halloween was on Friday, I think...maybe Saturday) he literally crashed, slept for a ridiculously long time, and when he woke up he LOOKED hung over. He's 7 years old! His face was puffy, he was groggy...that's when I started really thinking about our diets.

It's summer and I get lazy cuz they spend all day at the sitter's, and typically she has stuff that's good for them...this time of year, lots of veggies, she makes fairly high protein breakfasts (mostly). But I get really lazy on the weekends. He's addicted to PB & J right now, I had to literally cut him off yesterday, lol...I made a fairly high carb dinner (still, lower carb than what he would have chosen) of potatoes and hamburger gravy...I can't remember which kid gave up his/her food to the dog...but when we're in this mode, my son has to get really REALLY hungry before he'll eat healthy food. That usually means skipping a dinner, and sometimes breakfast the next day, before he's ready to eat something like meat and zucchini (well never zucchini for him...meat and carrots, say..or meat and spinach. Or eggs.)

So that's where we're at right now. I don't think he really ate dinner last night. Tonight it's meat and probably spinach..he likes spinach.

btw.....Doritos Cool Ranch .....GLUTEN FREE.

Oh man, that's just so wrong!

Hard liquor is also gluten free, lol. Though refined sugar acts on one's body almost the same as alcohol, oddly, hard alcohol is carb free. Go figure. But it will trigger carb cravings.

Found that out the hard way.

Cavemen didn't eat cheese....but now you got me wanting some. So....gonna go get some shaved turkey and roll some cheese up in it! YUM!

They didn't eat genoa either...but for me to slip back into the low carb thing, I have to have a day of insane high fat foods.

Tomorrow I'll be able to cut back on the cheese, and I'll pitch the salami.

I have my snack of 15 cool ranch chips every night. Love 'em!

Have you ever stirred a bit of honey in peanut butter? Then dip apple pieces in it? That's my desert for tonight. :)

I LOVE peanut butter and honey. I was raised on it, I like it just plain.

When I'm dieting, I have to get PB out of the house. I get up in the middle of the night and eat it...and if I have honey, I do that as well.

I adopted a dog who had a horrible skin condition. It had been so bad that one of her ears split. When I got her it was better, but she still itched and scratched all the time and I had to put Coritsone 10 on her itchy places.

Within a few months, she quit itching. Her condition is simply gone. I feed my dogs Canine Caviar brand food, the adult lamb and pearl millet. The food has all human-grade ingredients in it. I'm sure that's why her skin cleared up completely, the caliber of that food.

I also feed a homemade food as a dinner treat. I make up batches of it and freeze it. It contains brown rice, no-salt canned green beans, boiled hamburger, scrambled egg and cottage cheese. I also add an ounce or two of diced cooked chicken breast when I feed them. Oh, and at serving time I also stir in some of the defatted juice the hamburger was boiled in. I also freeze that in containers.

Anyway, it was pretty cool the way this little dog's skin cleared up.

Forum List

Back