All you well seasoned travellers

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
Mexico or the Dominican Republic in August?

It's holiday booking time and the Euro makes Europe more expensive than these far flung destinations but I don't know which one to choose.Help me.:cool:

I have resorts in mind, I am looking for reasons one way or the other, people, sights, weather etc.

:lol: You lot don't get out much do you?:lol:

Nobody been anywhere?:lol::lol::lol:

If you are making me choose between Mexico and the Dominican Republic, then I'm going with Mexico. The Dominican Republic shares and island with Haiti they just had a big ass earthquake, in case you missed it.

:lol: You lot don't get out much do you?:lol:

Nobody been anywhere?:lol::lol::lol:

You limited the places. I'd say got to Bali or Phuket. But that's not in the DR or Mexico.

There are direct flights to Mexico and the DR from my local airport and they are within my budget and they both look beautiful.Someone told me tourists might not be safe in Mexico at the moment, any truth in this?

I am looking at those all inclusive resorts but they reckon they get full of loud, obnoxious, drunken Americans.This could be the deal maker/breaker.

I like Tabago. It's a cool island - I know it's not Mexico or the DR but..... They have this thing called 'Sunday School' which is like this massive party on Sunday nights! The locals are incredibly friendly, its a stunningly beautiful place and a great beach vacation place. There's a spectacular rainforest and shit. Very cool.

mexico has a lot of problems...avoid the border towns....i would still go to canada ....nice there that time of year...too hot in the other places...belize is the best place to go

Mexico or the Dominican Republic in August?

It's holiday booking time and the Euro makes Europe more expensive than these far flung destinations but I don't know which one to choose.Help me.:cool:

the dominican republic is just the other side of the Island from Haiti, who just had that huge earthquake catastrophe.....it is on the same fault line! :eek:

The dominican Republic is a poorer region than the yucatan peninsula in Mexico....both are poor.

august is the hottest darn month of the year in the carribean and in Mexico....but my guess is the dominican republic might be slightly cooler because it is on an island.

If you are going to one of either country's all inclusive resorts, and stay on the all inclusive resort for the vacation and don't get out much beyond that, you should have a fabulous time at either place.

Be prepared for both countries to not really understand what Air conditioning should be...it will never be super cool in the AC areas.

Mexico probably has areas with longer beaches where several hotels share...the DR will have smaller cove beaches with watersports like snorkling, paddle boats etc....

Care

Oh! it is hurricane season in august...maybe mexico would be better because at least you can move inland if a hurricane comes but the dominicaqn republic, you could be stuck on the island.

I am veering toward Mexico but, meh, I still can't really make my mind up, I am studying up on it but was hoping some here had first hand experience?Riviera Maya is top of the list, alongside Punta Cana in the DR.

I have resorts in mind, I am looking for reasons one way or the other, people, sights, weather etc.

I'll be here in 4 days... :eusa_whistle: They conveniently stick the bar right in the pool, so all you really need is some sunblock, and a swimsuit.

Barcelo_MayaBeach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll be here in 4 days... :eusa_whistle: They conveniently stick the bar right in the pool, so all you really need is some sunblock, and a swimsuit.

Barcelo_MayaBeach.jpg

The Barcelo EH?How long for? We have to have jabs from the Doctors at least 6 weeks before we go to either Mexico or the DR, do you have to have the same?You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back.Will you have strap lines?:eusa_angel:

Back end of July for me 28th infact.So close yet so far away, you could have given me a rubdown.

my answer to you is Jamaica....just go to jamaica.....i just got back...it was wonderful. Everyone speaks english, the coves and water is beautiful, the resorts are first class....

my answer to you is Jamaica....just go to jamaica.....i just got back...it was wonderful. Everyone speaks english, the coves and water is beautiful, the resorts are first class....

We have Yardies from Jamaica here in England and they boil my piss.Anyhoo, I believe waving a dollar or two at the Mexicans has them jumping through hoops for you without having to learn Spanish.:lol:

Barcelo_MayaBeach.jpg

The Barcelo EH?How long for? We have to have jabs from the Doctors at least 6 weeks before we go to either Mexico or the DR, do you have to have the same?You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back.Will you have strap lines?:eusa_angel:

Back end of July for me 28th infact.So close yet so far away, you could have given me a rubdown.

No, okay, no, and isn't that someone elses job? :lol:

We have Yardies from Jamaica here in England and they boil my piss.Anyhoo, I believe waving a dollar or two at the Mexicans has them jumping through hoops for you without having to learn Spanish.:lol:

FUNNY story about mexico....we were there on one of our anniversary vacations...late april...at an all inclusive hotel....we could NOT get the AC to work and cool our room so we were very uncomfortale...I had called the front desk, the hotel manager, maintenence...you name it to try to get one of those slow as molasses workers to fix our air conditioning....nothing....they came in and played around with it....still nothing and our anniversary was the following night....

So my hubby, finds the head of maintenence and brings him to our room....by this time water is pooring on the floor from the unit sweating or a leak or something?

I had already gone down to the pool.

and matt saqid he told the guy, with one eyebrow raised, that it was our anniversay, and HOW was he suppose to have a "good time" (wink wink) with his wife under THESE conditions?

hahahahahaha! THAT'S ALL it took! The head of Maintenence called the front desk, said a bunch of things in spanish and the next thing matt knew was they were giving him keys to an upgraded room on the top floor of the VIP tower! ( I had been trying for days to get the AC fixed...or the room changed, nada!) but imply to a mexicaqn man that you are not going to be able to get some nooky on your anniversaqry, and the dude was all over it....getting us a penthouse, for free! :lol:

sheesh! Latino men!!!!

Forum List

Back