All-time Mt. Rushmore of NFL QB's

fce73df2cdfa5ee7c4a765ebb370e82e

I'm going to cheat and do two lists because I think the game has really become so different because of the rules it's impossible to correlate one era with another.

Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana & Otto Graham are going on my list for playing quarterback under the "old" football rules when it was still legal to hit a quarterback.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers would go on my list for playing under the current rules where quarterbacks should wear a skirt they are so protected. I'm only doing those three and I'll keep a spot open on the modern Mt. Rushmore for the next big thing. Could be Andrew Luck...

Andrew Luck is a mirage. He is a promise unfulfilled. He put up 7 points in the most important game of his career.

After tomorrow he will be two Lombardi's behind Wilson.

I'm going to cheat and do two lists because I think the game has really become so different because of the rules it's impossible to correlate one era with another.

Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana & Otto Graham are going on my list for playing quarterback under the "old" football rules when it was still legal to hit a quarterback.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers would go on my list for playing under the current rules where quarterbacks should wear a skirt they are so protected. I'm only doing those three and I'll keep a spot open on the modern Mt. Rushmore for the next big thing. Could be Andrew Luck...

Andrew Luck is a mirage. He is a promise unfulfilled. He put up 7 points in the most important game of his career.

Luck is by far the most talented player on the team, Wilson is surrounded by talent, tough to compare the two as far as that goes.

If Luck was on the Hawks, the Hawks would still be contenders for the Super Bowl, if Wilson was in Indianapolis, they'd be struggling, just as they are today.

Man what a tough question. I mean there are the obvious ones from the modern era but there are guys from years gone by as well that shouldn't be overlooked. Let me toss out a list of my nominees: Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw,Y.A. Tittle, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Bart Starr, Sid Luckman, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Jim Kelly, and Dan Fouts. That's some elite company to pick four from and all could make an argument.

Give me Marino as perhaps the best pure passer in NFL history.

I will take Unitas (3 NFL championships and a Super Bowl ring, 40,000+ yards passing in a rushing era and ridiculously clutch performances under pressure)

Elway has to make my mountain as one of the few players that could win games completely on his own (although it took Terrell Davis to finally get him some rings)

And Montana (although it was tough between him and Staubach) for obvious reasons

Modern list based on Super Bowl wins. Bradshaw and Montana at 100 percent winning percentage.

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

List for what they did for the game.

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

Modern list based on Super Bowl wins. Bradshaw and Montana at 100 percent winning percentage.

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

I understand your reasoning. I personally wouldn't put Bradshaw up there simply because he had a fantastic team around him in the pre-free agency era. If the NFL today didn't have free agency Brady would probably have 5 rings and Aikman perhaps just as many. Just for me rings are important but it's not the QBs fault if the team doesn't give him tools to work with hence the reason why I put Marino on my list above those who won titles. Just my opinion

Luck is by far the most talented player on the team, Wilson is surrounded by talent, tough to compare the two as far as that goes.

If Luck was on the Hawks, the Hawks would still be contenders for the Super Bowl, if Wilson was in Indianapolis, they'd be struggling, just as they are today.

I have grown a little tired of the Luck/Wilson debate. To me it's Ford or Chevy. Luck is probably a better pure passer (but probably not by as much as people think) and Wilson is probably a more versatile player as far as scrambling and rushing (although again probably not by as much as people think). I am happy with Wilson and wouldn't trade him for Luck and I imagine Colts fans feel similarly about their quarterback. To me it's a discussion that is probably too early to have

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

I understand your reasoning. I personally wouldn't put Bradshaw up there simply because he had a fantastic team around him in the pre-free agency era. If the NFL today didn't have free agency Brady would probably have 5 rings and Aikman perhaps just as many. Just for me rings are important but it's not the QBs fault if the team doesn't give him tools to work with hence the reason why I put Marino on my list above those who won titles. Just my opinion

Bradshaw was a winner with a 111 passing record in the playoffs. All the winning quarterbacks had fantastic team surrounding them. Take Rothlisburg for example. He won a Super Bowl in his rookie season by carrying the team to the SB. His performance in the SB was pretty damn bad but the rest of the team stepped up.

Bradshaw always did what was needed to win.

BTW, Marino was quarterback in the same era and never won a SB.

I have grown a little tired of the Luck/Wilson debate. To me it's Ford or Chevy. Luck is probably a better pure passer (but probably not by as much as people think) and Wilson is probably a more versatile player as far as scrambling and rushing (although again probably not by as much as people think). I am happy with Wilson and wouldn't trade him for Luck and I imagine Colts fans feel similarly about their quarterback. To me it's a discussion that is probably too early to have

Pittsburgh's defense shut down luck and the offense scored 6 touchdowns against them, they did not deserve to be in the playoffs.

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

Bradshaw was a winner with a 111 passing record in the playoffs. All the winning quarterbacks had fantastic team surrounding them. Take Rothlisburg for example. He won a Super Bowl in his rookie season by carrying the team to the SB. His performance in the SB was pretty damn bad but the rest of the team stepped up.

Roethlisberger won in his second year, not his rookie season. I don't believe there has ever been a QB who won the Super Bowl as a starter in his rookie season. Regardless, I am not taking away from what Bradshaw did. He is a HOF quarterback and deserves to be.

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

Roethlisberger won in his second year, not his rookie season. I don't believe there has ever been a QB who won the Super Bowl as a starter in his rookie season. Regardless, I am not taking away from what Bradshaw did. He is a HOF quarterback and deserves to be.

I stand corrected.

Terry Bradshaw 4
Joe Montana 4
Troy Aikman 3
Tom Brady 3

Johnny Unitas
YA Tittle
Joe Montana
Joe Namath

I stand corrected.

No worries. Here's another point though to consider. Marino never won a title and neither did Elway until Denver got the ultimate diamond in the rough in Terrell Davis. To some degree those two players kind of hurt the team's development because year after year they took teams that had the talent to win 4-5 games and instead won 8-9 simply because of their God given talent and abilities. That completely blew their draft position year after year and without free agency it made it much more difficult to find good players to put around them.

Of course that's not the only reason...other teams were able to, but it sure didn't help.

Hugs brought it up, I think they are two good QBs and time will tell.

Yeah....I think the one thing everyone can probably agree upon is that RGIII is no longer in the conversation. :lol:

If we're talking about pre-SB era as well, I don't see how Otto Graham can not be on the list. The man went to the championship game in every single year he played professional sports, which included a year playing basketball and winning an NBL championship, then 4 years in the AAFL with 4 championship wins, then 6 years in the NFL with 3 championship losses and 3 wins. Going to 10 straight championship games and winning 7 as a pro is damned impressive.

I usually prefer sticking to the SB era though. I'll go with Montana followed by Brady as my 1 and 2. After that it's a bit more muddled.

Yeah....I think the one thing everyone can probably agree upon is that RGIII is no longer in the conversation. :lol:

RG Who?

At the moment, but hey, there have been plenty of QBs who weren't great until later in their life/career. RGIII could still turn it around and find greatness! :lmao:

Forum List

Back