All time best Saturday Night Live cast

All time best Saturday Night Live cast?

• Original cast 75-80 (John Belushi,Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase)

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • 80-85 (Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Julia Louise Dreyfus)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 85-90 (Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Dennis Miller)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 90-95 (Chris Rock, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 95-00 (Will Ferell, Norm McDonald, Molly Shannon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 00-05 (Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler)

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Who was the best cast based on their work on SNL as well as later work? Cast based on when they first appeared

Original cast (1975-1980): Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Bill Murray

1980-1985: Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Julia Louise Dreyfus, Mary Gross, Tim Kazurinsky

1985-1990: Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, John Lovitz, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon

1990-1995: Chris Rock, Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers, Julia Sweeney

1995-2000: Will Ferrell, Norm McDonald, Tim Meadows, Molly Shannon, Darrel Hammond, Tracy Morgan

2000-2005: Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers

Last edited:
Who was the best cast based on their work on SNL as well as later work? Cast based on when they first appeared

Original cast (1975-1980): Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Bill Murray

1980-1985: Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Julia Louise Dreyfus, Mary Gross, Tim Kazurinsky

1990-1995: Chris Rock, Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers, Julia Sweeney

1995-2000: Will Ferrell, Norm McDonald, Tim Meadows, Molly Shannon, Darrel Hammond, Tracy Morgan

Saturday Night Live has always been shit.

They were funny MANY moons ago. Today eh not so much.

My favorite, the Church lady. cracked me up

The Original was the best followed closely by Will Ferrell then Dana Carvey, the other line ups were just totally unwatchable and not remotely funny

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
The original cast was by far the best.

The current crop is the worst. Although there are some standouts: Keenan Thompson, Bobby Moynihan, Kate McKinnon, and Cecily Strong.

But any performer is only as good as the writing and the writing of late is pretty lame.

Now, SCTV with Harold Ramis, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, John Candy, Dave Thomas, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin and Rick Moranis.

That's the gold standard

My favs
Original cast then the following
Dennis Miller
Dana Carvey
Mike Myers
Chris Farley
Kevin Nealon
Kirstin Whig
Martin Short
Molly Shannon
Horatio Sandz
Amy Pholer
Norm macsDonald
Jimmy Fallon
Jon Lovitz
Ana Gastereyer
Rachel Dratch

Original cast. Gildna Radner and Jane Curtin were fantabulous.

Back in the 70s, SNL and Monty Python were shown back to back - hysterically funny and very original. I never missed it.

Though I don't always watch them, Fallon, Fey, Poehler, etc are also very funny.

Rosanne RosanaDana and Emily Litella - absolutely brilliant characters. Jane Curtain "bitch" - delicious.

Another favorite from that time, Madeline Kahn.

Radner and Kahn died way too soon.

A little known video of Kahn's very early days - It still cracks me up.

I'm torn.

Hartman and Farley (God rest their souls) were my two all-time faves, so I had to vote for the 90-95 option because they were both there at different times during that time period.

The show sucks so badly today that I can't even bring myself to DVR it anymore.

It needs new writers — terribly.

I'm torn.

Hartman and Farley (God rest their souls) were my two all-time faves, so I had to vote for the 90-95 option because they were both there at different times during that time period.

The show sucks so badly today that I can't even bring myself to DVR it anymore.

It needs new writers — terribly.
Hartman was extremely versatile playing whatever role was called for. May have been their most talented skit player ever

Rosanne RosanaDana and Emily Litella - absolutely brilliant characters. Jane Curtain "bitch" - delicious.

Another favorite from that time, Madeline Kahn.

Radner and Kahn died way too soon.

A little known video of Kahn's very early days - It still cracks me up.

I have never seen that before. Thanks! I liked Madeline Kahn.

I have read in the recent past how difficult it is for women comedians but there were some really talented women out there. There were some fantastic writers.

So, what the hell happened?

I think people forget what an event SNL was every week when Eddie Murphy was on. Maybe it wasnt the best cast but he was a one man show. He was brilliant. I don't think even will Farrell was as good and he was great too. Or people who are too young and didn't see Eddie on SNL don't know what they missed. The closest comparison would be the Dave chappelle show. And ironically eddies brother charlie was a part of.

I don't even like the original cast.

What do you think about the new cast. I don't like the fat white girl. Fats only funny on guys.

What do you think about the new cast. I don't like the fat white girl. Fats only funny on guys.
Haven't really watched it

Melissa McCarthy is pretty funny. So was Roseann Barr

Forum List

Back