All this presumption that the CO shooter is mentally ill.

A soldier that kills twelve people might be considered a hero or a murderer; depends on one's moral definitions.

'Mentally ill' is a majority judgment and totally relative outside a physical, demonstrable brain defect. Our standard is what makes something mentally ill or not. Some people consider being 'left' or 'right' sick.

I think a great number of people would assume walking into a movie and mowing down innocent attendees qualifies as 'nuts'.

Unless it is done in the movie that you are watching, then it is entertainment.
People pay hundreds of millions for that.

True. Essentially glorifying violence does make condemning it seem somewhat hypocritical.

And stop torturing that poor little kitty with the fake nose and glasses, you pinko commie fascist right wing nut!

Last edited:
A soldier that kills twelve people might be considered a hero or a murderer; depends on one's moral definitions.

'Mentally ill' is a majority judgment and totally relative outside a physical, demonstrable brain defect. Our standard is what makes something mentally ill or not. Some people consider being 'left' or 'right' sick.

I think a great number of people would assume walking into a movie and mowing down innocent attendees qualifies as 'nuts'.

True. Essentially glorifying violence does make condemning it seem somewhat hypocritical.

And stop torturing that poor little kitty with the fake nose and glasses, you pinko commie fascist right wing nut!

that is actually me, but I do not want to be recognized as being from Beta Triangula.

For me...i really don't care if they are sane or not.. mentally ill or not... the punishment should fit the crime.

This guy.... im up for the death penalty :thup:

That is my point, if one commits murder they are insane in my book.

Why? Murder isn't automatically insane. If I decide to kill my husband because I want to cash in on his life insurance policy, am I insane, or am I just evil?

Seems to me that it's a completely sane, logical choice to make, if one is starting from the amoral position that selfish personal desires take more precedent than other people's lives.

Yeeeah, cuz starting from an amoral position that personal desires take precedent over people's lives, isn't INSANE.........? :cuckoo:

No sane person could do something so horrible...

Personally, I hate it that people can use the insanity plea in murder trials. I feel if you commit murder who are mentally ill.

For me...i really don't care if they are sane or not.. mentally ill or not... the punishment should fit the crime.

This guy.... im up for the death penalty :thup:

That is my point, if one commits murder they are insane in my book.

Perhaps he was 'Just An Excitable Boy'.

I believe that someone who dyes his hair red and goes into a movie theatre, shoots strangers, then tells the cops he is the joker is suffering from mental illness.

I do not think that should influence the punishment in any way. Lay the bastard down and shoot him up, its best for the rest of us.

I believe that someone who dyes his hair red and goes into a movie theatre, shoots strangers, then tells the cops he is the joker is suffering from mental illness.

I do not think that should influence the punishment in any way. Lay the bastard down and shoot him up, its best for the rest of us.

guillotine_sm.gif

There is an interesting aspect to the case. It seems the shooter has no criminal record just like the perpetrator of the worst mass shooting in history at Va. Tech. We know by now that the Va. Tech shooter should have been arrested on numerous occasions for stalking women on campus and making threats but he was given favorable treatment by the local P.D. and the inept campus security because he was a student and the university did not want any adverse publicity. The Va Tech shooter was able to "legally" purchase weapons because he had no criminal record and through a glitch in the system that did not allow the Police to know about his psychiatric history. I'm not going to pass judgement yet about the theater shooter's history but i'm guessing his deteriorating mental condition was brushed aside for years.

That's the world we have created for ourselves and excepted... It's perfectly normal for one to immerse themselves in
sadistic movies and video games, but society is utterly dumbfounded when some sicko actually crosses the line and role plays the acts depicted in the movies or video games he has been subjected to since birth.
It's become so "normal" that parents take their toddlers to the movies to watch death and violence, then are at a loss to explain little Johnny's anti social behavior and problems at school.
These acts as despicable as they may be, are a mirror of our world and society.

It'd be interesting to see how the world would be, if society was immersed in entertainment from cradle to grave, of acts of kindness and generosity and portrayed as the norm instead of all the death and sadism we "entertain" ourselves with.

Death-Obsessed Culture, Not Gun Rights, To Blame For ‘Batman’ Shooting.

2nd Amendment Under Attack: Rise of the Gun Ban - 12160

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Homicide Trends in the United States, 1980-2008

I'm no psychiatrist, but methinks there were red flags along the way. His mother's first response: "You have the right guy".

There are always red flags. No one snaps over night and decides to commit mass murder. Is he insane? Of course. Can the insane be evil? Of course.

As syrenn said, the punishment must fit the crime. We have no obligation to "rehabilitate" or "treat" mass murderers. We punish them, just like the sane ones.

There is no such thing as an ‘insanity defense,’ if one lacks the required mental component to be subject to prosecution, his freedom or life is not in jeopardy:

MENS REA

Criminal intent. The state of mind indicating culpability which is required by statute as an element of a crime. See, e.g. Staples v. United States, 511 US 600 (1994). However, for strict liability crimes, state of mind as to at least one element of the crime is irrelevant.

(menz-ray-ah) The mental component of criminal liability. To be guilty of most crimes, a defendant must have committed the criminal act in a certain mental state (the mens rea). The mens rea of robbery, for example, is the intent to permanently deprive the owner of his property.

Mens rea | LII / Legal Information Institute

Consequently the heinous, barbaric, or bizarre nature of the crime is irrelevant. If the suspect’s intent was to kill people, then he’s subject to criminal prosecution, regardless the number of people killed, the venue, or the process used.

Is a contract assassin who does 25 hits over 18 years mentally ill?

He may be, but he’d still be subject to criminal prosecution if the intent of his crime were to murder for money.

Yes, but the great number of people out there rarely or never engage in any kind of serious, logical thinking about anything. In this case, such vague, emotion-driven thinking does a grave disservice both to society in general and to people who truly are mentally ill in specific.

I find it truly alarming how often "I feel this is the way things are" is accepted as good enough these days.

Probably the best thing to do.

You need more information to decide whether or not someone who killed 12 people is mentally ill?

IMO, he isn't mentally ill, because I don't believe that someone could so calmly kill those people and not be of sound mind. It sounds, so far, that he planned this.

But its only very early days, so lets see. Whatever the case, he is never getting out of prison.

Yah think????

Forum List

Back