All Thirty Three

With all the bad news in the world, it's always nice to hear stories like these.

This is an excellent commentary:

The leadership of Chile President Sebastian Pinera, believing fiercely in globalization and free markets, and not believing in limits, seemed to make a critical difference.

Pinera refused to shut out foreign expertise. As the world focused on Chile's miners underground, the rescue operation above was characterized by an Apollo 13-like sense of mission. Failure was not an option.

That gave the mission an international flavor a la "Star Trek." Unlike President Obama, who invoked the Jones Act to spurn foreign offers of help in April's Gulf oil spill, or Russia's Vladimir Putin, who said "nyet" to American naval rescue ships after the Kursk nuclear sub sank in Arctic waters in 2000, leaving 29 to die at a depth of 650 feet, Pinera brought in the best brains outside his country to improve the odds of success.

Among companies responding was Schramm Inc., the Pennsylvania-based manufacturer of drilling rigs, which produced the drills that first reached the miners and then carved out their rescue path, with UPS shipping a 13-ton product from the Keystone State in just two days.

Another Pennsylvania company, Center Rock, provided the drill bit. Texas' Techint came up with steel tubes that made the shaft safe. Geotec Broyles Bros.' American engineers operated the drill, and Maryland-based Zephyr Technology provided the medical monitors during the rescue.

Argentine, Canadian and Australian companies also had roles, as did NASA. The result was a showcase of mostly American engineering that didn't take any credit away from Chile.

Pinera also grasped the importance of just being on hand and transparent. The Chileans communicated clearly with both the miners and the outside world about what was happening. One of the first three holes drilled by rescuers was for communication.

Pinera spent a lot of time at the remote desert site. He was there when the incredible discovery of life was made, and he assured the miners the long wait for their rescue was strictly geological and logistical — not bureaucratic. He gave everyone hope by being engaged and involved.

Chile's Humanitarian Triumph - IBD - Investors.com

I'm an agnostic but I was touched when one of the miner's said "there were 34 of us down there, God was with us always."

I think someone mentioned that this is the first time anyone has been down there that long and come out alive. I cannot help but think it was because they were in a copper mine instead of a coal mine.

• Thanks
Reactions: Cal
All right, it's nice to see something like this turn out well for once. Most mine collapses don't turn out that great for the miners.

It's a joy to see a real world leader who loves his country and doesn't put his own pettty politics over the wellbeing of his citizens.

Go start your own thread demonizing Obama on his response to emergencies. This is a bi-partisan celebration for 33 miners who were trapped underground for 69 days. Sorry you can't leave politics aside for fucking 3 minutes to celebrate.

Last edited:
It will be helpful to look at this rescue and figure out exactly what went right and why. What did the mine do from day one of opening the mine to today?

Forum List

Back