All Teachers Fired at Underperforming School in Rhode Island

&

☭proletarian☭

CENTRAL FALLS, Rhode Island — The blue-and-white banner exclaiming "anticipation" on the front of Central Falls High School seems like a cruel joke for an institution so chronically troubled that its leaders decided to fire every teacher by year's end.
No more than half those instructors would be hired back under a federal option that has enraged the state's powerful teachers union, earned criticism from students, and praise from U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and some parents.

All Teachers Fired at Underperforming School in Rhode Island - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

My state sure is popular on here for once.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi1bwGtJvAw&feature=related]YouTube - The Road To Rhode Island[/ame]

Kudos to the Board.

Fire 'em all!

Hire 'em back one at a time as they prove themselves worthy of the job description...;teach our children what ever it is your were hired to teach...or get out of our way! Teaching should be performance based, not union protected, The teacher's union does more damage to our educational system than any other source.

I think they need to fire the parents

rightwinger wins the stupidest quote of the day award!

Now during high unemployment times is the best time to fire or shake-up all the teachers, because there is a larger pool of unemployed talented teachers to select from. The school has the best chance now to find just the right teachers. Way to go!

In the end....none will end up getting fired

Now during high unemployment times is the best time to fire or shake-up all the teachers, because there is a larger pool of unemployed talented teachers to select from. The school has the best chance now to find just the right teachers. Way to go!

If the scores are historically horrible, then the parents are assholes who don't care about education and instead use the school system as a day care for kids 5 to 18. Good education principles begin with parents at home who name names, ground kids, reward kids, and push kids to excel in school.

Many of my family are school teachers and college professors, and almost every last one of them supports the firing of the teachers because they will not work with the supe and the board in trying to change the culture of failure there.

But I will tell you this: if the parents don't support education, nothing is going to work for the great majority of the kids.

A weird thing about Union:
A while ago, most German workers bought the idea that Unions in Germany are too powerfull, and wages/benefits too high.
We really cut down on both for a while.
Not a single Job got safer.
We now have the cheapest labor costs of western Europe, and the corporation want even "less wages".
Amazingly enough, America, which has quite pitifull labor protections compared to Germany, and relativly weak Unions, seems have the same chorus.
I bet, if Unions dissappear tomorow, a grand total of 0 additional jobs will be created.

If the scores are historically horrible, then the parents are assholes who don't care about education and instead use the school system as a day care for kids 5 to 18. Good education principles begin with parents at home who name names, ground kids, reward kids, and push kids to excel in school.

Many of my family are school teachers and college professors, and almost every last one of them supports the firing of the teachers because they will not work with the supe and the board in trying to change the culture of failure there.

But I will tell you this: if the parents don't support education, nothing is going to work for the great majority of the kids.

I agree with your family that says those teachers should be fired and why they said so. I also agree that if kids are neglected it's near impossible to teach them. Near though, is NOT impossible.

☭proletarian☭;2040959 said:
CENTRAL FALLS, Rhode Island — The blue-and-white banner exclaiming "anticipation" on the front of Central Falls High School seems like a cruel joke for an institution so chronically troubled that its leaders decided to fire every teacher by year's end.
No more than half those instructors would be hired back under a federal option that has enraged the state's powerful teachers union, earned criticism from students, and praise from U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and some parents.

All Teachers Fired at Underperforming School in Rhode Island - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

What's the National Average for Teachers being Terminated?...

What Percentage, as Compared with the Termination Rate outside of Teaching... And other Gubmn't Jobs, of course. ;)

:)

peace...

No one ever talks about that, do they? Teachers has the kids how long? 45-50 min a day, 5 days a week, for 180 days. They cannot force the kids to learn. They cannot force them to care, they cannot even keep them for remediation if the parents don't approve it. They cannot retain them if the parents don't approve it.

Of course it's the teachers' fault.

And I'm sure every single one of those teachers is rotten to the core.

What are they going to do after this if the test scores don't improve?

The lowest performing school in my daughter's district is in the middle of the lowest income area...it has the smallest area on the map, but the same # of students because it is surrounded by high density cheap apartments. Statistically, 70-80% of the parents are illiterate...in either English or Spanish. And yet the school and its teachers are at fault. Do you think teachers want to teach there knowing that if they are held personally responsible for test scores, they will get shit canned?

No one ever talks about that, do they? Teachers has the kids how long? 45-50 min a day, 5 days a week, for 180 days. They cannot force the kids to learn. They cannot force them to care, they cannot even keep them for remediation if the parents don't approve it. They cannot retain them if the parents don't approve it.

Of course it's the teachers' fault.

And I'm sure every single one of those teachers is rotten to the core.

A common denominator for underperforming schools is underperforming parents. Doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, how many teachers you replace, how long the school day is.
If the kid does not want to learn, he will not. If the parents don't give a damn, the kid will not give a damn

What are they going to do after this if the test scores don't improve?
do you always leap with a blind fold on?

While I agree that it is tantamount that parents are involved with their childrens education, that is an interesting tune to be singing.

When Parents scream that schools have no right to be teaching morals and gay equality they get a face full of, "We are the educators, we know what is best for you kids".

A little hypocrisy going on here?

In New Jersey, we have something called Abbott Districts. There was a law suit that required that the poorest districts should have the same level of education as the richest districts (bizarre, but true)
Abbott Districts account for 10% of the schools but get 60% of the state funding. They receive about $24,000 a year per student compared to an average of $13,000 statewide.
The result is what you would expect.....no improvement in student scores in 20 years

In New Jersey, we have something called Abbott Districts. There was a law suit that required that the poorest districts should have the same level of education as the richest districts (bizarre, but true)
Abbott Districts account for 10% of the schools but get 60% of the state funding. They receive about $24,000 a year per student compared to an average of $13,000 statewide.
The result is what you would expect.....no improvement in student scores in 20 years
That is is because money isn't always the answer.

Forum List

Back