All roads lead to Berlusconi’s Rome. For now.

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
The euro zone’s future hangs on Italy – and Italy’s future hangs on its politics. The best way forward would be a grand coalition replacing Silvio Berlusconi’s discredited government. But after the prime minister’s Houdini act last week, that doesn’t seem likely and other scenarios aren’t as attractive.

Until recently, investors didn’t pay too much attention to the multi-dimensional chess game that is Italian politics. The state may have nearly 2 trillion euros of debt, equal to 120 percent of GDP, but the country is rich: Net household wealth was 8.6 trillion euros in 2009, according to the Bank of Italy. The deal-making and back-stabbing in Rome – or for that matter, Berlusconi’s bunga-bunga sex parties – didn’t seem to matter. True, the country has virtually stopped growing in recent years. But there was even a view that Italy benefited from having politicians that were so concerned with their elaborate games that they couldn’t interfere with the business of business.

All that changed in early July. As the euro crisis gathered pace, scandals and wrangling in Rome unsettled markets. The 10-year bond yield, which had been a relatively comfortable 4.8 percent, shot up to 6 percent in two weeks. Berlusconi and Giulio Tremonti, his previously respected finance minister, fell out. The center-right government, which survives on a wafer-thin majority, was able to pass austerity measures to cut the deficit. But the actions were seen as too little, too late. Investors became hyper-sensitive to Italian politics and were no longer willing to take things on trust.

The rot was only stopped by the European Central Bank wading into the market in August and buying Italian bonds. But even this bought only temporary respite. Despite two European summits last week designed to provide a comprehensive solution to the euro crisis, Italian yields ended the week back at 6 percent. The country is on the edge of a debt spiral as investors’ concerns about the country become self-fulfilling. If borrowing costs rise further, the country’s debts won’t seem sustainable, meaning yields could shoot still higher.

The best way of breaking the vicious spiral would be to have a positive political shock – to counter the negative one delivered over the summer. And the best way of achieving that would be to have a temporary grand coalition led by a technocrat such as Mario Monti, the former European Commissioner. Its mission would be to take harsh actions needed to solve Italy’s two big problems: debt and low growth. Labor markets would be liberalized; the bloated public sector would be cut down to size; and the over-generous pension system would be reformed. It might even be possible to reduce debt to below the psychologically important 100 percent mark by privatizing assets and instituting a one-off property tax.

READ MORE All roads lead to Berlusconi’s Rome. For now. | Hugo Dixon

People have been predicting Berlesconi's political demise for 20 years. He is the Energizer Coniglietto of italian politics. Continua andaree ed andare ed andare

Granny says, "Another one o' dem rich folks dat ain't been payin' dey's fair share o' taxes...
:clap2:
Berlusconi denounces verdict, 'political' judges
Oct 26,`12 -- Ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi has condemned as "unreal" his tax fraud conviction and said it was the result of "politicized" judges who have made Italy unlivable and no longer a democracy.
Berlusconi spoke to his Mediaset television station Friday after a Milan court convicted him of tax fraud concerning the purchase of rights to broadcast U.S. movies on his private TV networks. He was sentenced to four years in prison though he remains free until all appeals are exhausted.

Berlusconi has long denounced what he considers left-leaning magistrates pursuing political cases against him. He said Friday that "if you can't count on impartial judges in a country, the country becomes uncivil, barbarian and unlivable and stops being a democracy. It's sad, but the situation of our country today is that way."

Source

Monti ready to make a comeback...
:clap2:
Monti says he is open to leading next government
Dec 23,`12 -- After keeping Italians, and the rest of Europe, in suspense for weeks, caretaker Premier Mario Monti on Sunday ruled out campaigning in February elections, but said he would consider leading the next government if politicians who share his focus on reform request it.
The decision positions him to take the helm again without having to get into the political nitty-gritty of an election - preserving his image as someone above the fray who can make tough decisions on imposing austerity. His previous measures have boosted confidence in Italy's finances, and fellow European leaders have made no secret they want to keep them in place. Silvio Berlusconi, the scandal-tainted ex-premier considering another run, commented scathingly on Monti's openness to another term. `'I had a nightmare - still having a government with Monti," the media mogul said in an interview on state TV. He has said in the past that he would run again if Monti did not, but made no commitment Sunday about his own political future.

Monti, who after his resignation Friday is continuing in a caretaker role, ruled out heading any ticket - even a center-right grouping that Berlusconi said he would be willing to back. But the 69-year-old economist made it clear he was willing to take another turn in power. "If one or more political forces is credibly backing (my) agenda or even has a better one, I'd evaluate the offer," Monti said during a news conference. "To those forces who demonstrate convincing and credible adherence to the Monti agenda, I am ready to give my appreciation, encouragement, and if requested, leadership, and I am ready to assume, one day, if the circumstances require it, the responsibility that would be entrusted to me by Parliament." Monti refused to head any ticket himself, saying "I have no sympathy for `personal' parties."

Italy is struggling to shore up its finances and emerge from recession, a challenge made harder by its volatile politics. The country has had dozens of governments over the years that let tax evasion spread, avoided unpopular reforms like raising the retirement age, and allowed public spending to balloon. Monti was appointed in November 2011 to head a non-elected government with the goal of saving Italy from a Greece-style debt debacle after financial markets lost faith in his populist predecessor, Berlusconi. Berlusconi triggered Monti's resignation last week, a few months ahead of the term's end, when he yanked his Freedom Party's support in Parliament for the government. Parliament was then sent packing last week by Italy's president, and elections scheduled for Feb. 24-25.

MORE

See also:

Mario Monti 'available to lead Italy'
23 December 2012 - There has been intense speculation about Mario Monti's possible role in elections
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti says he is not siding for now with any party in upcoming elections, but remains available to head a future government. Mr Monti said he was ready to lead any coalition committed to his reforms. The caretaker prime minister said he was unable to accept an offer from former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to lead a centrist coalition. Elections are to be held in February. Mr Monti resigned after Mr Berlusconi's party withdrew its support.

Mr Monti was nominated as technocratic prime minister in November 2011, after Mr Berlusconi's centre-right coalition government fell amidst a financial and economic crisis. Speaking at a news conference in Rome, Mr Monti urged Italian parties not to destroy what he said was his government's achievement in saving Italy from that crisis. "That financial emergency has been overcome," he said. "Italians can once again hold their heads high as citizens of Europe."

Keeping options open

Asked repeatedly if he was going to run in the 24-25 February election, Mr Monti said he cared more about policies than about the personalities involved in the election. "I'm not siding with anyone - I'd like parties and social forces to side with ideas," he said. But he added: "To the forces that show convinced and credible adherence to the Monti agenda, I would be ready to give my advice, my encouragement and if necessary leadership," he said. "I would also be ready to assume one day, if required by circumstances, the responsibilities that would be entrusted to me by the parliament."

The BBC's David Willey says Mr Monti, whose possible role in February's election has been the subject of intense speculation in Italy, is playing his cards close to his chest - whilst keeping his options open. Mr Monti, 69, is an economist and former EU commissioner who first served as a minister under Mr Berlusconi in 1994. His government has been praised for its initial reforms and for calming financial markets, though much of its reform agenda has been watered down or blocked. On Sunday, he appealed to parties to push through further reforms of Italy's labour market and its institutions.

He also criticised Mr Berlusconi for recently attacking the technocratic government, despite having previously praised it. "I struggle to follow his line of thought," Mr Monti said. Mr Berlusconi, 76, has been mired in a series of sexual and financial scandals.He made conflicting statements about whether he would remain in politics before launching into his sixth general election campaign. Current polls suggest the centre-left Democratic Party led by Pier Luigi Bersani would win the most votes in a general election.

BBC News - Mario Monti 'available to lead Italy'

Berlusconi in his political afterlife...

Berlusconi set to discuss Syria and Ukraine crises with Putin
Sept. 9, 2015 -- Former disgraced Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is coming to Russia on a private visit on Thursday to meet with President Vladimir Putin.
The two men are planning to discuss the crises in Ukraine and Syria, reported Russia Beyond the Headlines. The Russian government confirmed the news of Berlusconi's visit. "Yes, as far as I know, Silvio Berlusconi will come for a private visit to Russia for a few days. We don't rule out that in the next few days a personal meeting between Berlusconi and Russian President Putin may take place," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists on Wednesday.

Berlusconi-set-to-discuss-Syria-and-Ukraine-crises-with-Putin.jpg

Russian President Vladimir Putin (L) speaks during a joint news conference with Italian Prime Minister-elect Silvio Berlusconi in the Sardinian town of Porto Rotondo, Italy

Putin and Berlusconi have maintained friendly relations despite the former Italian premier's fall from grace following a series of scandals. Berlusconi, who served three times as Prime Minister of Italy, was convicted of tax fraud by the final appeals court in August 2013. Two months prior, he was sentenced to seven years in prison for having sex with an underage prostitute and for abuse of power. Berlusconi was exempted from direct imprisonment because of his age, and instead was sentenced to unpaid social community work.

Berlusconi has been among the most vocal supporters of closer ties between Russia and the European Union. In September 2014, Berlusconi accused the United States, NATO and EU of "a ridiculously and irresponsibly sanctioning approach to the Russian Federation, which cannot but defend Ukrainian citizens of Russian origin that it considers brothers."

Berlusconi set to discuss Syria and Ukraine crises with Putin

Forum List

Back