All Oscar nominees receive 75K gift bags.

Yea, how come there's no stuntment category for the Oscars?...
:eusa_eh:
Why do stuntmen not have an Oscar?
20 February 2013 - As the big names of the movie industry tackle that all-important question of what to wear to the Oscar ceremony on Sunday, there is one group of people who are still waiting for their invitation. But why do stuntmen (and women) not have an Oscar category?
Many of the films which are tipped for Oscar glory - Life of Pi, Django Unchained and Skyfall to name a few - have relied on the spectacular work of the stunt team to capture the imagination of the viewing public. There are hundreds of stunt performers who, despite great improvements in safety over the years, still risk life and limb to enhance the cinemagoing experience. Jack Gill has been setting himself on fire and crashing cars in the cause of entertainment since the mid-1970s. He has worked with some of the biggest names in the movie industry. For more than 20 years, Gill has also campaigned for stunt co-ordinators - the head of a film's stunt department - to get the recognition he thinks they deserve from the Academy. The sense of injustice he feels watching Oscar night is clear when he speaks.

_65905861_jackgill.jpg

Jack Gill at work - he has been campaigning for a stunt co-ordinator Oscar for 21 years

He says: "It's disheartening because you've put your life and blood through it. "You're sitting by yourself watching all the other department heads, and you're not in there with them. "Every single successful stunt co-ordinator I know has been sitting at home watching his film winning an Academy Award and he's not part of it." So every year since 1991 Jack Gill has petitioned the Board of Governors of the Academy to include a new category for Stunt Co-ordinator. A simple majority vote of the board members is needed to add a new award, but every year the same result comes back, despite some high-profile supporters. Gill says: "When I got Steven Spielberg and Jim Cameron and Schwarzenegger and those guys signing a petition; once I took that into the Academy, I thought they would see that all of these eminent people really believe that we deserve this. "It's voted down every year. I'm baffled."

'Sidelined'

So why do the Academy keep saying no to creating a category for stuntmen and women? One suggestion is that most people, even in Hollywood, already believe stuntmen get their own award - one which is not televised in the main ceremony. Another possible reason is internal politics. The Academy is made up of people who work in all the branches of film-making who are honoured - from hair and make-up, to the directors and actors. Those leading the campaign, including Jack Gill, are convinced members are worried that creating a totally new award could lead to their own category being dropped from the live TV awards show - which is often criticised for being too long. Gill says he has told the Academy Board that is not an issue. "We don't even want to be part of the televised show," he said. Gill adds: "You can give us our award the day before in a hotel room banquet hall. Anything, so we at least have some acknowledgement."

'Mystique' of the actor

Ben Bray's work this year is once again within touching distance of a golden statue. He was the stunt co-ordinator on director David O Russell's film Silver Linings Playbook, which has 8 Oscar nominations, and worked on another film in the running for Best Picture, Argo. He has no explanation for the reluctance of the Academy to reward stunt folk. He says: "I always question why. I think simply the Academy still wants middle America to think that their heroes, the actors, are actually doing their own stunts. "It would be a wonderful thing to see the public and moviegoers love their stuntpeople as much as they love their actors. I really think that the public would embrace the stuntmen and women as heroes themselves but then again maybe that's not what the studios really want." That complaint, that actors take all the credit, is not a new one. Even the 1980s American drama series The Fall Guy - where Lee Majors played a crime-solving Hollywood stuntman - had a theme song to that effect.

More BBC News - Why do stuntmen not have an Oscar?

Considering the ideology of many of those in Hollywood, I am confused by this. Why wouldn't they just give 75 thousand dollars per nominee to the government instead. I'm so confused.:eusa_whistle:

Oscar Swag! Inside The Distinctive Assets $75K Nominees Gift Basket | Radar Online

How disingenuous this thread topic is. Are you actually interested in intelligent discussion, in swaying perspective, in influencing peoples' thinking, or just having a big bitch fest about the left? As far as I know, there are republicans in Hollywood. People on both ends of the spectrum and everything in between accept these gift bags and have for ages. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Get real.

Oscar Losers Take Home $45,000 Gift Bag - ABC News

Everyone wins at the Oscars this Sunday. While some of some of Hollywood’s best and brightest will get to walk away with a coveted golden statuette, the nominees that don’t can console themselves with a gift bag worth more than $45,000.
This year’s goody bags include a $12,000 trip to Australia, condoms, a $600 acupuncture appointment and a package of 10 personal training sessions valued at $850. Circus lessons for the nominee’s children worth $400 are also included, as well as a $5,000 face-lift procedure, a $1,800 one-year membership to Heathrow Airport’s private VIP service, a $3,000 stay at the St. Regis Punta Mita Resort in Mexico, and Windex.

PHOTOS: Oscar Nominees Before They Were Famous
Distinctive Assets, a marketing firm, will be delivering the goody bags to the nominees who did not win. For 11 years, the firm has given consolation gift bags to Oscar nominees in the major categories who come home empty handed.
The prizes are not transferrable – meaning they only can be used by the nominees who receive them and cannot be given to friends, according to Distinctive Assets.
“It was a way for us to reach the exact talent we wanted [major nominees] without having to deal with the immense production challenges of the Hollywood/Highland area during Oscar week,” Distinctive Assets CEO Lash Fary told ABCNews.com.
<more>

Oscar Losers Take Home $45,000 Gift Bag - ABC News

Everyone wins at the Oscars this Sunday. While some of some of Hollywood’s best and brightest will get to walk away with a coveted golden statuette, the nominees that don’t can console themselves with a gift bag worth more than $45,000.
This year’s goody bags include a $12,000 trip to Australia, condoms, a $600 acupuncture appointment and a package of 10 personal training sessions valued at $850. Circus lessons for the nominee’s children worth $400 are also included, as well as a $5,000 face-lift procedure, a $1,800 one-year membership to Heathrow Airport’s private VIP service, a $3,000 stay at the St. Regis Punta Mita Resort in Mexico, and Windex.

PHOTOS: Oscar Nominees Before They Were Famous
Distinctive Assets, a marketing firm, will be delivering the goody bags to the nominees who did not win. For 11 years, the firm has given consolation gift bags to Oscar nominees in the major categories who come home empty handed.
The prizes are not transferrable – meaning they only can be used by the nominees who receive them and cannot be given to friends, according to Distinctive Assets.
“It was a way for us to reach the exact talent we wanted [major nominees] without having to deal with the immense production challenges of the Hollywood/Highland area during Oscar week,” Distinctive Assets CEO Lash Fary told ABCNews.com.
<more>

Ha! How random!

What if they don't want a facelift? Or dont have kids?

If only 'They' could/would make a few films for the sake of entertainment, I could be happier for them.

We seem to have some thought-provoking dramas among the contenders and I am not certain when I will be ready for that.

The entertainment industry supports many people and I try not to think about the excessive lifestyles. Not very successfully most of the time.

I wasn't very happy during the past campaign season about the excessive amount of money spent.

The Academy Awards is nothing more than a massive exercise in group masturbation.

Narcissists awarding each other with cute shiny statues, for being extra good at pretending to be somebody else.

Forum List

Back