All or Nothing: Buffalo football

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This is a great story.

In 1958, the University of Buffalo football team won eight of nine regular-season games and was awarded the Lambert Cup as the best small-school program in the eastern United States. Team co-captains Nick Bottini and Lou Reale received the trophy during a Sunday night broadcast of "The Ed Sullivan Show" and dined that evening in Manhattan's famous Toots Shor's Restaurant.

Days later, the Bulls were invited to face Florida State in the 13th annual Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, Fla. -- still the school's only bowl bid in 102 years of football.

In anticipation of their trip south, players were measured for new sport coats at The Kleinhans Company in downtown Buffalo. But before fabric for the coats ever was cut, the university learned that the team's two African-American players, starting halfback Willie Evans and reserve defensive end Mike Wilson, were not welcome in Orlando.

The Orlando High School Athletic Association, the Tangerine Bowl Stadium's leaseholder, prohibited blacks and whites from playing together. Despite the protestations of the Orlando Elks Lodge, the bowl game's sponsor, the Bulls would be allowed to participate only if Wilson and Evans did not play.

ESPN - All Or Nothing - E-ticket

This is a great story.

Just saw a piece on ESPN 2 (Ball State is playing, and killing Western Michigan-woo hoo!)

Anyway, they interviewed the team members,,,it was really neat. They said they didn't see black/white, they saw everyone on their TEAM as BROTHERS!

It's so hard to believe that something like this happened only 50 years ago, and that there are people out there (cough cough~ some on here even) that would still like it to be like it was then in the 50's......................

Buffalo is playing Ball State right now on ESPN 2-this year will be the first bowl game they will be invited to in 50 years. (It's halftime Ball State 10-Buffalo 7)

ball state scored again, and is under revoew for a possible TD now
17-14 ball st
should they get this TD, it will be 24-14 ball st

first half was boring
was about to change channels
LOL

Are you pulling for anyone? I want Ball State to win because

A} It's an hour north of here

B} I went there part of my freshman year in college

C} It's a great underdog story

D} I want them to go undefeated this year

But, I'm glad Buffalo is going to a Bowl Game, even if they lose tonight they will still go to one. How neat, exactly 50 years later from their last invite!

Are you pulling for anyone? I want Ball State to win because

A} It's an hour north of here

B} I went there part of my freshman year in college

C} It's a great underdog story

D} I want them to go undefeated this year

But, I'm glad Buffalo is going to a Bowl Game, even if they lose tonight they will still go to one. How neat, exactly 50 years later from their last invite!
i picked ball st on a pickem league
LOL
but so did everyone else
so it doesnt really matter
would be funny as hell for them to get beat by an unranked team

Forum List

Back