All German Universities Now Free

Don't go Into debt then?

In US stay ignorant, in Europe the state invest in your education to accumulate back their investment in the uplift in taxes and economic spend later.

Also something not said here, education is doesn't export money from the economy and generally recycles money within the economy(unlike a war). The product is asset to society which gives incredible return on investment.
The main thing is to control everyone with force. It's the only way.

How about you reduce the Military and spend the money on Education....

For example a reduction of 7.5% in defense spending would give free tuition at all public colleges throughout the United States...

Thats a start...
Lame. Cut the defense budget by fifty percent, and cut taxes so that families can afford to educate their children the way they want

dblack,

No one tells kids what courses they can or can't take as long as they got the entry points. Companies try and encourage students into areas they, IT is big ask at the moment. But the general view is to go to something you actually like doing. Medicine, Veterinary and Actuary usually are top points but if don't like it you are probably going to be bad at it.
Civil Engineering 10 years ago was very hot but now is dead. Property Bust!

Engineering is usually filled with guys and Nursing with girls(Mixed gender workplaces usually work best). No matter how many times organisations ask for them to be mixed. It is down to the simple choices of the individuals involved.

I have a friend back in school who the points to do anything (rare <1%). He did archaeology (low points) but today is a lecture in a top UK university. His choice, but his course cost the same amount as Medicine, which was free at the time.

I just don't see the point of funneling all this money through the state. Other than to give government control over how we educate our kids.

For example a reduction of 7.5% in defense spending would give free tuition at all public colleges throughout the United States...

Thats a start...

Then who's gonna defend your sorry ass when the rushkies want you

Oh, that's right

We will

So in Ireland has to be scared of a Russia. They would have to go through Europe who spend twice as much combined as Russia on defense. They also have two nuclear powers.

So Russia is going to go through all that to get to Ireland, a country which the Brits couldn't hold on to when it was next door.

Russia would collapse in the morning if it started a war... It relies on EU gas and oil money to survive... it accounts for about 68% of there government revenue.

Lets put this in perspective: Russia total Government spend is $400 bn of that $275bn is oil and gas revenue. Actually this number is higher as about $366bn in revenue enters the country.
Of that $75bn goes on military spending. Russia can't print money like US.

If a complete embargo on Russian oil and gas happened in Europe tomorrow, Russia Government would have revenue of $125bn. Simple maths tells you that isn't that much to run a country without some very annoyed workers.

It s Time To Drive Russia Bankrupt -- Again - Forbes

Simply put Russia can be taken without a shot fired... We can just order from different source for 6 months. There isn't the infrastructure to deliver to China and China might just as interested to keep Russia down too.

So am I worried about Russia,... Sorry nope...

So many words to just say what you really mean

"We don't have to worry, you guys will have our backs"

See how simple that was?

Read the post, I specifically explain that together we are bigger Russia, more wealthy than Russia and we pay there meal ticket... Russia's problem with EU is that all its old friends want to join us. And joining EU has rules like human rights, proper law enforcement, equal pay, massive reduction in corruption...
If all of Russia's Neighbours join EU and gain the prosperity that comes with that, then Russia internally ask 'Why not us?'.
Russia is not on offense, it is on defense and it is finding it increasingly difficult. Ukraine was about EU expansion.

Russia is very worried. There economy is totally dependent on Oil and Gas supply and prices which they sell to EU. Fracking and alternative sources of energy can affect that. The EU has enough storage capacity for 4 - 6 months and can buy Gas in America temporarily. We can bankrupt Russia without much impact to our economy buy reducing our buying by 25-33% for 2 years. Little or no impact on us and we would destroy the Russian Economy.
File:EC-EU-enlargement_animation.gif

Over and over you write about how others will bail you out.

Nuff said

No bail out here. We don't think we are the world's police but we do provide peacekeepers to the UN. We keep a small highly trained professional army which is all we need. We have a highly effective diplomatic corp.

We are just not scared of anyone. You are. Even our police aren't armed. Gun violence is low and our past with the british have shown we are one of the last people in the world to invade and try and hold.
The British Army could even hold south Armagh an area 20 * 20 miles be able to travel on ground with using heavy armour. Ireland practically invented low impact guerilla warfare as it is known today.

In US stay ignorant, in Europe the state invest in your education to accumulate back their investment in the uplift in taxes and economic spend later.

Also something not said here, education is doesn't export money from the economy and generally recycles money within the economy(unlike a war). The product is asset to society which gives incredible return on investment.

Thats a start...
Lame. Cut the defense budget by fifty percent, and cut taxes so that families can afford to educate their children the way they want

dblack,

No one tells kids what courses they can or can't take as long as they got the entry points. Companies try and encourage students into areas they, IT is big ask at the moment. But the general view is to go to something you actually like doing. Medicine, Veterinary and Actuary usually are top points but if don't like it you are probably going to be bad at it.

Engineering is usually filled with guys and Nursing with girls(Mixed gender workplaces usually work best). No matter how many times organisations ask for them to be mixed. It is down to the simple choices of the individuals involved.

I have a friend back in school who the points to do anything (rare <1%). He did archaeology (low points) but today is a lecture in a top UK university. His choice, but his course cost the same amount as Medicine, which was free at the time.

I just don't see the point of funneling all this money through the state. Other than to give government control over how we educate our kids.

The best run educational systems in the world are state funded.
The Top 10 And Counting Education Systems In The World Edudemic

It is not to say that private industry is bad at everything, in a lot of cases they are way better than Public funded but Education is one which the empirical data sides with public funding.
Let me say that we have religious orders who work with the state in Education. We don't do issues like prayer class and swearing allegiance to anything. We have religious studies and civics as subjects by choice. Catholic run schools are popular and paid for by the state, if you don't want to go there you have a choice of another but many other religions go to them. Franciscan Brothers schools (Public) have better results than the best Private schools in Dublin. Where I live there is no private schools, no need.

Thats a start...

dblack,

It is not to say that private industry is bad at everything, in a lot of cases they are way better than Public funded but Education is one which the empirical data sides with public funding.
Let me say that we have religious orders who work with the state in Education. We don't do issues like prayer class and swearing allegiance to anything. We have religious studies and civics as subjects by choice. Catholic run schools are popular and paid for by the state, if you don't want to go there you have a choice of another but many other religions go to them. Franciscan Brothers schools (Public) have better results than the best Private schools in Dublin. Where I live there is no private schools, no need.

Do home schoolers receive full state funding as well?

Thats a start...

dblack,

Parents have a constitutional right to educate their children at home. But the child has rights too, the child has to receive a education and has to show progression.

Truth is I know no one or heard of anyone who has or is educated at home. Personally the rights of the child should be respected, children home schooled can be susceptible to be raised in isolation, raised in a myopic environment and can be abused for years without any visibility to the outside world. Teachers spot abuse and are usually best source for this type of behaviour.
'
  1. 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18.
  2. 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.'

This is not to say all homeschooling bad, but were does the rights of the child start... Ireland is pro-rights of the child over the rights of the parent. Parents are considered primary educators. There is nothing wrong with a responsible mother wanting to educate your child but the question from most Irish people is why?
And most of those answers usually consist of interfering with the childs rights. So not never but highly questionable.

Last edited:

dblack,

Parents have a constitutional right to educate their children at home. But the child has rights too, the child has to receive a education and has to show progression.

Truth is I know no one or heard of anyone who has or is educated at home. Personally the rights of the child should be respected, children home schooled can be susceptible to be raised in isolation, raised in a myopic environment and can be abused for years without any visibility to the outside world. Teachers spot abuse and are usually best source for this type of behaviour.
'
  1. 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18.
  2. 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.'

This is not to say all homeschooling bad, but were does the rights of the child start... Ireland is pro-rights of the child over the rights of the parent. Parents are considered primary educators. There is nothing wrong with a responsible mother wanting to educate your child but the question from most Irish people is why?
And most of those answers usually consist of interfering with the childs rights. So not never but highly questionable.

I was actually asking whether home schoolers are equally funded by the state, but your answer gets more to the point. Public education is about controlling people.

dblack,

'

:lmao:

dblack,

'

I was actually asking whether home schoolers are equally funded by the state, but your answer gets more to the point. Public education is about controlling people.

Nope and their children are subject to testing to make sure they are getting an education. Every child has a right to an education despite what they parents think. The Parent in our constitution are the primary educators but the right of the child is also cared for.

We actually had a referendum on this only a few months ago and it had a responding yes. There was some horrific cases of parents abusing their kids while keeping them out of school for long periods while injuries were covered up. Irish people said asked why government didn't step in and it was discovered that the law prevented them and protected the parents.

Homeschooling is extremely rare and actually there is little policy about it really.

There is no grant and the Irish people wouldn't tolerate one either. They would definitely complain if the tax money went on that. Irish people are very positive about our education system it is rated 9th in the world. There was a woman advocating on our main tv discussion show a few months ago (she was American) and while the presenter was very balanced the audience were very critical.

I think the main reason for that is because access to college in Ireland is highly competitive for the best courses and keeping your kids from the best education while legal, is considered to be selfish by parents. Parents would find it next to impossible to have the knowledge and the ability to teach the specialist subjects needed to perform in our state exams. We pay our teachers well, when my mother retired she was making about $110k a year(they start at about $45-50k a year, with 10 years over $60k). Paying teachers that much gets you good teachers who are very good on the main. Also because the points race and education focused society, students know it up to them to get what they want.
Also Ireland is a very social country and learning social skills is really something you learn by being exposed to large groups of your peers. This isn't a government heavy hand thing, this is a common sense thing.
We don't feel the government is controlling our education, we feel we are. We are a small country in that fact and demand the best. We are not happy being 9th we want to be 1st. 6th is very possible, Finland is hard to beat without some major changes.

Last edited:

Nope and their children are subject to testing to make sure they are getting an education. Every child has a right to an education despite what they parents think. The Parent in our constitution are the primary educators but the right of the child is also cared for.

We actually had a referendum on this only a few months ago and it had a responding yes. There was some horrific cases of parents abusing their kids while keeping them out of school for long periods while injuries were covered up. Irish people said asked why government didn't step in and it was discovered that the law prevented them and protected the parents.

Homeschooling is extremely rare and actually there is little policy about it really.

There is no grant and the Irish people wouldn't tolerate one either. They would definitely complain if the tax money went on that. Irish people are very positive about our education system it is rated 9th in the world. There was a woman advocating on our main tv discussion show a few months ago (she was American) and while the presenter was very balanced the audience were very critical.

I think the main reason for that is because access to college in Ireland is highly competitive for the best courses and keeping your kids from the best education while legal, is considered to be selfish by parents. Parents would find it next to impossible to have the knowledge and the ability to teach the specialist subjects needed to perform in our state exams. We pay our teachers well, when my mother retired she was making about $110k a year(they start at about $45-50k a year, with 10 years over $60k). Paying teachers that much gets you good teachers who are very good on the main. Also because the points race and education focused society, students know it up to them to get what they want.

Hmm... you start off saying "Nope", presumably in response to may claim that public education is about control, but then you go on to list some of the ways that government should use public education to control people.

Also Ireland is a very social country and learning social skills is really something you learn by being exposed to large groups of your peers. This isn't a government heavy hand thing, this is a common sense thing.
We don't feel the government is controlling our education, we feel we are. We are a small country in that fact and demand the best. We are not happy being 9th we want to be 1st. 6th is very possible, Finland is hard to beat without some major changes.

Now we're getting closer to the truth. You admit it's about government controlling people, but it's all good because, hey, "Democracy!".

Hmm... you start off saying "Nope", presumably in response to may claim that public education is about control, but then you go on to list some of the ways that government should use public education to control people.

Now we're getting closer to the truth. You admit it's about government controlling people, but it's all good because, hey, "Democracy!".

Where is the control... There is plenty of choice, the proof is in that there is so few homeschooled in Ireland.
You have not shown where there is all this control.

Can you give me examples of it because I sure didn't feel it when I was getting educated. Actually I would say that especially our Universities are very much a free thinking environment which encouraged independent thought.

I don't think you get it... We know our politicians and they have very interest in controlling the masses... We also have a very responsive electoral system unlike a congress in the US with approval in the teens and a 90% incumbency...

I say half our politicians lost their job in the last election if not more. We have more than two parties (about 6 with a good few independents).

Forum List

Back