All German Universities Now Free

I'll say the same thing to you as I did to my sil: if those attending aren't paying then someone else is ... that doesn't make it free.

Any liberals want to endorse the German system of education? Rememebr, no slack based on race or sex. You pass or you fail. Judging from all the outrage expressed here on a regular basis, I doubt even one liberal will agree to the German system.

It is not free, everyone gives money to the government, which gives it to smart people. Awesome! In theory, the soon-to-be rich can get rich for free.

Any liberals want to endorse the German system of education? Rememebr, no slack based on race or sex. You pass or you fail. Judging from all the outrage expressed here on a regular basis, I doubt even one liberal will agree to the German system.

It is not free, everyone gives money to the government, which gives it to smart people. Awesome! In theory, the soon-to-be rich can get rich for free.

I don't think wer ready for a by the sword pass or fail system here.

Don't worry liberals, rich people in Germany would never cheat to get their kids into college...

...which to you guys means special classes to pass the test.

I don't think we're ready for a by the sword pass or fail system here.

Might be helpful if we gave the German test to American students though, in English of course.

I see you've been studying your Karl Marx. Too bad you haven't studied our founders papers as well.

You don't get what "free" means at all in a modern society.

We are not going to live in your feudal age.

Where in heaven's name did you get the idea that taxation is marxism.

Your cultural McCarthyism was stomped down long ago: the people will not allow any resurrection.

Thinking Ahead.....tuition Free Higher Education US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
This thread already got over 1,000 visits.

US already pays for University education: Student Low interest Loans.

Germany tests all students at age 14. Pass you go into a Pre University Program. Fail, you go to Trade School.

You want to try that in the USA......good luck.

Oh and by the way, no Affirmative Action.

Just as President Obama said (and jackass Santorum called snobbery), everyone should have the opportunity for APPROPRIATE education.

Sure.

That's why they wait until you're 14 in Germany to decide if you're University Material.

You have 14 fucking years to get your shit TOGETHER. You don't? No problem; Learn to lay bricks, or bake bread.

I'd love to see a single school system in the USA do this.

Can you join the Military if your not university material?

Why not?

There are few openings. The Bundeswehr does not really require very many volunteers.

Might be helpful if we gave the German test to American students though, in English of course.

You think being in English would make a difference?

[

I didn't answer because I don't know.

Neither do you or Uncensored2008.

Unlike you two, I don't need to pretend I know figures that I do not.

It's about 3%, as the Wiki article said.

You see, America has this stupid idea that everyone is equal in ability, so about 60% of our population enters a University - with only about 10% completion rates. With what we waste on federal loans and grants to minorities who drop out anyway, we COULD fully fund state Universities for that 6% who actually have the brains and motivation to complete a 4 year degree.

Germany allocates educational resources, we don't .

You think being in English would make a difference?

I'm an optimist, sure.

[

I didn't answer because I don't know.

Neither do you or Uncensored2008.

Unlike you two, I don't need to pretend I know figures that I do not.

It's about 3%, as the Wiki article said.

You see, America has this stupid idea that everyone is equal in ability, so about 60% of our population enters a University - with only about 10% completion rates. With what we waste on federal loans and grants to minorities who drop out anyway, we COULD fully fund state Universities for that 6% who actually have the brains and motivation to complete a 4 year degree.

Germany allocates educational resources, we don't .

We don't and I'd be astonished if we could, allocate resources as conservatively as Germany does in order to fund free universities for the 3% qualifying candidates.

By the way I hope those 3% include a diverse cross section of the German Population: I would hate to believe any demographic would be under-represented.

Lads,
I will explain the Irish System which is about $3000 a year with 40% waived that fee based on parents income.

First about 50% of students in Ireland goto public universities and colleges. There are private colleges as well but most employers believe it is for kids either too lazy or too stupid for public college.

Selection is simple, at 16 you pick 6-7 subjects for your Leaving Cert which you study for two years. You do state exams in and you results (top 6 subjects) are given points(i.e. A+ 100, A 90,....). You can repeat the following year.

During your final year you select which courses you like to do in order of preference (e.g 1. Dentistry in Dublin University, 2. Dentistry in Cork, 3. Engineering in Galway....). Changes are allowed right up until results day.

A few days after results the national papers release publicly your number(not name) and the course you are offered. Selection is done on supply and demand, best results first. Accept or reject on that. The accept numbers are published on that day too. Very transparent and it is your right to be accepted if get the grades, don't get the grades you are not accepted (no exceptions, you would be taking someone elses place).

So the smartest hard working kids get rewarded no matter what their parents wealth situation is. Parents with money pay for extra tuition but the exams themselves are geared more to creativeness & complex problem solving rather than rote learning.

So the system is supply and demand, hard work rewarded. No special rules for minorities or disadvantaged but schools of disadvantaged areas get more help and are encouraged to educate themselves out of poverty.

So how is this paid, simple. Ireland discovered like a lot of countries a long time ago that a college education on average pays back 9 times on its investment in taxes later when comparing to non college educated taxpayers. This is a no brainer for the government.

And just in case you wonder are corporations complaining, Yes, they complain anytime there is a single dime taken out of education. They are very vocal on the money invested and the type of education given. They have repeatedly stated that Universities are not job training but a method to develop rounded individuals who can enter the workplace with background knowledge in the field they are entering. They want people who think for a living and can work with others and are very critical of rote learning. That comes from both the indigenous companies as well as the Multinationals.

Any thoughts?

Lads,
I will explain the Irish System which is about $3000 a year with 40% waived that fee based on parents income.

First about 50% of students in Ireland goto public universities and colleges. There are private colleges as well but most employers believe it is for kids either too lazy or too stupid for public college.

Selection is simple, at 16 you pick 6-7 subjects for your Leaving Cert which you study for two years. You do state exams in and you results (top 6 subjects) are given points(i.e. A+ 100, A 90,....). You can repeat the following year.

During your final year you select which courses you like to do in order of preference (e.g 1. Dentistry in Dublin University, 2. Dentistry in Cork, 3. Engineering in Galway....). Changes are allowed right up until results day.

A few days after results the national papers release publicly your number(not name) and the course you are offered. Selection is done on supply and demand, best results first. Accept or reject on that. The accept numbers are published on that day too. Very transparent and it is your right to be accepted if get the grades, don't get the grades you are not accepted (no exceptions, you would be taking someone elses place).

So the smartest hard working kids get rewarded no matter what their parents wealth situation is. Parents with money pay for extra tuition but the exams themselves are geared more to creativeness & complex problem solving rather than rote learning.

So the system is supply and demand, hard work rewarded. No special rules for minorities or disadvantaged but schools of disadvantaged areas get more help and are encouraged to educate themselves out of poverty.

So how is this paid, simple. Ireland discovered like a lot of countries a long time ago that a college education on average pays back 9 times on its investment in taxes later when comparing to non college educated taxpayers. This is a no brainer for the government.

And just in case you wonder are corporations complaining, Yes, they complain anytime there is a single dime taken out of education. They are very vocal on the money invested and the type of education given. They have repeatedly stated that Universities are not job training but a method to develop rounded individuals who can enter the workplace with background knowledge in the field they are entering. They want people who think for a living and can work with others and are very critical of rote learning. That comes from both the indigenous companies as well as the Multinationals.

Any thoughts?

Sure. I got thoughts. I'm thinking, why is it the job government to provide corporations with a compliant workforce? Why should taxpayers be coerced into subsidizing a program that conditions their children to serve corporations?

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Sure. I got thoughts. I'm thinking, why is it the job government to provide corporations with a compliant workforce? Why should taxpayers be coerced into subsidizing a program that conditions their children to serve corporations?

Corporations pay taxes.

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Yes.

Why does anyone learn Irish?.....I mean, The Irish speak English, so what is the point?

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Reality...
Companies hire employees who pay tax, spend money and add to economy/society. It is for the betterment of all society.
As for a 'compliant workforce', which workforce is more compliant, one that is so much debt coming out of college they have to rush find a job while a debt free to have a choice.
There is no serving here, the business community have an input into the process and why shouldn't they. So has the Arts, Culture, Health Services... The business community have an important voice...
The government is trying to create a workforce that will compete with other countries workforce. An educated workforce is essential for our society to trive.

Forum List

Back